How long should a firearm background check take?

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017
What is a reasonable amount of time for the FBI to have for a background check when someone wants to buy a gun?

IMO the biggest problem with all the focus on background checks is it detracts from identifying and stopping the next shooter. If we get a "universal background check" for assault weapons then the politicians will be slapping each other on the back saying "WE DID IT!!!" And there will be much rejoicing until the next mass shooter goes beserk.

It's a name and date of birth check that would uncover a criminal record and/or psychiatric counseling. If the FBI is the greatest agency in the world you tell me how long it should take? Five minutes?

About 1 second. How long should it take to find out if a person is currently incarcerated..?

Don't hold me to it exactly but in Virginia I think it's three days.

If by then you don't clear (the check is done through the VSP) it's up to the FFL if they sell to you or not. Most won't.

Usually such delays are caused by a glitch in the system and the VSP will tell the FFL if there is something amiss with the system going on.

My checks (when necessary) typically take 5 minutes of less.....Mostly less.

I hold a 03 FFL so C&R qualified guns are cash and carry with the paperwork handled between the two FFLs.

What is a reasonable amount of time for the FBI to have for a background check when someone wants to buy a gun?
Empty set: Background checks violate the constitution.

Current technology allows for check to take place almost instantaneously - there's no need for it to last more than 30 seconds.
It should take longer for the FFL to submit and receive the information than the actual check.

I think someone needs to investigate the FBI, because they're essentially a criminal organization right now.

They've purged most of the mental cases and Islamic terrorists out of their files.
Another benny for electing a communist (Barack H. Obama) as POTUS.

Instaneous.........anyone should be able to do a background check using a free phone app, connected to all government data bases....

It should be free....you should plug in the name of the buyer, his birthdate, drivers license number and in seconds get a go/no go for the sale based on criminal record, mental health records, outstanding warrants.........

IMO the biggest problem with all the focus on background checks is it detracts from identifying and stopping the next shooter. If we get a "universal background check" for assault weapons then the politicians will be slapping each other on the back saying "WE DID IT!!!" And there will be much rejoicing until the next mass shooter goes beserk.

Sorry to disagree with you......

They know that universal background checks won't stop criminals or mass public shooters....that isn't the point of universal background checks....

The anti-gun fascists want universal background checks because they are the trojan horse for gun registration...

As you pointed out, universal background checks won't stop mass public shooters because most of the time they have clean records....so they can pass any background check...

Criminals use straw buyers who can also pass anybackground check or the steal their guns....

So....the fascists get universal background checks and criminals still get guns, and mass public shootings still happen.....

The fascists then say...well.....universal background checks aren't effective because we don't know who owns the gun originally...so we need gun registration for universal background checks to work.....

The only reason they want universal background checks is to later demand gun registration.......gun registration is their wet dream...

Empty set: Background checks violate the constitution.

Current technology allows for check to take place almost instantaneously - there's no need for it to last more than 30 seconds.
It should take longer for the FFL to submit and receive the information than the actual check.

You can vote for a contestant on a television dance contest or singing contest in seconds.......you can look for any book, ever written, anywhere in the world.....

A background check....should be instantaneous......

Not one single infringement of the 2A has ever satisfied the Left. NONE EVER WILL. Short of its complete abolishing. Just say "no". Do not comply.

No longer than it takes to recite the second amendment.

And the 1st Amendment because it compels Individuals to speak and to provide information about themselves in order to acquire a gun.

And the 5th Amendment since Individuals are compelled to provide evidence against themselves in order to acquire a gun.

And the 10th Amendment because the requirement to provide this information is not something that is explicitely stated as a power of the federal government in the Constitution.

Oddly, the last time I mentioned all of those fundamental truths and invoked their relevance into dialogue with regard to the matter, I recall some of my so-called ''conservative' peers openly contending that they hoped that if any federal agents were reading what I post on here, that they would consider taking a close look at me as they thought that I was a disaster just waiting to happen.

The moral of the story? There's no real difference between your standard winger. Ultimately they're all on the same team. Though they do try to put on a good show...

Last edited:
And the 1st Amendment because it compels Individuals to speak and to provide information about themselves in order to acquire a gun.

And the 5th Amendment since Individuals are compelled to provide evidence against themselves in order to acquire a gun.

And the 10th Amendment because the requirement to provide this information is not something that is explicitely stated as a power of the federal government in the Constitution.

Oddly, the last time I mentioned all of those fundamental truths and invoked their relevance into dialogue with regard to the matter, I recall some of my so-called ''conservative' peers openly contending that they hoped that if any federal agents were reading what I post on here, that they would consider taking a close look at me as they thought that I was a disaster just waiting to happen.

The moral of the story? There's no real difference between your standard winger. Ultimately they're all on the same team. Though they do try to put on a good show...
The loud, proud, self proclaimed, "law-abiding" gun owner, is the greatest threat to the 2A there is. They literally trip over one another, in their zeal to legitimize 2A infringements...

Forum List

Back