How Very Un-European

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
PE will have a conniption! Imagine someone, gasp! a European someone hinting that a military might be for more than peacekeeping! :shock:

http://www.euobserver.com/?sid=9&aid=18639

NATO chief would not rule out EU states going to war
11.03.2005 - 10:00 CET | By Honor Mahony
The head of NATO has suggested that the EU's battle groups could be used for going to war.

In an interview with El Pais on Thursday (10 March), Jaap de Hoop Scheffer indicated he did NOT believe that the battle groups - the first of which are due to be operational in 2007 - would only be used for peacekeeping, as EU officials suggest.

"Why is the EU creating battle groups? It is not just to help rebuild a country".

"It may be, that to keep the peace, combat is necessary. If the EU creates battlegroups and NATO a rapid-reaction force, I would say we shouldn't think the EU is for soft power and NATO for tough power", said Mr de Hoop Scheffer.

According to EU plans, the 13 battle groups will contain 1,500 soldiers each and are to be mobilised within 10 days to trouble spots around the world.

They will operate within a 6000 km radius and will be equipped to stay in an area for up to four months.

Any suggestion of the battle groups be used to go to war is likely to be strongly resisted by neutral countries such as Sweden, Finland and Ireland - all 25 member states have to give their approval before the EU may engage in military operations.

According to the new EU Constitution, if it is adopted, the EU's military capabilities can be used for ""joint disarmament operations, humanitarian and rescue tasks, military advice and assistance tasks, conflict prevention and peacekeeping tasks, tasks of combat forces in crisis management, including peacemaking and post-conflict stabilisation [Art. III-309]".

Among EU-managed operations to date have been a mission to the Democratic Republic of Congo in 2003 and the taking over from NATO in Bosnia at the end of last year.

"According to EU plans, the 13 battle groups will contain 1,500 soldiers each and are to be mobilised within 10 days to trouble spots around the world."

lol. I can see it now:

Day 1: "This is a Fox News Alert! A huge earthquake has just struck the tiny third-world nation of Asscrackylvania, thousands are dead and hundreds of thousands without basic necessities such as clean water. Local gangs and militias are running amok."

Day 2: "Discussions in Brussels for reaction to the disaster scheduled for tomorrow"

Day 3: "US and [insert ally here] forces arrive in Asscrackylvania and distribute supplies. In other news the European Union is caught in a debate as to wether to send 10 or all thirteen battle groups as peacekeepers."

Day 4: "EU is still debating...."

Day 5: "Still debating..."

Day 6: "A Cholera epidemic has broken out, gangs seize numerous small towns and villages."

Day 7: "US and [insert ally here] forces restore order in numerous small towns and villages."

Day 8: "The member nations of the EU have decided: 11 battle groups will be sent. EU leaders congradulate themselves on working together to solve this crisis."

Day 9: "Mobilization for EU battle groups to begin tomorrow, after necessary paperwork is filed and red tape is cut."

Day 10: "A problem, the EU has not transport 'copters."

Day 11: "The EU has rented helicopters from China in exchange for nuclear secrets and weapons technology. I know, but don't worry. The Chinese swear that they will only be used peacefully."

Day 12-15: "Awaiting delivery of helicopters"

Day 16: "Helicopters delivered. Unfortunately they must fly over the airspace of neighboring Armpitistan, which is currently denying them access. Asked why, Armpitistan's envoy cited an insulting comment from an EU official, who said that something 'smelled worse than an arm pit'."

Day 17: "Debate on the Armpitistan crisis. An EU member suggesting simply flying over anyway, seeing as Armpitistan has no military or anti-aircraft to speak of. Jacques Chirac dismissed this as 'rude'."

Day 18: "US and allied forces have nearly finished restoring electricity to Asscrackyvania"

Day 19: "The EU reaches a decision. The official who made the offensive comment has been fired, thus placating Armpitistan. EU forces head out"

Day 20: "The leader of the gang in control of one of the major ghetto's has issued the following statement: 's*** man, them EU pussies aint s***, man we like f*** they a**es up. We got like, guns and s***.' Spanish Prime Minister Zappatero has immediatly withdrawn all Spanish troops from the battle groups, saying that their presence might anger the gangs, and they would no longer like Spain. The French have also withdrawn over this threat."

Days 21-26: "New Forces are being drawn up for the battle groups. US and allied forces have finished setting up most basic infastructure."

Days 27-30: "The EU forces travel to Asscrackylvania."

Day 31: "Eu forces arrive to find infrastrucrure at 94%, most homes having water restored, and nearly all the gangs placated. EU leaders conradulate themselves on their contribution, and add 'this shows how valuable our cooperation is'. A senior administration official was accidently caught on camera saying 'what the f*** did they do, exactly?'. Democratic lawmakers are up in arms, saying that this unilateralism can lead to no good. 'the President must accept the fact that we can't do this alone, and we need to work with the EU.', said Senator Harry Reid"

padisha emperor said:
Theim, you're so funny that I'm falling from my chair....

The EU will make these groups, but the States member of EU can all the same act to help the populations.....

Right PE, the EU with the exceptionw of UK, Italy, and Poland have proven they do NOT want their forces deployed anywhere NOT in their own interests. Which is why we find FR in the Ivory Coast, but under UN in Kosovo.

Kosovo is NOT in US interests and we should be out. The ME is in US interests and those of our allies.

Kathianne said:
Right PE, the EU with the exceptionw of UK, Italy, and Poland have proven they do NOT want their forces deployed anywhere NOT in their own interests. Which is why we find FR in the Ivory Coast, but under UN in Kosovo.

Kosovo is NOT in US interests and we should be out. The ME is in US interests and those of our allies.

Afghanistan is that currently a Nato operation ?

nosarcasm said:
Afghanistan is that currently a Nato operation ?
Afghanistan I believe is getting support from NATO in the training of leaders. France will only do on their own soil.

Then again critics....

When I was speaking of "help the population", I was thinking at the Tsunami, or natural troubles.

I didn't mean a war against a sovereign nation, who didn't threaten the world and the USA, and with NO WMD.

But you said it , USA went here for their interests.... :D

padisha emperor said:
Then again critics....

When I was speaking of "help the population", I was thinking at the Tsunami, or natural troubles.

I didn't mean a war against a sovereign nation, who didn't threaten the world and the USA, and with NO WMD.

But you said it , USA went here for their interests.... :D

What natural "troubles" have been "troubling" the Ivory Coast? How badly were they hit by the Tsunami? :D

Forum List

Back