How social security system really works

timslash

Dec 4, 2014
Buffalo. NY
In transition to independent living the dignity of risk for the mentally ill - The Washington Post

CONCORD, N.C. — On his 26th morning of independence, Kelvin Cook made a huge pot of coffee and ate oatmeal off a plate. His Social Security check had not arrived and he was down to $5. He had a cellphone plugged into a wall, but it was out of minutes. Rent was overdue. He was out of his five prescriptions, including the anti-psychotic that had suppressed the symptoms of his schizophrenia for the past year, and now he felt sluggish.

Look at this guy, then, remember promises which mr President gave to all of us. Social Security system should make our life better, but in fact... People with serious mental illness can't get their meds. Good job.

During the course of the article, he drank two cups of coffee. Maybe he should use that money for meds instead. He is in his early 30's, so he has not contributed much to SS for what he will drain off it. Sucks for him, but at the same time, I think people should stop dumping their relatives onto someone else to pay for. Seniors who have a lifetime of contributions are struggling to pay for their medicine too. I think the seniors should get top priority

During the course of the article, he drank two cups of coffee. Maybe he should use that money for meds instead. He is in his early 30's, so he has not contributed much to SS for what he will drain off it. Sucks for him, but at the same time, I think people should stop dumping their relatives onto someone else to pay for. Seniors who have a lifetime of contributions are struggling to pay for their medicine too. I think the seniors should get top priority
With todays situation with healthcare system, i don't think that meds(for schizophrenics)costs as coffee. Or he should buy meds and then die without food?

With todays situation with healthcare system, i don't think that meds(for schizophrenics)costs as coffee. Or he should buy meds and then die without food?

Unfortunately, for every sad story there's one of some undeserving slug just milking the system. On the flip side SS clearly serves millions of Americans as proscribed.

In transition to independent living the dignity of risk for the mentally ill - The Washington Post

CONCORD, N.C. — On his 26th morning of independence, Kelvin Cook made a huge pot of coffee and ate oatmeal off a plate. His Social Security check had not arrived and he was down to $5. He had a cellphone plugged into a wall, but it was out of minutes. Rent was overdue. He was out of his five prescriptions, including the anti-psychotic that had suppressed the symptoms of his schizophrenia for the past year, and now he felt sluggish.

Look at this guy, then, remember promises which mr President gave to all of us. Social Security system should make our life better, but in fact... People with serious mental illness can't get their meds. Good job.

Social security? Oh that thing Dems/Liberals gave US the conservatives/GOP fought. It keeps half of seniors out of poverty. Better NOT to have it right? We know history BEFORE the social safety nets LIBERALS gave US right?

Or his relatives can help him out. There are programs that help people get meds for next to nothing. If you see their staff, our mental health clinic gets people their meds for a couple bucks a month and some people still refuse to get them, preferring cigarettes instead.

Social security? Oh that thing Dems/Liberals gave US the conservatives/GOP fought. It keeps half of seniors out of poverty. Better NOT to have it right? We know history BEFORE the social safety nets LIBERALS gave US right?

Say, What?

Was Social Security ever meant to be the golden parachute come retirement?
To be able to retire and have the means to buy a small island in the South Pacific.
And at some point there will be more people withdrawing from SS then are paying in....

Are we ever going to deal with that.

He's in his 30s. He's not getting social security retirement. He's getting SSI. He's disabled. He should also be on medicare and whatever the state provides. Between the two programs his meds cost him nothing. Medicare pays and the state picks up the co-pay. If he's out of meds its because he sold them on the street. Or some addict friend stole them.

The rent is overdue? How did that happen? Was his check late? Did he not pay his rent when he got his check?

Kelvin Cook is on his 26th day of independence. He is obviously incapable of being independent. It's less than 30 days and the rent is overdue and he's out of meds.

To be able to retire and have the means to buy a small island in the South Pacific.
And at some point there will be more people withdrawing from SS then are paying in....

'deal with it'? Oh you mean privatize it? lol

SS has worked for 130+ years in Germany, get rid of conservatives, and lets get to fixing Gov't again!!!

For example, I'm black uneducated 36 years woman. I have 3 children from 3 men and I'm lazy enough to not to work. I'm on welfare and I get food stamps. The government cares of me. Oh, sure, I have a lot of free time and enough money because my 17 yo son has begun sell drugs in the streets.I'm OK.

For example, I'm black uneducated 36 years woman. I have 3 children from 3 men and I'm lazy enough to not to work. I'm on welfare and I get food stamps. The government cares of me. Oh, sure, I have a lot of free time and enough money because my 17 yo son has begun sell drugs in the streets.I'm OK.

What do you do after the 5 year lifetime cap on welfare hits? OOPS

BTW, More whites get Gov't Aid... Nice stereotyping though. Ronnie Reagan is that you?

Unfortunately, for every sad story there's one of some undeserving slug just milking the system. On the flip side SS clearly serves millions of Americans as proscribed.

SAYIT

for every sad story there's one of some undeserving slug just milking the system.

Nope. Not even close.

Or were you going to post a link?

Last edited:

'deal with it'? Oh you mean privatize it? lol

SS has worked for 130+ years in Germany, get rid of conservatives, and lets get to fixing Gov't again!!!

Ask the RWs where they'd be today if it had been privatized when the Bush recession hit?

Last edited:

SAYIT

for every sad story there's one of some undeserving slug just milking the system.

Nope. Not even close.

I've seen no link establishing the number of sad stories but I could cherry-pick the occasional fraud story just as the OP has done with his sad story. Here's a few from the Office of the Inspector General website:

Washington Woman Charged with Wire Fraud and Social Security Disability Fraud Office of the Inspector General SSA

West Virginia Woman Faces Multiple Fraud Charges Including Social Security Fraud and Aggravated Identity Theft Office of the Inspector General SSA

Nevada Man Pleads Guilty to Social Security Disability Fraud Sentenced to 37 Months for Mortgage Fraud Office of the Inspector General SSA

Minnesota Couple Pleads Guilty to Providing False Information to Receive Social Security Benefits Mail Fraud and Passport Fraud Office of the Inspector General SSA

Employee Fraud Former SSA Employee Convicted of Identity Theft and Tax Fraud Office of the Inspector General SSA

Federal Jury Finds Kentucky Woman Guilty of Committing Social Security Fraud and Bankruptcy Fraud Office of the Inspector General SSA

New Jersey Man Sentenced to Prison for Bankruptcy Fraud and Social Security Fraud Office of the Inspector General SSA

SAYIT

Nope. Not even close.

I've seen no link establishing the number of sad stories but I could cherry-pick the occasional fraud story just as the OP has done with his sad story. Here's a few from the Office of the Inspector General website:

Washington Woman Charged with Wire Fraud and Social Security Disability Fraud Office of the Inspector General SSA

West Virginia Woman Faces Multiple Fraud Charges Including Social Security Fraud and Aggravated Identity Theft Office of the Inspector General SSA

Nevada Man Pleads Guilty to Social Security Disability Fraud Sentenced to 37 Months for Mortgage Fraud Office of the Inspector General SSA

Minnesota Couple Pleads Guilty to Providing False Information to Receive Social Security Benefits Mail Fraud and Passport Fraud Office of the Inspector General SSA

Employee Fraud Former SSA Employee Convicted of Identity Theft and Tax Fraud Office of the Inspector General SSA

Federal Jury Finds Kentucky Woman Guilty of Committing Social Security Fraud and Bankruptcy Fraud Office of the Inspector General SSA

New Jersey Man Sentenced to Prison for Bankruptcy Fraud and Social Security Fraud Office of the Inspector General SSA

I could cherry-pick the occasional fraud story

Yeah. You do that.

Then add them all up and compare it to corporate fraud.

:rolleyes-41:

SAYIT

Nope. Not even close.

Yeah. You do that.

Figures. You got whupped so you attempt to change the subject. Try to focus, Loony. For every sad story there's an undeserving slug who is milking the SSA system.

SAYIT

Nope. Not even close.

Yeah. You do that.

Figures. You got whupped so you attempt to change the subject. Try to focus, Loony. For every sad story there's an undeserving slug who is milking the SSA system.

Nope.

You said "... for every sad story there's one of some undeserving slug just milking the system."

That isn't true and I called you on it.

Cherry pick all you want but its true that all the individual fraud added together doesn't even begin to compare to corporate fraud.

SAYIT

Nope. Not even close.

TENS OF MILLIONS ON SS. How many stories diod you link? lol

SAYIT

Nope. Not even close.

Yeah. You do that.

Nope.

You said "... for every sad story there's one of some undeserving slug just milking the system."

That isn't true and I called you on it.

Cherry pick all you want but its true that all the individual fraud added together doesn't even begin to compare to corporate fraud.

Try to focus, Loony. The subject matter is the sad story of an SSA recipient who must choose between drugs and cigarettes. That's one sad story. I proposed there are just as many frauds milking the SSA system and, at your request, provided a few cases from the Inspector General. You had no intelligent response so you fell back on your socialist training manual which must have instructed you "when in doubt, fake it."

Forum List

Back