Insurance to protect our food supply.....

merrill

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2011
I feel uneasy sleeping in a house without functioning smoke detectors. I lock my doors at night. I salt my sidewalk when it's icy. I always wear my seatbelt. Like most people, I prefer to minimize my chances of getting hurt or wrecking my car or house, despite the fact that my house, my car, and my health are all (thankfully) insured.

When it comes to agriculture and climate change, I'd like to see our nation take the same approach. Even though most farmers have crop insurance, we should make sure we are also helping them adapt their cropping and livestock systems so that they don't get wiped out by floods and droughts in the first place. Climate change is making extreme weather the new normal. It's prudent to do everything we can to protect our food supply.

Unfortunately, most agriculture lobbyists are too single-minded as they try to influence the soon-to-be-written 2012 Farm Bill. Several farm state legislators, aligned with commodity groups like the American Soybean Association, are advocating for what are called "shallow-loss" revenue insurance programs, in which up to 95 percent of farmers' revenue is guaranteed.

But in this push to give farmers unprecedented levels of financial risk avoidance, there has been no mention of the need to help farmers prevent crop and livestock losses in the first place.

Farmers have always been at the mercy of the weather, which is why the federal government has offered subsidized crop insurance since the late 1930s. This kind of income insurance is critical to help keep farmers on the land, but our food supply needs insurance, too.

Climate Insurance to Protect Our Food Supply? | Common Dreams

I help insure my food supply with these.

windowfarm.jpg

And a willingness to butcher anything as long as I can deep-fry it with a coat of Andy's.

Awesome, we've let them use the insurance scam to centralize control over our health care, now we can do the same with food. Go team!

No snow or much rain not to mention warmer than ever.

I have planted seeds so now I must water to keep them warm. Hope they germinate soon.

Yep grow your own will become a booming business in the near future. Watering and mulching will be the order of the day 24/7.

No snow or much rain not to mention warmer than ever.

I have planted seeds so now I must water to keep them warm. Hope they germinate soon.

Yep grow your own will become a booming business in the near future. Watering and mulching will be the order of the day 24/7.

No, that will need to be banned.

I feel uneasy sleeping in a house without functioning smoke detectors. I lock my doors at night. I salt my sidewalk when it's icy. I always wear my seatbelt. Like most people, I prefer to minimize my chances of getting hurt or wrecking my car or house, despite the fact that my house, my car, and my health are all (thankfully) insured.

When it comes to agriculture and climate change, I'd like to see our nation take the same approach. Even though most farmers have crop insurance, we should make sure we are also helping them adapt their cropping and livestock systems so that they don't get wiped out by floods and droughts in the first place. Climate change is making extreme weather the new normal. It's prudent to do everything we can to protect our food supply.

Unfortunately, most agriculture lobbyists are too single-minded as they try to influence the soon-to-be-written 2012 Farm Bill. Several farm state legislators, aligned with commodity groups like the American Soybean Association, are advocating for what are called "shallow-loss" revenue insurance programs, in which up to 95 percent of farmers' revenue is guaranteed.

But in this push to give farmers unprecedented levels of financial risk avoidance, there has been no mention of the need to help farmers prevent crop and livestock losses in the first place.

Farmers have always been at the mercy of the weather, which is why the federal government has offered subsidized crop insurance since the late 1930s. This kind of income insurance is critical to help keep farmers on the land, but our food supply needs insurance, too.

Agriculture is Actually one area where I part with my Libertarian/Conservative Ideals, and Lean toward more Government Involvement. Back in the old days days we could get by with Family Farms, and little Government Involvement. Today with a Population well over 300,000,000 To feed. It is unavoidable we are going to have to Prop up the Industry. If we were paying the Prices they actually needs to charge to make money with out help on most Goods, we would all be broke.

Agriculture is Actually one area where I part with my Libertarian/Conservative Ideals, and Lean toward more Government Involvement. Back in the old days days we could get by with Family Farms, and little Government Involvement. Today with a Population well over 300,000,000 To feed. It is unavoidable we are going to have to Prop up the Industry. If we were paying the Prices they actually needs to charge to make money with out help on most Goods, we would all be broke.

Hell yes! Nationalizing the food supply is our only hope.

Forum List

Back