How much would a stamp cost if mail was completely privatized?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OneWorld, Aug 11, 2009.

1. OneWorld

OneWorld Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Let's say the industry, even before FedEX, UPS existed... was completely privatized...

How much do you think stamps would cost today?

2. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,077
    When you say "Cost" are you including how much taxpayers fund every year?

3. OneWorld

OneWorld Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ??? You do realize that the US mail service is completely self funded correct? Ok, good... continue?

4. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    There is no simple answer. A lot of factors come into play, but if completely privatized (we are heading that way) with no government mob bosses in charge of regulating it, then the competition would drop the prices a lot. Combine small delivery systems for local mail with the national corporations competing for funds, the prices will likely drop. Allow no bailouts and they will work even harder to get more customers. With the use of email still rising they wouldn't be able to charge much. The only reason they can charge what they do now is because there are not enough choices. ;)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. OneWorld

OneWorld Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    So despite evidence from the entire world, than when these kinds of industries are privatized that prices sky rocket, you hold that the prices are going to get cheaper??

44 cents to mail something anywhere in the N.America is somehow expensive? There's not enough competition?

I have to ask what you are on?

6. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Russia was a good example? Wow ... Bizzaro world.

44 cents is the cost of the stamps, not the actual cost since they are now receiving a lot of tax dollars to remain open. There is not enough competition, three major companies, one government controlled and funded, the other two focus mostly on packages not mail. You need to look at how businesses in the US operate more, and not just theory but what they actually pay for and how they are allowed to remain. In my area I have seen four locally owned businesses denied licenses, after paying huge fees, simply because the government wanted to use their locations for something else ... they were replaced with higher end competitors. Business and postal service are controlled by the mob bosses we call government agencies. You are starting to sound like Chris, who we all know has no interest in allowing competition.

7. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    doesnt matter...postal service is dying due to more modern methods of communications...no junk mail lists etc...face it the majority of what the postal service delivers is spam....i pay bills on line...i dont mail anything...why buy a birthday card for 5 bucks when y ou can email or text most people?

8. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    There are free flash and gif animations online that look better and can be customized to. You are right, postal mail is obsolete, other than packages and the bills I need for "official" records (I wish our local government would catch up) I just toss most of my mail.

9. OneWorld

OneWorld Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17
    What are you talking about? Talk about bizzaro world... the postal service is not receiving tax dollars to stay open. Where are you getting these lies?

No, I'm talking about when any industry becomes completely privatized.... mmm, like health care. Compare our costs, the rest of the world. Or water, which neo-cons have been privatizing in other countries throughout the world. And the list goes on...

10. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Your partisan simplicity is glaringly obvious. Study a bit more on the topic.