How some states are using progressive ideas to address economic woes

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Bfgrn, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Bfgrn

Bfgrn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,060
    RGGI Cap-And-Trade Boosted State Economies: Report

[​IMG]

Reports show that between 2008 and 2009, these CT programs produced $3 to $4 for every $1 invested. Nearly 2,700 jobs are directly attributed to energy efficiency, with an average employment income of $50,000 per year. ECMB's energy efficient programs also reportedly benefit low-income consumers -- through auditing, weatherization, and retrofitting programs, consumers saw an estimated $6 million dollars in annual energy savings.

If cap-and-trade is truly dead, the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI) is desperately fighting to resuscitate it.

RGGI was formed by ten states in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, focused on reducing CO2 emissions through cap-and-trade programs. RGGI reported this week that state programs have already seen many economic and environmental benefits.

States are expected to sell emission allowances through auctions, and invest their proceeds in consumer benefits. Participating states are reportedly investing, on average, 80 percent of their CO2 allowance proceeds to consumer benefit and energy programs. The report's findings are based on a two-year analysis of program investments, specifically focused on energy efficiency, renewable energy, bill payment assistance, and additional programs.

Overall the report finds that state investments have created jobs, reduced energy costs, and generated high economic returns.

More

2. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I find it amazing that you can take a totally stacked story like this at face value, and then selectively quote it to make it seem that cap and trade is a great idea. Funny thing is the part you quoted is not talking about cap and trade itself, but about the supposed benefits of using government money to subsidize selected technologies and favored companies.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,684
    When one reads further it is also revealed that the vast majority of new jobs created are government oversight jobs. Auditors, paperwork shufflers etc. No metrics are released in any of the sub reports. All they are doing is talking to the various directors and getting their "rah rah" speeches.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,781
    RGGI has been a scam on the state level in New Hampshire.

5. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    WOW, what a PROGRESSIVE IDEA.

A tax that will be passed down to the TAXPAYERS.

How friggen PROGRESSIVE.

And what a DAMN SCAM.

6. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    The only progressive idea is raise taxes and color it in a fashion to make it look like fucking over the middle class is a good idea.

Progs are the most vile people on the planet, and they want America destroyed.

Cloward-Piven strategy at it's finest.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,013
    I live in CT and we have some of the highest electric rates in the country second only to Hawaii. When I moved here we were fourth or fifth highest.

Is the increase related to cap and trade? I'll give odds that it is.

8. ba1614

ba1614 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +876
    I can see that idiot almost crying while writing that garbage and coming to the conclusion that they just got c&t shoved up their ass.

9. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    I didn't want to give HuffyPuffy the hit or expose my intelligence to their insult.

Thanks for taking one for the team. :thup:

10. kiwiman127

kiwiman127 Comfortably Moderate Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    4th Cleanest City in the World-Minneapolis
    Ratings:
    +3,838
    Or states could be like Minnesota.

Study shows who bears Minnesota's biggest tax burden

Study: Middle-, lower-income Minnesotans pay 12.3 percent in taxes. Wealthiest pay 10.3 percent.The high-octane political fight over taxes at the Capitol got a new source of fuel Wednesday: a statewide study that finds lower- and middle-income households are hit hardest by Minnesota's tax system.

"Minnesota's tax system is more regressive than it was a decade ago," acting Revenue Commissioner Dan Salomone said Wednesday. "Despite a slight improvement over the last study, the system remains notably more regressive than the historical average since 1991."

The study found that 90 percent of the state's earners paid an average of 12.3 percent of their income in state and local taxes in 2008. The wealthiest 10 percent of households earning more than $130,000 paid an average of 10.3 percent

Study shows who bears Minnesota's biggest tax burden | StarTribune.com

Opps, the growing tax burden to the Middle Class didn't work as Minnesota's deficit is over 6 billion. Thanks, Tim Pawlenty.