How to deal with Iran....now

Discussion in 'Iran' started by DeadCanDance, Dec 5, 2007.

1. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    There's really no point or substance to making bellicose proclamations about world war three, or threats about bombing the shit out of them. Belligerence isn't the way to go, now that Iran has demonstrated a fair bit of "semi-good" behaviour, with respect to stopping its nuclear weapons research, and cooperating to a good extent (if not perfect) with IAEA inspectors.

Bottom line: Cowboy diplomacy, and belligerent NeoCon warhawk chants will not bring this to a satisfactory conclusion.

A more tactful, yet strong diplomatic effort involving carrots and sticks is warranted. Which requires a president with half a brain, and a realistic sense of how the world works.

For example, Barak Obama strikes the correct tone, between belligerence and cooperation:

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I'm starting to wonder what all of these Iran threads would look like merged since there seems ot be reason for new threads to say the same thing daily. Working on perpetuating the liberal myth, are you?

3. DeadCanDance

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Why did you not consider it a problem until just now?

Recent Threads:

Iranian Pushes Nuclear Talks Back to Square 1
    GunnyL

Iraq blast blamed on Iran-backed militants (Multi-page thread 1 2)
    GunnyL

Bush says Iran remains a threat (Multi-page thread 1 2)
    GunnyL

Iran's Revolutionary Guards patrol Persian Gulf
    Nevadamedic

Shite Iraqis Condemn Iran For Violence
    Kathianne

Iran cracks down on 'obscene' rap music
    Shogun

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    What problem?;)

I DO notice you seem to have left off of your little laundry list all the threads YOU started that say the same thing.:lol:

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    What I find intererst is this ...

You have created an enemy. I have seen ONE (count all of 'em) conservative on this board call for the immediate invasion/bombing of Iran. The rest express a desire to keep Iran from possessing nuclear weapons. I specifically have said almost exactly what you said in one of your threads ...

I prefer a peaceful, diplomatic solution, and am not advocating giving up on that at all.

That being the case, it isn't about Iran and the issue of nuclear weapons. It's about YOU ranting about Bush and "the rightwing warmongers" you have concocted for your little show. Anyone not agreeing with your poltitical rhetoric is automatically relegated to the aforemention "rightwing warmongers" group regardless actual belief.

So why the subterfuge? Just label your threads rants about Bush and accuse anyone of not agreeing with you of whatever. Seems like that would save you a LOT of time and effort.

6. DeadCanDance

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    If Bush had bombed Iran the day before the NIE came out, which demonstrate that Iran had no nuclear weapons program, you know that nearly every republican on this board would have been in favor of it.

I would bet you any amount of money, that no republican here would have denounced bush's bombing of a phantom threat. You know that's true.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I've read your reasoning on why not to do certain things. What's missing is your suggestions of how to respond to the facts as they are.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    You stand corrected. IAEA stated that Iran DOES have a nuclear weapons program. Halting work on it merely means that.

You need to open your eyes up a bit more, bubba. There are plenty of conservatives who have repeatedly criticized Bush, myself being one of them.

How many times have I said I did not agree with the decision to invade Iraq since 2003? How many time DO I have to say it before you lefties comprehend?

If Bush gave the order to bomb Iran today, I would not agree with it, and would in fact say so.

But returning to the how many times ... is there a set number of times one must rant. harp and villify before one convinces oneself they are right? Or can you just believe something and say it once?

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Based on what? There was no suggestion that something like that was in the offing. Nice spin, or attempt.

10. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,397
    You don't think the administration and the military command (commanders who are cooperating with the status quo right now, anyway :thup: ) have already planned out all contingencies for dealing with Iran? You don't think they've already drawn up airstrike plans, possible invasion and regime change plans?

They have said that military aggression is on the table, which would mean that they are ready and willing to implement it whenever they desire.

Saying that it's merely "on the table" is just a fancy way of making people feel at ease that it might NOT be used. The fact is, that military aggression towards ANY country is "on the table". Why should it not be? The US military has an established plan, which I'm sure is updated frequently, for dealing with every possible threat from every nation.

OF COURSE military aggression towards Iran is on the table. Military aggression towards CANADA is potentially on the table. What if Canada was involved in some type of attack against us? You never know...

The only difference, is that the idea of attacking Iran pre-emptively is kept alive in people's minds by constantly talking about it on the TV news, and the internet.

The Bush admin could have secretly bombed Natanz in Iran, and automatically 35-40% of Americans would have been OK with it, just because it was a republican operation.

I can't help but wonder if those 6 nukes that were "mistakenly" sent from Minot AFB to Barksdale AFB were supposed to have been used on Iran, but people within refused to carry out the mission. It was a little strange that it happened to coincide with Israel's secret bombing operation in Syria.

For me, that's food for thought.

How can you blame people for suspecting the administration of desiring war? It's what the administration has been about since day 1.

Bush ran on a humble, non-interventionist, no nation-building foreign policy (i guess it wasn't called isolationism back then, huh?), and the day he took office there were already plans being made to deal with Iraq.

Why should anyone not suspect them of desiring a war with Iran?