How School Makes Kids Dumb ( Or why school really doesn't make us any smarter)

Discussion in 'Education' started by jasonlee3071, Dec 9, 2019.

1. jasonlee3071

jasonlee3071 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Really? How is it that much different today than 40 years ago? Students still have to sit in class, listen to teacher, take notes, study and then take exam.
    Which is the main gist of it.

2. jasonlee3071

jasonlee3071 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Great if the average student goes further than that as opposed to learning something just to pass an exam, then forget most of it within a few days.

3. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,133
    The sensationalist media recently made a big stink about a report that supposedly shows Chinese students as the top in the world. Leaving aside the misleading nature of such comparisons, the fact is that many thousands of Chinese families with the means to do so go to great lengths to send their sons and daughters to study in the US precisely because our educational system is perceived as fostering individuality and creativity. The Chinese educational system that is supposedly so much better than ours relies more heavily on rote learning and very few high-stakes tests than whiners about American education could even imagine.

4. Admiral Rockwell Tory

Admiral Rockwell Tory Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,988
    I was a teacher for 21 years. The only thing constant about education was change. If you think that is all that kids in schools do today, I suggest you get in a school and find out what really happens in and out of the classroom.

5. luchitociencia

luchitociencia Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    My best teacher of mathematics was a professor whom since first day of class told us continually the same phrase: "You don't study mathematics, you practice it". (Parasí Benitez, Mathematics school teacher)

When he called one of us to have a test at the blackboard, he gave us as a gift a theoretical question:

-What a equation is?
    - A equation is an equality with two term...
    -Enough! now, write the following equation...

He is the one who opened my eyes with mathematics. The classrooms under his teaching were the best in mathematics in the area.

And the teacher of Philosophy with the one teaching History were the ones who taught us to think. We never learned what was the philosophical tendency of Nietzsche, but we were the philosophers. We made the debates.

In our last debate to obtain the grade, ones arguing the roaches can think, the other group saying the contrary. At the end of the school year, he looked at us and said: "you were the roaches and you definitively can think".

The history teacher, he never ask us who was this heroe or general or whatever, his questions were, "what was the idiosyncrasy of the aborigines when the conquerors arrived in such and such year?"

Out of the book questions. For these teachers the books were to be read and be used as references only, not for being memorized.

Unfortunately from the 20 plus teachers we had in the school years, only those three were masters in education.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019