How the Christian Right's Homophobia Scares Away Religious Young People

nitroz

INDEPENDENTly ruthless
May 18, 2011
Merritt Island, FL
How the Christian Right's Homophobia Scares Away Religious Young People | Belief | AlterNet

May 16, 2012 |

Christian Right activists who give money, pressure politicians and organize against gay rights may think they’re accomplishing a couple of goals, like rolling back gay rights and asserting their religion’s primacy in American culture. Unfortunately for them (but fortunately for the rest of us), one of the things they're doing in the long run is alienating their young people -- not a good long-term strategy. Short-term victories like passing more bans on gay marriage, sometimes repeatedly in single states, might feel good for homophobic Christians, but in the long run, it’s their religion that will pay the ultimate price; available evidence shows that anti-gay activism is souring young people on Christianity.

In response to the latest gay-bashing vote in North Carolina, evangelical writer and speaker Rachel Held Evans wrote an impassioned plea to her fellow Christians to just cut it out. She points to statistics showing how much damage the church has sustained because of its anti-gay crusade. Research conducted by the pro-Christian Barna Group in 2007 on Americans age 16-29 found that “anti-homosexual” was the dominant perception of modern Christians. Ninety-one percent of non-Christians and 80 percent of Christians in this group used this word to describe Christians.

Read more at the link provided. It is a copyright violation to cut and paste an entire article. Newby

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would "religious young people" be scared away by anything about homosexuality. If they are religious then they would know that homosexuality is a sin, and should be discouraged and not condoned.

If there is any "hate" on display, its by anti-Christian and anti-religous folks like yourself who attack people for their religious beliefs that have been in place for thousands of years.

Why would "religious young people" be scared away by anything about homosexuality. If they are religious then they would know that homosexuality is a sin, and should be discouraged and not condoned.

If there is any "hate" on display, its by anti-Christian and anti-religous folks like yourself who attack people for their religious beliefs that have been in place for thousands of years.

Well, more are close with gay friends/relatives and possibly themselves. Imagine that you are best friends with one and he came out to his parents, just to end up calling CPS on them. You wouldn't want to become religious with those retards. :cuckoo:

Being gay is generally accepted by our younger generation, despite religion because they are human beings, too.

And lol@ attacking religion. Don't give others a reason to attack your hate.
Where I live, people don't care about who believes in what. But when you impose religion, expect alot of people up in arms.

Pro Gay people should just start their own church and see how many people show up.

It's something called the Constitution and the United States of America.
If the government offers benefits for marriage and other stuff, it's a legal given for gay marriage to happen. For example: prop 8 ruled unconstitutional in Cali.

I think it's far more likely ignorance that takes people away from religion.

People are ignorant of the scriptures and due to ignorance failing to live them. You dont want to live a religious life if you dont know why you are doing what you are doing.

If they are homos then they have already rejected God.

I doubt they would be going to church any way.

Plus, the pews where the people sit are generally wood boards and unpadded.

So I it would be very difficult for gays to sit and listen to a long sermon with their inflamed hemroids. :cool:

Last edited:
Two quick quotes. Then make up your own mind because the problem is not with me.

2 Titus 4:3 -- For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Leviticus 18:22 -- Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

If the media blog "alter-net" was honest and really wanted to make a difference in the world for homosexuals it would concentrate on Sharia law which is spreading throughout the world and authorizes the murder of homosexuals. The truth is that Christian religions embrace everyone no matter what their sexual orientation is and the left wing uses homosexuals as a political tool. If the radical left was fully in power you can guarantee that homosexuals would be the targets for extermination right after Christians and Jews. There is a lot of hatred on the left and it is mostly directed at their own country.

You can bet your ass-ets that the brave new world of lock-step liberalism would kill off homosexuals right after Christians and Jews.

So I guess there is no Christian Left who is homophobic..is that what they are trying to sell?

of course it came from, alterworld

Homosexuality has existed far longer than any religion known to man.

Regardless, it's a never-ending face-palm for me to continuously read Christians trying to explain that everyone should adhere to their beliefs for whatever multitude of illegitimate(to me) reasons, and we're the bigots for not being more accepting of it.

:rofl:

Last edited:
Two quick quotes. Then make up your own mind because the problem is not with me.

2 Titus 4:3 -- For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Leviticus 18:22 -- Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.

Proverbs 16:8
Better is a little with righteousness than great income with injustice.

Missed a few.

Homosexuality has existed far longer than any religion known to man.
So has rape, pedophilia, and murder.

What does that prove? :doubt:

It proves nothing, but it looks better when you include the comment mine was replying to.

I'm sure everything in context would be harder to argue, too bad you didn't care to comment on the rest. :thup:

Last edited:

2 Titus? You Mean 2 Timothy?

I recognize the quote. They are good quotes.

People are more concerned with making the world conform to their views than conforming themselves with God's views.

Well, more are close with gay friends/relatives and possibly themselves. Imagine that you are best friends with one and he came out to his parents, just to end up calling CPS on them. You wouldn't want to become religious with those retards. :cuckoo:

Being gay is generally accepted by our younger generation, despite religion because they are human beings, too.

And lol@ attacking religion. Don't give others a reason to attack your hate.
Where I live, people don't care about who believes in what. But when you impose religion, expect alot of people up in arms.

Real Christians knows which has more value...HIM or the world.

NIV translation?

I prefer "it is an abomination"

:cool:

Forum List

Back