How long till govt sticks its nose into the huddle of the NFL? Obama opines

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Did you read the article? What he said was that people who love the game are probably going to have to think about changes. He proposed no laws or even suggested the government was going to step in. He's a fan with an opinion on this one. Nothing more. Not everything is a catastrophy.

• Banned
Did you read the article? What he said was that people who love the game are probably going to have to think about changes. He proposed no laws or even suggested the government was going to step in. He's a fan with an opinion on this one. Nothing more. Not everything is a catastrophy.

Of course I read it. That's why my title says HOW LONG until....

I read the title too. I also read your post.

Because Obama has an opinion about football. He probably also has an opinion about washing your feet. How long before there is a federal foot police? What's next? FBI agents checking your dental records to make sure you brush after every meal.

Because Obama has an opinion about football. He probably also has an opinion about washing your feet. How long before there is a federal foot police? What's next? FBI agents checking your dental records to make sure you brush after every meal.

Probably not long at all. It's not that obama has an opinion. The Imperial has an opinion and that opinon is "Let it be written. Let it be done."

The government has a vital interest in protecting public health. Foot washing and dental hygine is an important part of public health. Especially if the government is paying for cavities, athlete's foot or toe nail fungus.

President Obama says football 'will probably (have to) change' to reduce head injuries - NY Daily News

What's next? Nascar drivers racing with RC cars rather than real ones? Seriously. Drivers and sometimes spectators die during races. Football? I don't remember ever seeing a death.

Not to suggest the sport isn't dangerous but everyone knows that going in. Isn't that partially why they are paid so much?

I guess only Republicans are allowed to meddle with football.
Football, however, was fatal, and even Roosevelt acknowledged it required reform if it was to be saved. With his son Theodore Jr. now playing for the Harvard freshman team, he had a paternal interest in reforming the game as well. Fresh from negotiating an end to the Russo-Japanese War, Roosevelt sought to end violence on the football field as well as the battlefield. Using his “big stick,” the First Fan summoned the head coaches and representatives of the premier collegiate powers—Harvard, Yale and Princeton—to the White House on October 9, 1905. Roosevelt urged them to curb excessive violence and set an example of fair play for the rest of the country. The schools released a statement condemning brutality and pledging to keep the game clean.

An intercollegiate conference, which would become the forerunner of the NCAA, approved radical rule changes for the 1906 season. They legalized the forward pass, abolished the dangerous mass formations, created a neutral zone between offense and defense and doubled the first-down distance to 10 yards, to be gained in three downs. The rule changes didn’t eliminate football’s dangers, but fatalities declined—to 11 per year in both 1906 and 1907—while injuries fell sharply. A spike in fatalities in 1909 led to another round of reforms that further eased restrictions on the forward pass and formed the foundation of the modern sport.

How Teddy Roosevelt Saved Football ? History in the Headlines

Last edited:

Probably not long at all. It's not that obama has an opinion. The Imperial has an opinion and that opinon is "Let it be written. Let it be done."

The government has a vital interest in protecting public health. Foot washing and dental hygine is an important part of public health. Especially if the government is paying for cavities, athlete's foot or toe nail fungus.

Yes. I see. We are all doomed. DOOMED I SAY!!!!!! (you may now run around in circles waving your hands wildly over your head)

Really guys. Is it possible to get any sillier?

President Obama says football 'will probably (have to) change' to reduce head injuries - NY Daily News

What's next? Nascar drivers racing with RC cars rather than real ones? Seriously. Drivers and sometimes spectators die during races. Football? I don't remember ever seeing a death.

Not to suggest the sport isn't dangerous but everyone knows that going in. Isn't that partially why they are paid so much?

Football, however, was fatal, and even Roosevelt acknowledged it required reform if it was to be saved. With his son Theodore Jr. now playing for the Harvard freshman team, he had a paternal interest in reforming the game as well. Fresh from negotiating an end to the Russo-Japanese War, Roosevelt sought to end violence on the football field as well as the battlefield. Using his “big stick,” the First Fan summoned the head coaches and representatives of the premier collegiate powers—Harvard, Yale and Princeton—to the White House on October 9, 1905. Roosevelt urged them to curb excessive violence and set an example of fair play for the rest of the country. The schools released a statement condemning brutality and pledging to keep the game clean.

An intercollegiate conference, which would become the forerunner of the NCAA, approved radical rule changes for the 1906 season. They legalized the forward pass, abolished the dangerous mass formations, created a neutral zone between offense and defense and doubled the first-down distance to 10 yards, to be gained in three downs. The rule changes didn’t eliminate football’s dangers, but fatalities declined—to 11 per year in both 1906 and 1907—while injuries fell sharply. A spike in fatalities in 1909 led to another round of reforms that further eased restrictions on the forward pass and formed the foundation of the modern sport.

Teddy was a Real Progressive.

Teddy was a Real Progressive.

ok.

I didn't mention Obama in the post. Stop projecting.

It wasn't that long ago we were calling athletes before congress to discuss various topics that don't belong before congress to begin with. My question was valid and your projection did nothing to answer it.

Since the NFL is unionized, nothing will happen until the GOP steps in to try and make the NFL "right to work"

It wasn't that long ago we were calling athletes before congress to discuss various topics that don't belong before congress to begin with. My question was valid and your projection did nothing to answer it.

????WTF???

.......Obama opines

in 2008 he also told us he fully supported the 2nd amendment. Biden went even further saying no one was going ot take his guns. now they are trying to take ours

????WTF???

.......Obama opines

I mentioned him in the title. I also LINKED an article of his opinion. I didn't post my thoughts on his opinion in the post body. But since partisans want to keep pushing I will now.

As president Obama's voice carries weight and can unduly influence others or even begin an agenda. That is the reality of any president. For him to say we must embrace changes is dumb. This fucking country is supposed to be FREE. The only things that need to change is the players need to man up and stop sueing the league. They knew the risks and still signed up. The NFL as a PRIVATE entity is entirely responsible for making the choices they deem necessary. The players have a union so what's the problem? I thought unions solved workplace issues?
Instead we get the opinion of Obama and then the question comes up....when will the govt intervene?

Another Obama hack attack thread.

Obama said football will have to change. Everyone agrees that football must police itself or face more potentially bad press.

Also, keep in mind it was congress that got involved with policing baseball and steroids.

And who first purposed that in his State of Union speech? Um....

Oh, yeah.... W.

Obama said football will have to change. Everyone agrees that football must police itself or face more potentially bad press.

Also, keep in mind it was congress that got involved with policing baseball and steroids.

Oh, yeah.... W.

You made my point for me despite your effort to discredit me.

Congress did not belong in baseball yet they saw fit to dive right in. So answer my question...how long till football winds up a govt issue?

Oh, yeah.... W.

You made my point for me despite your effort to discredit me.

Congress did not belong in baseball yet they saw fit to dive right in. So answer my question...how long till football winds up a govt issue?

Isn't it already? Taxpayers fund their stadiums.

Forum List

Back