How is austerity doing in Europe

So, oldstyle is at it again. He says:
And I love the fact that the board's resident Tommy Flanagan is back trying to post intelligently about economics! You gotta admire the little guy's chutzpa. It takes nerve to pretend to be an authority on a subject you know nothing about.
that would be your opinion. I have a reasonably good understanding of economics, based on an econ degree and a whole lot of study. But, it is amusing to hear a dish washer telling me I do not understand the subject.

Then, Oldstyle said:
He took a little leave of absence after declaring that he was an executive at BP while folks were discussing energy policy. I think even Rshermr knew he was a little "over the top" on that lie.

And that would be a bald faced lie. Which is nothing new for oldstyle. I never in my life said I was an executive at BP. I never worked for them. I did work with execs at BP, in a position with a vendor selling to them. But I never in my life worked for them. Now, maybe if you disagree, you would like to provide some proof. But of course, you can not, because you are lying. Again. As you are wont to do.
Relative to a leave of absence, that would be none of your business. I am retired, and often get away from posting here. Sorry you have a problem with that.

You're the biggest bullshit artist on this board, dude! When the discussion was about economics you claimed to have taught economics in college as an undergrad! Then when the discussion was about energy you claimed to have been an executive with BP.

Gee, if the subject becomes Nukes will you next claim to have been working side by side with Fermi and Oppenheimer on the Manhattan Project? Or if it's space exploration will you claim to have been an astronaut for NASA?

So, oldstyle is at it again. He says:
And I love the fact that the board's resident Tommy Flanagan is back trying to post intelligently about economics! You gotta admire the little guy's chutzpa. It takes nerve to pretend to be an authority on a subject you know nothing about.
that would be your opinion. I have a reasonably good understanding of economics, based on an econ degree and a whole lot of study. But, it is amusing to hear a dish washer telling me I do not understand the subject.

Then, Oldstyle said:
He took a little leave of absence after declaring that he was an executive at BP while folks were discussing energy policy. I think even Rshermr knew he was a little "over the top" on that lie.

And that would be a bald faced lie. Which is nothing new for oldstyle. I never in my life said I was an executive at BP. I never worked for them. I did work with execs at BP, in a position with a vendor selling to them. But I never in my life worked for them. Now, maybe if you disagree, you would like to provide some proof. But of course, you can not, because you are lying. Again. As you are wont to do.
Relative to a leave of absence, that would be none of your business. I am retired, and often get away from posting here. Sorry you have a problem with that.

You're the biggest bullshit artist on this board, dude! When the discussion was about economics you claimed to have taught economics in college as an undergrad! Then when the discussion was about energy you claimed to have been an executive with BP.

Gee, if the subject becomes Nukes will you next claim to have been working side by side with Fermi and Oppenheimer on the Manhattan Project? Or if it's space exploration will you claim to have been an astronaut for NASA?
So, Oldstyle says:
You're the biggest bullshit artist on this board, dude!
I never, ever have lied in any post that I have ever made. Which is why you can never catch me in a lie, as hard as you try. I have, as you know, caught you in many.

When the discussion was about economics you claimed to have taught economics in college as an undergrad!
Yes, I did. And yes I did. In assistance to an econ proff who did not like teaching economics for non econ majors. As you know.
Then when the discussion was about energy you claimed to have been an executive with BP.
Again, I have caught you lying. Which is no surprise, as it is common with you If you were not lying, you would be posting my statement all over this board. I never worked for BP at any level, much less as an executive there.

Look, you tiny minded dishwasher. If you have some proof, bring it on. But of course you do not. Because you are lying again. And wasting everyone's time with your childish vendetta against me, which I fully understand was because I have proven you to have lied so many times. You can not show that I lied, because I did not. Simple as that. I gave you the opportunity to prove yourself before, and you ran. Because, me boy, you know damn well I am not lying. The really funny thing is that you think that saying I helped teach an econ class over 45 years ago was something that anyone would lie about. Jesus, you are trivial. One more post, one more lie. I think I will start keeping a copy of your lies, so I can keep track. But then, I will not. Because you are truly irelivent. I do not like dealing with people that have no integrity. Which includes liars like you.
Try to stick to the subject of the thread, and show others some level of respect for their time.

Last edited:
Why would I show "respect" to someone who repeatedly lies here?

You claim to be college educated and I point out that you have the grammar and spelling skills of a slow sixth grader. Your reply? That your "private secretary" has always "proofed" your correspondence. LOL You're so full of shit it's laughable.

You claim to have taught economics at the college level but don't understand the basics of the subject. You're like George Costanza trying to pass himself off an architect. Do you really think anyone buys this act of yours? You're an internet "poser".

You claim to be college educated and I point out that you have the grammar and spelling skills of a slow sixth grader. Your reply? That your "private secretary" has always "proofed" your correspondence. LOL You're so full of shit it's laughable.

You claim to have taught economics at the college level but don't understand the basics of the subject. You're like George Costanza trying to pass himself off an architect. Do you really think anyone buys this act of yours? You're an internet "poser".

you must be talking about Reshemer, the genius liberal who insists the NY Times is not biased, taxing an economy will help it grow, a higher minimum wage will increase employment, and the Reagan era economy was not affected when the Fed raised interest rates to 20% to cause the greatest recession since the Depression?

Liberalism is based on pure ignorance. What other explanation is possible??

And you must be ed. Lying about everything you said I have said. You are not worth commenting on, but I do not like being lied about. Shows very low integrity.

And you must be ed. Lying about everything you said I have said. You are not worth commenting on, but I do not like being lied about. Shows very low integrity.

You must be talking about Reshemer, the genius liberal who insists the NY Times is not biased, taxing an economy will help it grow, a higher minimum wage will increase employment, the Reagan era economy was not affected when the Fed raised interest rates to 20% to cause the greatest recession since the Depression, and that the CBO says the stimulus worked?

You must be talking about Reshemer, the genius liberal who insists the NY Times is not biased, taxing an economy will help it grow, a higher minimum wage will increase employment, the Reagan era economy was not affected when the Fed raised interest rates to 20% to cause the greatest recession since the Depression, and that the CBO says the stimulus worked?

Ah, very tricky, ed. You just copied and pasted your last post, which I responded to. You then added a final statement to your post, relative to me saying that the CBO said the stimulus worked. Which I actually did say. And proved to you at the time.
You lack any semblance of integrity, ed. Normal people do not lie on an open board. But it seems not to bother you when you lie.
What was it, ed, two days ago that you took a quote of mine, modified it to suite your desire, and reposted it saying that your modified version of my post was what I had posted. And I copied my original post and proved that you had done so. What a waste of space you are. I am watching to see if you try it again. But then, even you may be smart enough to know you will be exposed again should you care to try it.

So Oldstyle says:

You claim to be college educated and I point out that you have the grammar and spelling skills of a slow sixth grader.

Right. That would be your opinion. And you know how much I have learned to value your opinion. And then again, I do take more care with my replies to those who do not lie continually. Like this lie from you, Oldstyle.

Look, I know you are burned by the number of times that I have proven that you lied. And you have questioned my college education several times before. And I made you, on more than one occasion, the offer to come on out, and you can come with me to the document verification service of your choice. And if either of the two diplomas that I possess can not be verified, you get $10K. If not, I get your $10K And, I will even pay your airfare. Hell, $10K is good money for 2 or 3 days, in my book, for someone who says he is so sure I am lying. I never lie, as you know, so I am certain that you will not take the bet. But, the money needs to be in trust. Because I want insurance that you pay against your bet I do not see you as trustworthy.

Your reply? That your "private secretary" has always "proofed" your correspondence. LOL You're so full of shit it's laughable.

So, now you are questioning that I had a secretary that worked for me? That is a new one. Never thought that was a big issue, even for you. Look, I got my degrees over 45 years ago. And during those years, I was not washing dishes. Now, if you would like to prove me wrong, the $10K bet goes for this new accusation of yours. No problem at all. Amazing that you are so impressed with such a minor thing as that. What a small minded clown you are.

But here is what will happen, Oldstyle. You will just go on making accusations that you can not back up. Personal attacks because you are incapable of discussing a subject.

That would be your opinion. Though not really. Actually, you know it is the truth. But to date, I have not lost an economic argument with you. You simply revert to personal attacks when you are proven wrong. Or proven to be a liar. Which has happened over and over. And here you are again, doing as I suggested after your last personal attack, yesterday. Wasting everyone's time trying to settle a score with me instead of discussing the subject of the thread. You lack any semblance of integrity, Oldstyle. You really do. Try to have enough integrity to stay on a subject, and have some respect for others who come to a thread thinking that those that post there will actually do so. And stop wasting others time. You have tried these personal attacks at least 30 times by now. Get a grip.

Last edited:
I "know" that it is true that you taught college level economics as an undergrad? Sorry, Tommy but I don't "know" that. Quite frankly it's such an unlikely story that I'd be skeptical of it even if I hadn't had conversations with you that convinced me that your knowledge of economics was so minimal that it's unlikely you even TOOK the subject in college...let alone taught it! Undergrads don't teach college courses. I'm sorry but they don't. The fact that you think they DO leads me to believe that you don't have much in the way of experience with college and your grammar and spelling mistakes only serve to strengthen that belief.

I "know" that it is true that you taught college level economics as an undergrad? Sorry, Tommy but I don't "know" that. Quite frankly it's such an unlikely story that I'd be skeptical of it even if I hadn't had conversations with you that convinced me that your knowledge of economics was so minimal that it's unlikely you even TOOK the subject in college...let alone taught it! Undergrads don't teach college courses. I'm sorry but they don't. The fact that you think they DO leads me to believe that you don't have much in the way of experience with college and your grammar and spelling mistakes only serve to strengthen that belief.

Again, that would be your opinion. Or at least your statement. But you are, if not lying, stretching things way beyond what I said. What I said, Oldstyle, as you well know, is that I worked with an economics PHD who did not like teaching a very large introduction to econ class, for non econ majors. It had frequently well over 100 students. He divided up the class 4 days per week. And taught the class himself in total one day. So, he offered 4 students the chance to teach the divided class 4 days each week. Each class about 1/4 of the full class. Now, if that means in your mind that I said I taught an economics class, then good for you. None of us looked at it that way. Lillard, the econ PHD provided the teaching outline. We taught what he told us to teach, in terms of subject matter. But then, you know that, Oldstyle. Because I have told you that, at your insistence several times.
Then, of course, you said you would get off the subject if I would give you a full rundown. I got so tired of your insistent prattle that I agreed. Though I said at the time that I believed you would go on with your juvenile pattern of personal attacks over your "belief" that I did not in fact do as I said in my response to your request. Obviously, believing anything that you say is a stupid endeavor. Never wrestle with a pig, me boy. You both get muddy, and the pig likes it. And the pig is you.

Relative to your questioning of my econ knowledge, why don't you start your own thread, and we will see how you do should I disagree with your statements. I see you often laying out conservative arguments to those who post here and who have little econ background, and lying to them like a rug. If you want to try that with me, be my guest. It's your funeral. (Sorry about sounding so confident, but you have not proven to present anything close to a high bar.) There is your chance to prove your point. But then you will not, Oldstyle. Because you simply post con dogma. From con sites. Which are not known for their honesty. And are therefor easy enough to disprove.
But, as I said in my last post, #28 of this thread, the offer is always there. If you really believe what you are saying about my econ background (or lack thereof), take the bet.

Last edited:
What, you're back to your $10,000 dollar bet again? LOL You internet posers are as predictable as sunrise and sunset. Gee, Tommy...don't you think for a big BP exec like yourself ten grand is kind of small potatoes? Why don't you make it a hundred thousand? Heck, make it a million! You're good for it... (eye-roll) Fly me out there on the corporate jet while you're at it. Your wife (Morgan Fairchild) can be my stewardess!!!

Last edited:
What, you're back to your $10,000 dollar bet again? LOL You internet posers are as predictable as sunrise and sunset. Gee, Tommy...don't you think for a big BP exec like yourself ten grand is kind of small potatoes? Why don't you make it a hundred thousand? Heck, make it a million! You're good for it... (eye-roll) Fly me out there on the corporate jet while you're at it. Your wife (Morgan Fairchild) can be my stewardess!!!
You are pathetic. Making more unsupportable attacks and telling lies. Perhaps since you say that I said I was a bp exec, you can copy and post that link. But we know why, don't we. Because you are lying again, as usual.
$10K seemed reasonable to me. If you would rather, name a different amount. But what you are really saying, me boy, is that you were making accusations that are wrong. And you will be proven wrong. And you will loose your little bet. Cmon, man. You made the accusations. If you are correct, you make the bucks. Stop running from it. And sorry, I have no access to nor have I ever said I did have access to a corporate jet. You are flying coach, should you actually show the courage to take the bet.

Nice to see that you simply want to waste everyone's time. You are a simple little con tool who can not back up his accusations. But simply want to waste other members time with your tiny little accusations. Funny thing is, you know you are lying and caught at it. If not, you would be scheduling time to pick up $10K. I sure as hell would. And relative to the amount, you have been out of college, you say, for a lot of years. You still can not come up with $10K? Jesus, me boy, you should be making around 10 times that amount yearly, or more, by now. What, washing dishes does not pay well???
Want to try some econ arguments? Have you not set up a thread to discuss an economic issue you have interest in? Can you not comment on the subject of this thread. Look, I do not make accusations that I can not support. And I fully admit my dishwasher digs are just that. Digs. After all, you say you are a food services pro working in a restaurant. So, great. But you do make personal attacks all the time. And you lie. In this post, again you said that I claimed to be a bp executive. Which is a lie. If it were not, you would be showing me the post. Which again, proves you have no integrity. Sad.

You want me to start another post so you can prove your economic "chops"? Why would I bother, Tommy? You've demonstrated over and over that you know little to nothing about the subject. Or have you forgotten your gaffe when I questioned you about what economic school of thought you were basing your contentions on? You thought I was was talking about an actual college, you're so clueless about economics. I had to TELL you that I was referring to schools of thought...not an actual place.

You "say" that you graduated with a degree in economics but you somehow didn't realize that someone referring to the "Chicago School" was referring to a school of economic thought rather than a college in Chicago that teaches economics? It's huge gaffes like THAT, Rshermr that tell me that you're a total bullshit artist.

You want me to start another post so you can prove your economic "chops"? Why would I bother, Tommy? You've demonstrated over and over that you know little to nothing about the subject. Or have you forgotten your gaffe when I questioned you about what economic school of thought you were basing your contentions on? You thought I was was talking about an actual college, you're so clueless about economics. I had to TELL you that I was referring to schools of thought...not an actual place.

You "say" that you graduated with a degree in economics but you somehow didn't realize that someone referring to the "Chicago School" was referring to a school of economic thought rather than a college in Chicago that teaches economics? It's huge gaffes like THAT, Rshermr that tell me that you're a total bullshit artist.
Right. You never heard of the U of Chicago. Where the cons live. dipshit. And, as I recall, you said economic schools that teach. to which I commented that economic schools of thought, or economic theories, do not teach. Colleges, on the other hand, do.
At any rate, that has to do with an economic term that you think is a big deal. Not economic policies. Since you believe that you have more economic understanding than I do, why not prove it? Why, of course, because you know you can not.
So, I was just wondering, me boy. How much of everyone's time do you intend to waste with your accusations and lies. Want to comment on the subject of this post, or are you simply incapable.
Ah, what the hell. Maybe I will put in a few typo's so you can show your proficiency at finding them. That would be impressive, eh. And you could make a few more posts about that.
Did you ever think that you are making yourself look like an insignificant tool with your continued personal attacks based on either no proof, and that you can not prove? Just wondering. Ever think that you are proving your incapability to discuss actual economic topics? If you want to prove that I tried to build myself up by saying that I was a bp exec, which you can not since it was never posted, then lets see the post. Because you are lying again. If a person with integrity found a lie, and called it out, he would prove that that lie was posted. But you can not. Because you are making it up. As in lying. And liars tend to continue to lie. So, why would anyone believe you.
So, the one of the times you lied, over and over again, about the same thing, I collected your lies. I could easily enough paste them onto a single post for all to see. But I choose not to waste peoples time. Unlike you, I do not choose to waste others time.

Liars get tripped up when they pretend to know about things they know little about. It's the old adage...give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves. That's you in a nutshell, Tommy. You wanted to impress everyone with your "expertise" with economics so you claimed to have taught economics at the college level. But you don't seem to know very much about the subject which inevitably leads to questions about what college it was you were a professor at...which is a problem because colleges have lists of faculty and you're obviously not going to be on any of those lists. So what do you do? You come up with the story that you taught economics as an undergrad to help out the real professor...which is about as implausible an explanation as I've ever heard.

It's the same thing with your claim to be a college graduate. I point out that for someone who supposedly graduated with college degree...your grammar and spelling are atrocious. What's your answer for that? That you're a business executive and your private secretary normally proofs all of your correspondence. Amazing how having a secretary can turn a college educated person into a functional illiterate! But that's your story and as we all KNOW...you never lie. Which we know is the truth because you tell us it's true. LOL

Last edited:
Only in the deranged liberal mind....

Excessive uncontrolled spending and entitlements create massive debt, drag the economy down and practically bankrupt a country, they use austerity measures to try to get things under control and it's the austerity measures that are the problem.

Liberalism is a grave mental disorder.

Excessive uncontrolled spending and entitlements create massive debt, drag the economy down and practically bankrupt a country, they use austerity measures to try to get things under control and it's the austerity measures that are the problem.

not its not, when you are drunk you're supposed to drink more and when you're bankrupt you're supposed to spend more!! It makes perfect sense, .... if you're a liberal. Oh, and then when you get like Greece you begin to cut back and borrow money from those who have it because they practiced austerity.!!

So, you believe austerity is working?? Any proof?? Links??

So, you believe austerity is working?? Any proof?? Links??

4) Europe is trying to steal money from Germany that Germany has thanks to austerity!!

Working?? too stupid by 1000% !!! austerity in Europe is working wonderfully!! Their numbers are getting better while ours are getting worse!!!The idea that tax and spend idiotic liberalism will get us to a smaller debt is identical to saying more drugs will cure the junkie. How stupid can a liberal be???

Only a blind stupid monkey liberal would say more drugs would work. Why be so afraid to explain how on earth that is possible???? What does your inability tell us say about the IQ and character of liberals???????

Wolfgang Schauble:

"According to the latest estimates, the Euro zone's budget shortfall should be 3.2% of GDP this year, half the level of 2009 and well below the deficits of the USA and Japan. In the last 3 years the structural deficit- the fiscal shortfall adjusted for the change in the business cycle- has shrunk to
2.1% from 4.6%.

After years of steady rises in Spain Portugal and Greece and other places the current account deficits have fallen rapidly driven not just by retreating consumption and imports but also, crucially, by rising exports.

Unit labor costs in Ireland and Greece have dropped 12% since 2009 and by 6% and 5% in Spain and Portugal respectively. As the OECD acknowledged in its recent "Going for Growth"
the crisis has served as a catalyst for structural reform in those countries that most needed it, particularly in the labor market.

As these trend show Europe's crises management has proved itself."

Last edited:
So, there has been a lot of talks about the austerity programs being pushed on european countries. Lots of blame being placed on the countries where austerity is in place, from all sorts of folks. Austerity is, in general, a forced program of free market policies with the primary plan being the reduction of debt by elimination of government spending. The stated projected outcome is that debt will be reduced, GDP will grow, and employment will be increased.
I have been waiting to determine what the outcome is likely to be. My want is that it would be most likely that Austerity would be a disaster. But I felt I owed it a look before mouthing off about the absurdity of the whole thing. And in my opinion, my opinion is of little value until there is some proof of the likely outcome. So, I kept watching, and after a year or two, I think the verdict is close to in. Increasingly. impartial sources close to the subject have become more and more and more pessimistic. And we are close to a time when it will be the decesion of most, by a wide margin, that austerity has failed, or is failing, in pretty much every country where it has been instituted.
Here is an article out of the UK that is very representative of what is being said:

We should be interested. Austerity has some major similarities to our own fiscal cliff issues. We should be interested. European austerity is the model for neo conservative policies. Looking at how things are going, from a realistic point of view, should be useful.

Do you know what got them into their Economic Crisis in the first place?

It certainly was not austerity!
Greece News - Breaking World Greece News - The New York Times

French president François Hollande has bowed to massive pressure for business tax cuts to pull France’s economy out of slump and stave off industrial decline, ditching a core element of his socialist platform.

Francois-Hollande-lurches-Right-in-historic-U-Turn-to-save-French-economy.html
Critics call it the most humiliating U-turn in French politics since François Mitterrand abandoned his disastrous experiment of "Socialism in one country" under a D-Mark currency peg in 1983.

All of Europe made three big mistakes causing their Economic Crisis.

Our President is taking us forward to an even greater Economic Crisis.

The Democrats have no idea that the President continues to pursue an economic policy that has never worked. Europe is a perfect example of how this Economic Theory fails.

Do you even know what the name of this failed Economic Theory is?

You are living proof of just how bad our Public Education System has become.

The main reason for economic problems in Europe is the world wide recession, not EU economic policies.

The real reason is European Socialism continued to tax, spend and borrow ( Keynesian Economics ) which served to make the recession worse by increasing their National Debts.
Nanny states appear to be good until they run out of money.

Forum List

Back