How to Control Your Dreams

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
This has always been a favorite topic of mine. I learned just how powerful our minds are when I began writing computer code. I remember a very specific instance where I was in the computer lab at school, it was late, I was tired and I was stuck on resolving a problem that I just couldn't make any progress on. So I packed up, went home, grabbed something to eat, got in bed and immediately upon falling asleep began dreaming about the computer problem, continuing to work on it in my sleep. I'll be darmed if I didn't solve the problem in my dream which I was able to implement the next day.

How to Control Your Dreams
4562ba81-f254-4aa4-99f5-086ba1fe0d35_1559858529.jpg

By Serena Alagappan
Jun 28, 2019
gettyimages-855294700-1561752466.jpg

Getty Images

Ever wish you could ice skate across a winter sky, catching crumbs of gingerbread, like flakes of snow, on your tongue? How about conquering a monster in a nightmare, bouncing between mountain peaks, walking through walls, or reading minds? Have you ever longed to hold the hand of someone you loved and lost?

If you want to fulfill your fantasies, or even face your fears, you might want to try taking some control of your dreams (try being the operative). People practiced in lucid dreaming—the phenomenon of being aware that you are dreaming while you are asleep—claim that the experience allows adventure, self-discovery, and euphoric joy.

Dr. Barrett, a psychologist who teaches at Harvard Medical School and specializes in dream research, explains that “most people can learn to lucid dream, but it comes much more easily for some people than others.”

“It’s always a continuum,” says Dr. Barrett, author of The Committee of Sleep: How Artists, Scientists, and Athletes Use Their Dreams for Creative Problem Solving-And How You Can Too, and “it varies for every individual.”

The Committee of Sleep: How Artists, Scientists, and Athletes Use Their Dreams for Creative Problem Solving-And How You Can Too
Brand: Oneiroi Press amazon.com
$19.99

Some lucid dreamers recognize they’re dreaming but gain no control. Others can control their emotional reactions, but not their surroundings. Still others may “script it completely, as if creating a computer-generated animated film with a program.” Despite the striking differences between people, Dr. Barrett says that the majority of people who can recall their dreams most nights, can also increase their chances of lucid dreaming by adhering to certain techniques.

Continued here:
https://www.oprahmag.com/life/a28220559/how-to-control-your-dreams/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

You could always just get laid for real.

This has always been a favorite topic of mine. I learned just how powerful our minds are when I began writing computer code. I remember a very specific instance where I was in the computer lab at school, it was late, I was tired and I was stuck on resolving a problem that I just couldn't make any progress on. So I packed up, went home, grabbed something to eat, got in bed and immediately upon falling asleep began dreaming about the computer problem, continuing to work on it in my sleep. I'll be darmed if I didn't solve the problem in my dream which I was able to implement the next day.
I often dream about my projects and once in a while I solve a few problems in my sleep.

It's an interesting subject, because for years I've had occasional vivid, detailed dreams about dead relatives I was really close to throughout my life. I'm rational enough to know it's likely subconscious wishful thinking deep in my mind, but part of me still wants to believe these deceased loved ones really did visit me in dreams. So to heavily paraphrase The Sixth Sense little boy, (in a whispered Shyamalan tone of voice) "I dream dead people."

Forum List

Back