How many here have an old Windows XP stowed away to play old games?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I have a great old computer in a closet that has XP.
It is a powerhouse. It use to be a graphic design PC that has the max RAM, best processor of the time. Easily a $2000 box at the time.
Anyway... I keep saying I am going to get it out and buy some old games etc.
But never do.

It is a powerhouse. It use to be a graphic design PC that has the max RAM, best processor of the time. Easily a $2000 box at the time.
But never do.
I have a PlayStation one with a bunch of cool games like the original resident evil and gran Turismo and I have got to dig it out for this winter when I'm stuck at home in the snow...

The whole Red Alert series is one of my all time favorites.
The online versions suck.
I would like to have that whole series again.

But never do.

I have a first gen XBox and a Nintendo 64 I keep for playing old games. Still break out the original Call of Duty series and Zelda: Ocarina of Time once in a while.

I have a first gen XBox and a Nintendo 64 I keep for playing old games. Still break out the original Call of Duty series and Zelda: Ocarina of Time once in a while.
I have my son's Xbox 360 here he left when he went to college.
Whip it out occasionally. Got about 25 games.
Call of Duty Black Ops, The Left 4 dead series, Borderlands, Gears of War... 5 Halo games etc.

But never do.
Meh, I think I do, but I've learned to install vmware in Windows 10 and use that.

You can allocate the RAM, emulate a good video card, set number of cores to use, all kinds of stuff.

It works for most all XP games quite well.

You can do the same thing with Windows 98, too.

Meh, I think I do, but I've learned to install vmware in Windows 10 and use that.

You can allocate the RAM, emulate a good video card, set number of cores to use, all kinds of stuff.

It works for most all XP games quite well.

You can do the same thing with Windows 98, too.
Yeah I believe the original Red Alert series, when you ran on XP, you had to run it in..what was that called?.. "classic mode"?
One of the things I know it used was IPX/SPX for network games. :D

The whole Red Alert series is one of my all time favorites.
The online versions suck.
I would like to have that whole series again.
We can do some rounds of Red Alert in the C&C Remastered Collection.

Apart from that I have no problems playing old games on Windows 10.

Some old games won't run on Windows 10. Axis & Allies is one.

Yeah I have played it on CnC... it is installed now actually, but it is glitchy.
Depends on what and with whom you play. It is still the old game with new graphics and online support. Too many units will cause the game to lag and stutter but that is because of the game. Most people there are morons that play maps that will cause too many units. And then it can take 10 seconds from selecting a unit to command it. Besides morons there are many nasty players that don´t want to play, just rush you. That results in many hosts kicking everyone they don´t know. So the game has basically been destroyed by the users but there are some players worth to get into a match with and then it is great fun.

Depends on what and with whom you play. It is still the old game with new graphics and online support. Too many units will cause the game to lag and stutter but that is because of the game. Most people there are morons that play maps that will cause too many units. And then it can take 10 seconds from selecting a unit to command it. Besides morons there are many nasty players that don´t want to play, just rush you. That results in many hosts kicking everyone they don´t know. So the game has basically been destroyed by the users but there are some players worth to get into a match with and then it is great fun.
Indeed... I quit trying to play others online for the same reasons.
I tried 3 or 4 times and quit... every single time I barely got started when they rush in and it is over before it begins. I don't see the fun in that at all.
In the original series online you could mitigate that with custom maps where everyone starts out with power and defenses already online.

But never do.
Yes I have old laptops with older Windows systems, including XP, that I can't bring myself to part with mostly because they will run software that the latest Windows systems will not. Sometimes I set one up for a visiting guest to use but for the most part they just collect dust.

Yes I have old laptops with older Windows systems, including XP, that I can't bring myself to part with mostly because they will run software that the latest Windows systems will not. Sometimes I set one up for a visiting guest to use but for the most part they just collect dust.
I have an old Lego Racer CD that I can't possibly throw away.
My son and I played this way back when he was 7 or 8 years old. He is 29 now.
I will have that CD in my possession till the day I die.

Indeed... I quit trying to play others online for the same reasons.
I tried 3 or 4 times and quit... every single time I barely got started when they rush in and it is over before it begins. I don't see the fun in that at all.
In the original series online you could mitigate that with custom maps where everyone starts out with power and defenses already online.
That is still possible. The powerful map editor allows for maps even with scripts. But most custom maps used are just empty maps with plenty of resources or unfading resources. We opt for the "The Hills have Eyes" map which makes it difficult to rush and provides strategic options.

I even played with Trump!
trump6lkdi.jpg

Or look here:
comuujxr.jpg

Here is how the little fucks claim a victory. See those in Team 1, they are idle:
cctnj4q.jpg

Last edited:
I have a few old Windows machines, a few old Linus Ubuntu machines, and I have an Amiga 500, Amiga 600HD (40MB) and Amiga 1200HD (80MB). I should probably sell those, since I've been using the Amiga Forever Windows emulator for 20 years+.

Forum List

Back