How School Makes Kids Dumb ( Or why school really doesn't make us any smarter)

Discussion in 'Education' started by jasonlee3071, Dec 9, 2019.

1. jasonlee3071

jasonlee3071 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Here is an interesting video I saw on youtube.
    While some of you watching may or may not agree completely with this video it does make some very good points.
    One is that our system of education in public schools is a relic of the industrial age, when it was designed simply to produce a mass of obedient conforming factory workers.
    Therefore it doesn't encourage individuality, thinking outside the box or even questioning authority.
    Rather you learn instead by rote, that is by remembering a bunch of data or facts then simply write them down a test paper (with scantron tests you don't even have to write them out).
    As this video points out most students will forget up to 95 % of what they studied within just a few days of taking the exam.
    Obviously if they forget that much then it can only show how irrelevant such information was to them personally.

Also the public schools especially today don't even do a good job of teaching you the very basics of English, Math or science.
    Which of course is the reason why everyone has a low opinion of the public school system in regard to quality.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. Politicallyinsane

Politicallyinsane Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Seeing how the right no longer gives two craps about the rule of law anymore. That includes you on the right. It is really sad.

3. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,003
    When I was teaching Language, I would throw in "logic". It started out very easy: "There is a red house and a green house. I don't live in the green house. What house do I live in?" (First grade) Is would slowly get more advanced and require thinking "outside the box", instead of memorizing or parroting.

4. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,750

Ignorant nonsense.

5. Jackson

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,003
    You know, one has to learn by mimicking or be rote, once you have your foundation, use it in different ways. Just as math...learn you number and solve equations or look at a situation and create your own equation to solve a dilemma you have. It's just teaching and someone showing you how to use that info to open more doors.

6. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,750

And of course they would need to have some idea of what "house," "green," "red," "I," "live," and "to be" in both the affirmative and negative in the simple present tense meant.

Not as simple as it seems, and requiring a significant degree of memory and review.

7. Jackson

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,003
    No, they don't even need to know the actual colors. Significant degree of memory? If they are learning to read, they are using the correct "degree" of memory already. It's as easy as, "I am thinking if an elephant or a dog. I am not thinking of an elephant. What am I thinking of?"

8. Admiral Rockwell Tory

Admiral Rockwell Tory Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,618
    Your post describes education about 40 years ago, not today.

9. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,750

You’re glossing over all the complex cognitive processes of neurolinguistics in order to speak in simplistic generalities.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,750
    All this “doesn’t encourage individuality or thinking outside the box” nonsense is ignorant on several levels.