How Netflix Selects Material

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Netflix uses an automated process in determining what type of movies or series their audience like. They collect data on the type of platform used to watch Netflix, a user's watch history, search queries, and time spent watching a show. Over the years they have developed an algorithm that uses these data elements and other data they collect to determine what users like. Netflix spends a lot of money gathering information about their user preferences and even more money analyzing them.

Netflix does not buy productions for political reason. They buy them for financial reasons.

Netflix does not use the data from the Like and dislike button for selecting material but rather suggesting material you might like by presenting rows and sorting content in the rows so you see the kind of stuff you like first.

Netflix uses an automated process in determining what type of movies or series their audience like. They collect data on the type of platform used to watch Netflix, a user's watch history, search queries, and time spent watching a show. Over the years they have developed an algorithm that uses these data elements and other data they collect to determine what users like. Netflix spends a lot of money gathering information about their user preferences and even more money analyzing them.

Netflix does not buy productions for political reason. They buy them for financial reasons.

Netflix does not use the data from the Like and dislike button for selecting material but rather suggesting material you might like by presenting rows and sorting content in the rows so you see the kind of stuff you like first.

Cuties says that's incorrect. Among other woke crap.

Of course not.

It would be dishonest idiocy to suggest otherwise.

You think there is really a market for woke shit like this?

1664938812788.png

I strongly disagree.

Don't think so.
I recently cancelled NF, but I had it for 10 years, and for those 10 years I kept suggesting the SAME types of materials. The stuff they USED to have but stopped carrying. And they have yet to bring any of it back or start doing what I've been asking for, for 10 years. It just became a waste of money, as they rarely had anything to watch. And the rare things they did have I liked, they fucked over and just DRAAAAAGED out the story lines into 3-5 seasons, instead of just doing ONE GOOD season and leaving it at that. I got bored halfway through and just stopped watching.

And the fuktarded thing is, they STILL segregate DVD's and streaming! WHY??? If you have it on DVD, WHY isn't it also for streaming?????
MORONIC!

They don't care what customers think, thats whey they got rid of the comment sections on the movies and shows. They were going to get rid of the "like" and "dislike" buttons, but people threw a fit, because they want something to rate the movies and shows with. So the left them.

Not 100% true.
Yes, it is very obvious they use algorithms to display what you see on your screen.
However - they still display new items that are just what they want people to know about. And why wouldn't they?
But, there is no doubt - none - that Netflix is a part of the same problems in Hollywood in general. Politics is in everything now. Perhaps it always was. And there is certainly an underlying theme in what they push out.
Cuties, as someone else here pointed out, is a shining example of that. You had to seriously wonder what group of people thought this was a good idea to promote??

Is this surprising to anyone? All these companies ransack your internet data and algorithms to bring you content and sell you shit.

Last edited:
Don't think so.
I recently cancelled NF, but I had it for 10 years, and for those 10 years I kept suggesting the SAME types of materials. The stuff they USED to have but stopped carrying. And they have yet to bring any of it back or start doing what I've been asking for, for 10 years. It just became a waste of money, as they rarely had anything to watch. And the rare things they did have I liked, they fucked over and just DRAAAAAGED out the story lines into 3-5 seasons, instead of just doing ONE GOOD season and leaving it at that. I got bored halfway through and just stopped watching.

And the fuktarded thing is, they STILL segregate DVD's and streaming! WHY??? If you have it on DVD, WHY isn't it also for streaming?????
MORONIC!

They don't care what customers think, thats whey they got rid of the comment sections on the movies and shows. They were going to get rid of the "like" and "dislike" buttons, but people threw a fit, because they want something to rate the movies and shows with. So the left them.
As I said in my post above, Netflix choses content based on what their audience actual watches, the number of minutes they watch, and their searches. So if you find, most of Netflix's offering not to your liking, you are probably not in their targeted audience.

DVD is separated from streaming because distribution contracts are usually based on the type of media being distributed and how it is distributed. So there will be different contracts with different terms for distributing a movie to theaters, to users on dvds, and streaming on the Internet.

My Netflix Right now...

Top promoted item - Mr. Harrigan's Phone
Promoted as a "coming if age drama" - uh... I am 57 and the wife is 58.
So CLEARLY not based on what we watch.
My recently watched list:
Seinfeld
The Sandman
Echoes - watched 5 minutes it was horrible
Meat Eater
Trailer Park Boys
Broken
Jobs
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Running with the Devil

The reason why Netflix leans to the left on there offering is because their audience is liberal to moderate. Half of their subscribers are outside the US, there are more females than males subscribers and the age group 18-34 is responsible for over half the hours spent watching Netflix.

If the content on Neftfix is to liberal, there are alternatives such as Disney Plus or Frndly TV, or Youtube. Hulu might also be a good choice due to their limited foreign exposure. The complete Hulu streaming service is available only in the US and Japan. 93% of usage is in the US.

My Netflix Right now...

Top promoted item - Mr. Harrigan's Phone
Promoted as a "coming if age drama" - uh... I am 57 and the wife is 58.
So CLEARLY not based on what we watch.
My recently watched list:
Seinfeld
The Sandman
Echoes - watched 5 minutes it was horrible
Meat Eater
Trailer Park Boys
Broken
Jobs
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Running with the Devil
Do get Hulu?

Netflix selects all the woke shit.

Like he said: " Tesla founder Elon Musk, tweeted yesterday that "the woke mind virus is making Netflix unwatchable."

And he is right. :thup:
The filthy Obama's are on the Board of Directors so you know programming will be screwed up.

That is why there are so many Blacks and queers on their programs. Might as well be called The Soul Train network.

Do get Hulu?
Use to till we watched most everything we wanted to see.
Mostly likely will resubscribe sooner than later.
Kinda what we do. Subscribe to a channel, watch it alot and when we run out of things that interest us - unsubscribe for 6 mos or so.
The beauty of streaming. You are not locked in and forced to pay for something you don't watch for 12 months

Not 100% true.
Yes, it is very obvious they use algorithms to display what you see on your screen.
However - they still display new items that are just what they want people to know about. And why wouldn't they?
But, there is no doubt - none - that Netflix is a part of the same problems in Hollywood in general. Politics is in everything now. Perhaps it always was. And there is certainly an underlying theme in what they push out.
Cuties, as someone else here pointed out, is a shining example of that. You had to seriously wonder what group of people thought this was a good idea to promote??
I think that problem does not lie with Netflix management but with Netflix subscribers. Netflix subscribers are mostly foreign which are more liberal than Americans when it comes to social issues. Also, Netflix subscribers are more female than male which makes them more likely to be liberal or at least moderate. Also the age group of viewers makes them more likely to be liberal. Finally a survey done last year shows Netflix users are liberal to moderate. Top management at Netflix is going where the bucks are and that's trying to provide the content their subscribers want. It's insane to think they going sacrifice profits to promote a political agenda.

Last edited:
I think that problem does not lie with Netflix management but with Netflix subscribers. Netflix subscribers are mostly foreign which are more liberal than Americans when it comes to social issues. Also, Netflix subscribers are more female than male which makes them more likely to be liberal or at least moderate. Also the age group of viewers makes them more likely to be liberal. Finally a survey done last year shows Netflix users are liberal to moderate. Top management at Netflix is going where the bucks are and that's trying to provide the content their subscribers want. It's insane to think they going sacrifice profits to promote a political agenda.
This is 2022.
Obviously what Europeans see on their Netflix promos, is not what Americans see.
When Netflix made the catastrophic decision to promote Cuties in America - again - what kind of band of idiots thought this would go well?
Did someone at Netflix actually think this was going to be popular??
It would require a significant suspension of reality and common sense to attempt to believe there was no political/social reason why they pushed that movie.

Forum List

Back