How much did you pay

bigrebnc1775

][][][% NC Sheepdog
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 12, 2010
Kannapolis, N.C.
I hope this will be an informative thread non partisan no political blame thread.

How much was gas the day you got your drivers license? I'll start
56 cents a gallon. . In North Carolina

That's Regular not the unleaded regular

In 1985...

The average price for a gallon of regular gasoline at full-service stations in Cook County was $1.39, up 1.3 cents in the last four weeks and the same price charged a year ago, the club said.

The per-gallon price of regular gasoline at self-serve stations in Cook County also was up, increasing a half cent to $1.145 from $1.14 a month ago, the club said. The price, however, was 3.8 cents lower than it was last year. The survey found decreases in the price in Cook County for unleaded regular and premium gasolines at both full- and self-service stations.

AT FULL-SERVICE stations in Cook County, the per-gallon price of unleaded regular was $1.438. Unleaded premium cost an average of $1.587 a gallon, the club said.

Unleaded regular at self-service stations in Cook County sold for an average of $1.205 a gallon and unleaded premium cost an average of $1.413 a gallon, the survey found.

Prices ranged from $1.849 for a gallon of unleaded premium gasoline at a full-service station to 94.9 cents for a gallon of regular gasoline at a self- service station.

The bottom price for regular leaded gasoline at self-service stations has hovered near $1 a gallon since last summer, according to the motor club. Gasoline periodically has been reported selling for less than $1 a gallon since 1982.

Gas Prices Lower Than A Year Ago - Chicago Tribune

Leaded regular cost $1.19/gallon (which would be $2.20/gallon in chained 2000 dollars), while unleaded regular cost $1.25/gallon (which would be $2.30/gallon in chained 2000 dollars).

I hope this will be an informative thread non partisan no political blame thread.

How much was gas the day you got your drivers license? I'll start
56 cents a gallon. . In North Carolina

That's Regular not the unleaded regular
Big,Try A$1.56 per litre for unleaded in Australia at the moment 30.01.12.now I think in the US you are paying around 76cents as our currency is about the same,would 76 cents be right!!!!???steve.!!!!!!!!!theliq

Last edited:
Average was 36 cents in 1971.
Also my license exam was 100 questions plus a 25 question section on signage that you had to get 100% correct before you could take your road test, that was in Colorado. In 1978 I transferred my license to Virginia after moving here the year before, they handed me a test that had 10 questions on it. My response to the DMV worker was, "no wonder people here don't know how to drive".

I have no freaking idea.
I got my driver's license in 1980....somebody else figure it out ~LoL~

In '72 a group of us began planning a trip after graduating high school the following year. Like Ringle said- in the 30 cents range for gas.

'73 war broke out which pissed off the Arabs ergo the embargo.
So by graduation time we were looking at 50 cents plus and we had to seriously re-think the trip. Stations were rationing and many closed Sundays.
Illinois- Colorado-Yellowstone and back. Two vehicles (gas hogs both).
We went anyway. Starved most of the trip, but it was a hoot. :thup:

Forum List

Back