How people treat animals is telling in how they treat other people.

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
I wanted to start a very non-partisan thread about a topic I'm strongly passionate about, animals. As a right-winger, some may think I'm soft on animal rights, but actually, I'm nearly in-line with PETA. I'm a huge animal lover and I truly believe this is relevant to politics because how a person or nation treats animals says alot about how they view life and compassion in general.

What sparked this thread? MSNBC showing the video of the birds in the oil. I agree with MSNBC about 0.005% of the time. But they were right for showing those animals. Although I believe global warming is a hoax, I also believe in environmental laws to protect animals, as they are quite defensless against us.

Do I eat meat? Yes. I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I eat mostly eggs and fish, but an occassional steak. I find Michael Vick to be the scum of the Earth, and anyone who is outright cruel to an animal to be right there with him.

I saw a video of a bullfighter in Mexico or Spain, not sure, but they stick the animal with small spears, and gradually move to larger ones until a final death blow is thrown into the animals spine. The video showed the scared, desperate bull lying wounded on the ground and the "brave" bullfighter come up and execute it. For sport. Sickening. Stephen Colbert's show showed another bull gouge a bullfighter so badly that the horn stuck out his mouth from the throat wound. I loved it. There is no need for that sport.

Deer hunting? I don't hunt personally, because I don't want to kill the animal. But, I do see the need for it to control populations and prevent starvation of the deer as a result. The meat is almost always used as food, and many families in the South eat deer meat as a large % of their food supply. Thats why I do not hunt, but am pro-hunting. Humanely though.

It's a fine line between being a right winger and an animal rights advocate. Very fine line of hypocrisy there. But I try to walk it. One reason is my dogs. No matter what they've done, or I've done, or how bad the weather is, or their food is, they are always happy to see me. What people can you say that about?

This November, while it may be a minor issue, don't forget the animals in our nation that politicians will also have influence over.

Why do you think it's a fine line between being right-wing and an animal rights advocate? I don't see anything in one that precludes the other.

Well if you really love animals then don't be in line with PETA.

PETA Kills Animals | PetaKillsAnimals.com

Haha, it was an analogy, but I do think PETA does SOME good work, but a lot of bad also.

This does not relate to PETA or the link..............but sadly, I do acknowledge it is necessary for man to humanely kill some animals. If only to end their suffering. To me, one of the most tragic episodes in American society are dog shelters where otherwise good dogs must be euthanized due to lack of food, space, etc. Just heartbreaking. Personally, I've had about 15 dogs in the last 15-20 years of my life. All but 1 was adopted. I actually volunteer at the local shelter 1-2 days a week for a few hours to take the dogs out to play and exercise, and I try, when possible, to donate $50 or $100 worth of dog food to help them.

That truly is one of the most passionate causes I live by.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
How people treat animals is telling in how they treat other people.

Fellow animal lover here. ;)

adorable,bear,cute,precious,rat,small-5030ebf55638c2d83365c7fa37a4c101_h.jpg

I wanted to start a very non-partisan thread about a topic I'm strongly passionate about, animals. As a right-winger, some may think I'm soft on animal rights, but actually, I'm nearly in-line with PETA. I'm a huge animal lover and I truly believe this is relevant to politics because how a person or nation treats animals says alot about how they view life and compassion in general.

What sparked this thread? MSNBC showing the video of the birds in the oil. I agree with MSNBC about 0.005% of the time. But they were right for showing those animals. Although I believe global warming is a hoax, I also believe in environmental laws to protect animals, as they are quite defensless against us.

Do I eat meat? Yes. I'm a bit of a hypocrite. I eat mostly eggs and fish, but an occassional steak. I find Michael Vick to be the scum of the Earth, and anyone who is outright cruel to an animal to be right there with him.

I saw a video of a bullfighter in Mexico or Spain, not sure, but they stick the animal with small spears, and gradually move to larger ones until a final death blow is thrown into the animals spine. The video showed the scared, desperate bull lying wounded on the ground and the "brave" bullfighter come up and execute it. For sport. Sickening. Stephen Colbert's show showed another bull gouge a bullfighter so badly that the horn stuck out his mouth from the throat wound. I loved it. There is no need for that sport.

Deer hunting? I don't hunt personally, because I don't want to kill the animal. But, I do see the need for it to control populations and prevent starvation of the deer as a result. The meat is almost always used as food, and many families in the South eat deer meat as a large % of their food supply. Thats why I do not hunt, but am pro-hunting. Humanely though.

It's a fine line between being a right winger and an animal rights advocate. Very fine line of hypocrisy there. But I try to walk it. One reason is my dogs. No matter what they've done, or I've done, or how bad the weather is, or their food is, they are always happy to see me. What people can you say that about?

This November, while it may be a minor issue, don't forget the animals in our nation that politicians will also have influence over.

This goes beyond the beautiful birds covered in oil. It affects the entire ecosystem of the area. Estuaries, breeding areas, nesting sites. It also decimates the food chain. The tiniest shrimp or algea are essential to feeding all the aquatic wildlife in the area. Its destruction will be felt for years

Why do you think it's a fine line between being right-wing and an animal rights advocate? I don't see anything in one that precludes the other.

Well, because we make fun of the "tree huggers" and people trying to save the whales, dolphins, etc. Those people are usually the same libs that believe in global warming, massive welfare, etc, and sometimes making fun of them while being sympathetic to one of their causes is tough.

Second, the right wing is the home of the NRA. And of course, hunting, fishing, etc.

You are right, neither precludes the other, it's just the perception. For example, I don't like that Sarah Palin hunted wolves from a helicopter. Just an opinion of mine. Or that some guys go on safari hunts to kill big game. I support hunting for population control if that keeps a healthy herd, and for food (fishing) to an extent. I'm not much of a sport-hunting supporter, however. Killing an animal for game, in my opinion, is immoral.

Also, being the right wing also is percieved pro-business, which I am. And business is also the place we see the slaughter farms and inhumane caring of animals being held for food. I try to give free advertising to my favorite private business, Whole Foods. A bit liberal, but that place is very pro-animal, very healthy to eat, and the CEO is true to his beliefs, not to a party. Fantastic private business. All organic stuff, and all the meats and fish are free range stuff, not farmed.

This goes beyond the beautiful birds covered in oil. It affects the entire ecosystem of the area. Estuaries, breeding areas, nesting sites. It also decimates the food chain. The tiniest shrimp or algea are essential to feeding all the aquatic wildlife in the area. Its destruction will be felt for years

Yep. It certainly does. I think it is a rare chance for all people to come together, non-partisan, for a bit of reality.

- We aren't gonna kick the oil thing anytime soon. Not for decades. So, we must get comfortable with that.
- Drilling far offshore is dangerous if there is an accident, obviously. So, shallow water and on-shore drilling is probably necessary.
- That said, we should also explore other energy. Wind, solar, and nuclear. The "do it all" strategy we heard some politicians preaching about in 08, but seriously mean it. Green energy is fine, as long as we accept the reality that we aren't replacing oil anytime for at least 30-50 years. It's too important and we use it for so much.

- Finally, the terror threat. We'd be foolish not to think Al Qaida and other rogue nations arent watching this and then see these rigs as potential terror targets. They are after all unarmed.

But, back to the animal issue, it's the one thing that gets me about this spill. Tourism and fishermen, yeah, that sucks. But, humans are capable animals. Those folks can find other work for while (for the most part) and find a way to get by if need be for a little while. We help each other. Those birds? They're screwed. No food supply. No home. I'm sounding a bit hippyish here, but whatever, I feel more sorrow for the animals than the people.

It's ok to be a tree hugger and believe that global warming is a farce, that welfare creates more harm than it cures, and that food animals should live well and die humanely. I tell people often that while I think global warming is a total scam, that I believe we have an obligation to protect our planet. We should certainly be capable of finding good balance between the needs of humans and the needs of the planet.

It's ok to be a tree hugger and believe that global warming is a farce, that welfare creates more harm than it cures, and that food animals should live well and die humanely. I tell people often that while I think global warming is a total scam, that I believe we have an obligation to protect our planet. We should certainly be capable of finding good balance between the needs of humans and the needs of the planet.

Well said.

I often find difficulty in being extremely pro-gun, pro-animal, pro-gay right, anti-open borders, pro-preemptive strike, anti-welfare, pro-charity :eusa_eh:

I think one of the first things we can do regarding our companion animals begins with educating animal owners. You can't fix the problem until you understand the problem. many people operate under the assumption that we should treat our animals like our children. That would work well if animals WERE children, but they're not. Many of the dogs dumped in shelters would never be there if their owners had taken a little time to realize that dogs don't understand human discipline. They understand dog discipline. I've never seen a dog to stupid to housebreak, but I've met a lot of people to stupid to housebreak a dog.

I do indeed love animals. I was very heart broken when I had to put Fred to sleep who is in the Avatar.

That said I want animals experimented on before people are experimented on.

Because of Loretta Swit, I have always refused to eat veal, or as she calls it, baby cows.:(

I wanted to start a very non-partisan thread about a topic I'm strongly passionate about, animals. As a right-winger, some may think I'm soft on animal rights, but actually, I'm nearly in-line with PETA. I'm a huge animal lover...

It is said Adolf Hitler loved his dogs and had a vegetarian type diet. Drawing on your correlations leads to silliness. I suggest we judge people on how they treat Jews and Gypsies.

I also love animals and I eat meat. While there are many animal organizations who work to prevent cruelity to animals, there are few who try and prevent cruelity to farm animals. We should be treating every animal humanely, even if they are raised for food.

Here's a great organization who works to prevent cruelity to farm animals: Charity Navigator Rating - Humane Farming Association

Help them out by making a contribution today.

I like animals more than people, generally speaking. I never trust anyone who doesn't like animals. It is a good measure of the character of a person.

Forum List

Back