How the election results affect the war on terror

Kentucky

Nov 1, 2004
Bush is now released from most political constraints and the American people have shown that they're in it for the long haul. Bush has shown that he thinks and acts in large, history-shaping terms. As this sinks in around the world, I believe it will affect war strategy.

As I have written in other posts, this completely changes the political calculus in many capitals. Our allies are bucked up by this but, more importantly, our adversaries must now re-think their positions.

If you are Iran or Syria, last week it paid to support insurgency in Iraq because it was a cheap way to encourage the US to elect Kerry & leave the area. Now, that approach can lead to your overthrow (via covert actions), you can get bombed, or you can get invaded. America under Bush is capable of doing all of these. Conseqeuntly, I look for Iran, Syria, et al. to stop their support of the Iraq insurgency. I expect Syria to roll over like Libya did and I expect Iran to suddenly be willing to cooperate with the UN (for about 4 years).

I also expect better success in the more shadowy aspects of this war. For example, South American countries, not wanting to be out of favor with Washington for 4 years, will be more willing to collaborate on disrupting developing Arab operations within their own borders.

What do you guys think? Will Bush's re-election significantly alter the strategy of all sides here?

Kentucky said:
Bush is now released from most political constraints and the American people have shown that they're in it for the long haul. Bush has shown that he thinks and acts in large, history-shaping terms. As this sinks in around the world, I believe it will affect war strategy.

As I have written in other posts, this completely changes the political calculus in many capitals. Our allies are bucked up by this but, more importantly, our adversaries must now re-think their positions.

If you are Iran or Syria, last week it paid to support insurgency in Iraq because it was a cheap way to encourage the US to elect Kerry & leave the area. Now, that approach can lead to your overthrow (via covert actions), you can get bombed, or you can get invaded. America under Bush is capable of doing all of these. Consequently, I look for Iran, Syria, et al. to stop their support of the Iraq insurgency. I expect Syria to roll over like Libya did and I expect Iran to suddenly be willing to cooperate with the UN (for about 4 years).

I also expect better success in the more shadowy aspects of this war. For example, South American countries, not wanting to be out of favor with Washington for 4 years, will be more willing to collaborate on disrupting developing Arab operations within their own borders.

What do you guys think? Will Bush's re-election significantly alter the strategy of all sides here?

I think that it could. I also think that Bush's re-election could embolden Israel to take an even more pro-active stance, if necessary. A lot is going to depend on what happens when it is finally confirmed that Arafuck is dead!

Yea North Korea is a whole nother topic, it doesn't want it's citizens to understand freedom. KIM Chong-il would lose his power and they would up-rise against him.

Forum List

Back