How to stop the police from breaking the law, Arizona style.

There really is no means by which laws can differentiate and differ to police.
If you have to remain 8' from police, they police would have to also remain 8' away from everyone else.
There is no legal means by which police can be granted any circle of exclusivity, because they are not a source of legal authority, we are. Police can only do what we can do, and no more.
police are the authority. you got out side you door you are bound by the laws of the land and have to obey a lawful order from a cop. there job is to in force the law and yes they can be hold accountable if they break it too.

"
A law in the US state of Arizona will ban people from filming police officers at short distances, with possible fines or jail for those who don't comply.

Critics call the law a threat to free speech and the right to a free press.

Police are often filmed by bystanders and footage has occasionally resulted in officer misconduct being exposed."

If it's not filmed, it's not illegal.... WAYYYHEYYYYY!!!

Correct me if I am wrong but are not most states about 8-10 feet for press or citizens NOT involved in said incident being recorded?
MAGA

It is not stupid. 8 feet is reasonable enough to allow police to do their job without interference from those outside of the incident. Those involved can record regardless of distance.
MAGA

It would seem reasonable to deny the KKK the right to hold a rally in a city park also...........but there is that whole 1st Amendment thing.

It would seem reasonable to deny the KKK the right to hold a rally in a city park also...........but there is that whole 1st Amendment thing.
Not in the same universe. If the kkk rally would be interfering with an officer doing their duty then it would be the same thing. I am on your side, I actually love watching auditors expose the police. But there has to be something to keep them from interfering with doing their duties. 8 feet is not very restrictive at all.
MAGA

Not in the same universe. If the kkk rally would be interfering with an officer doing their duty then it would be the same thing. I am on your side, I actually love watching auditors expose the police. But there has to be something to keep them from interfering with doing their duties. 8 feet is not very restrictive at all.
MAGA

Arrested for filming the police. He did not approach the officer, the officer approached him but he was not the original "suspect".

A teen filmed LAPD officers arresting his friend. Then he ended up in handcuffs

It is not stupid. 8 feet is reasonable enough to allow police to do their job without interference from those outside of the incident. Those involved can record regardless of distance.
MAGA

That's not the point here. The point is that if someone is interfering with the police, it doesn't matter if it's eight feet or ten feet or two feet. The point is the law could easily just be "don't interfere with the police doing their job".

I mean, WHO'S MEASURING?

Arrested for filming the police. He did not approach the officer, the officer approached him but he was not the original "suspect".

A teen filmed LAPD officers arresting his friend. Then he ended up in handcuffs

I get it. I am NOT saying what the cop did was/is right. If LA or California has a law that says you have to stay X amount of feet away and you do not, you broke a law. If the cops arrest you and you are outside of mandated distance THEY BROKE THE LAW.

MAGA

That's not the point here. The point is that if someone is interfering with the police, it doesn't matter if it's eight feet or ten feet or two feet. The point is the law could easily just be "don't interfere with the police doing their job".

I mean, WHO'S MEASURING?

There has to be a guideline a little more clear than just the officers "judgement" of interference or everyone recording could be arrested.
MAGA

If you have to remain 8' from police, they police would have to also remain 8' away from everyone else.
There is no legal means by which police can be granted any circle of exclusivity, because they are not a source of legal authority, we are. Police can only do what we can do, and no more.
Especially when police can keep moving inside the eight feet and demand that people move back

I get it. I am NOT saying what the cop did was/is right. If LA or California has a law that says you have to stay X amount of feet away and you do not, you broke a law. If the cops arrest you and you are outside of mandated distance THEY BROKE THE LAW.

MAGA

They arrested him for filming when they approached him. All of this is over people refusing to accept that the police are going to be held accountable for their actions also.

They arrested him for filming when they approached him. All of this is over people refusing to accept that the police are going to be held accountable for their actions also.

Look I agree, but with at least something concrete on paper their is at least a ground rule.
If interfering with a police matter is left only to officer discretion then it will be a free for all for the cops.
MAGA

Look I agree, but with at least something concrete on paper their is at least a ground rule.
If interfering with a police matter is left only to officer discretion then it will be a free for all for the cops.
MAGA

Actually interfering is and has always been an arrestable offense.

There has to be a guideline a little more clear than just the officers "judgement" of interference or everyone recording could be arrested.
MAGA

Well, the reality is when it comes to going to court, who's got a tape measure out? If someone's interfering with police work over 8 feet, it isn't a problem?

not true,, police are granted arrest powers by the people that we dont have,, and this law getting struck down is a win for the police since they now determine how far back you can be,,

Forum List

Back