How will Stevens guilty verdict effect his campaign?

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Will Alaskans elect him anyway?

Is Palin next?

Who built her house and how much did she pay for it?

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens vowed to fight his Monday conviction on federal corruption charges, a verdict he attributed to "repeated instances of prosecutorial misconduct."

"I will fight this unjust verdict with every ounce of energy I have," the 84-year-old Stevens, the Senate's longest-serving Republican, said in a written statement after the jury came back Monday afternoon. "I am innocent."

Stevens was convicted of seven counts of making false statements on Senate ethics forms to hide hundreds of thousands of dollars in gifts and work on his Alaska home from an oilfield contractor at the center of a corruption investigation in the state.

The verdict came days before he is to face voters in a neck-and-neck re-election bid. He vowed to get the trial's results overturned and added, "I remain a candidate for the United States Senate."

Stevens is locked in a tight race against his Democratic challenger, Mark Begich. Stevens hopes to retain the seat he has held since 1968.

A poll by Ivan Moore Research conducted October 17-19 found Begich slightly leading the race 46-45, within the poll's margin of error of plus-or-minus 4.4 percentage points.

The longest-serving Republican senator in history, Stevens becomes the first senator to be convicted of a felony since 1981.

Stevens faces a maximum sentence of up to to 35 years in prison -- five years for each of the seven counts.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/27/stevens.jurors/index.html

I like cashews but I still think Palin is a fraud.

Now they are passing around the internet that she is the CIC of the 49th Missile Intercept unit based in Alaska. She isn't. It's in the Army chain of command.

But she does have all that experience from Wasilla and with her close ties with contractors, she is ready to take Stevens place.:razz:

This from Ted Stevens' website:

“I will come home on Wednesday and ask for your vote”
Senator Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) today released the following statement about the future of his campaign:
“I am obviously disappointed in the verdict but not surprised given the repeated instances of prosecutorial misconduct in this case. The prosecutors had to report themselves to the Justice Department’s Office of Professional Responsibility during the trial for ethical violations. Exculpatory evidence was hidden from my lawyers. A witness was kept from us and then sent back to Alaska. The Government lawyers allowed evidence to be introduced that they knew was false. I will fight this unjust verdict with every ounce of energy I have.
“I am innocent. This verdict is the result of the unconscionable manner in which the Justice Department lawyers conducted this trial. I ask that Alaskans and my Senate colleagues stand with me as I pursue my rights. I remain a candidate for the United States Senate. I will come home on Wednesday and ask for your vote.”
October 27, 2008

Now they are passing around the internet that she is the CIC of the 49th Missile Intercept unit based in Alaska. She isn't. It's in the Army chain of command.

But she does have all that experience from Wasilla and with her close ties with contractors, she is ready to take Stevens place.:razz:

i'm glad you're here to pay attention to really stupid shit like this.

Godspeed, chrissie, Godspeed you on your rounds.

This from Ted Stevens' website:

Stevens could have delayed the trial till after the election.

His stupidity may win a filibuster proof Senate for the Democrats.

Last edited:

As a part of the Alaska National Guard, in which Palin is CIC. She's also the commander in chief of the Alaska State Defense Force (ASDF), a federally recognized militia incorporated into Homeland Security's counter terrorism plans. Palin is privy to military and intelligence secrets that are vital to the entire country's defense. As Governor of Alaska , Palin is briefed on highly classified military issues, homeland security, and counter terrorism. Her exposure to classified material may rival even Biden's and certainly by far exceeds Obama's. I doubt she comprehends half the shit she is briefed on, but the claim is legitimate.

As a part of the Alaska National Guard, in which Palin is CIC. She's also the commander in chief of the Alaska State Defense Force (ASDF), a federally recognized militia incorporated into Homeland Security's counter terrorism plans. Palin is privy to military and intelligence secrets that are vital to the entire country's defense. As Governor of Alaska , Palin is briefed on highly classified military issues, homeland security, and counter terrorism. Her exposure to classified material may rival even Biden's and certainly by far exceeds Obama's. I doubt she comprehends half the shit she is briefed on, but the claim is legitimate.

If she had that type of experience, why didn't she say so? She said that her foreign policy experience was in the fact that she shared a maritime border with Russia. (OK.... "I can see Russia from my house" is funnier). So, my sense is that she COULD have requested such briefings, but had no need to and didn't. Because if she had, she'd have said so gladly. You betcha. ;)

If she had that type of experience, why didn't she say so? She said that her foreign policy experience was in the fact that she shared a maritime border with Russia. (OK.... "I can see Russia from my house" is funnier). So, my sense is that she COULD have requested such briefings, but had no need to and didn't. Because if she had, she'd have said so gladly. You betcha. ;)

Perhaps she just an idiot and it never dawned on her that this type of access is unique for a Govenor. I agree she is an imbecile, but the claim is still legitimate.

Mark Begich over a week go had pulled one point ahead in the last poll. Alaska is a funny place, they are very independently united and do not have much regard in some cases for the lower 48. The fact the trial was held in Washington DC will also play well with the unspoken, "a bunch of east coast liberals" nailed our guy." It seems though that there were people who started talking about Palin so the Republican lock up there might not be so secure. Given Palin's performance as VP pick maybe people will say enough lets vote in the Democrat. At this point, I would say it's still a toss up until we get some more polling information. This can't hurt Mark Begich though.

Everyone who disagrees with you is an idiot.

No, just the idiots. The kind that are more infatuated with Palin than her husband. That kind.

Who gives a flip who built her house and what does it have to do with Stevens being found guilty? The fact that you cannot even focus on an issue with some Palin drool spewing onto the page makes you a freakin' idiot.

Really rather simple, simp.

Forum List

Back