how does president made speech could be heard by crowd, before electronic era?

96bram

Rookie
Mar 2, 2016
hi.At the current time, president would made a speech with microphone and loudspeaker so can boost his voice,that everybody present can hear his speech

but how about before electronic era? couple of time I seen photo of abraham lincoln speech for example.there's huge crowd.but electronic doesnt exist that time,let alone loudspeaker.
what did they use?

Speakers spoke very loudly in those days. Most of the time, they preferred indoor venues and outdoor venues were often held in amphitheater type areas where the sound could bounce. Lincoln had a particularly high-pitched voice which carried well. But yeah... they talked louder and slower.. almost like shouting. It was unheard of to make any kind of noise during a speech until it was complete... this is probably where applause became a thing.

From a technological standpoint... say you were attending an inauguration where there might be tens of thousands present... a spectator might use a contraption that looked like a horn in order to hear sounds from further distances.

d238ca3df765fd751a8d79bd4454f3de.jpg

Hearing Horn

Sometimes they would also use 'relay' speakers, spaced apart, for really large crowds, usually some delegation's Captain at rallies, or just local pols from the area. Most would just read it in the papers later.

lincolns-second-inaugural-pd.png

well how about this one. Its outdoor.sounds cant bounce. I cant see ppl use anything on their ear, nor anybody passing the speech..

lincolns-second-inaugural-pd.png

well how about this one. Its outdoor.sounds cant bounce. I cant see ppl use anything on their ear, nor anybody passing the speech..

Well those in the front and immediately around the speaker aren't going to be using the hearing horn. That would be people much further back in the crowd and not everyone had them, it was an option usually for the wealthy. The main thing is, the crowds gathered to hear a speech in those days were very respectfully silent when the speaker was speaking. If you go to such an event today, people are talking to each other, shuffling feet, making noise that they are oblivious to because we take this for granted now... back then, they didn't. People had to shut up and be quiet in order to hear the speech. Speakers learned, even went to school to study, how to speak loudly to audiences. There are ways to make your voice project.

I don't really understand why you're having trouble with this, I've tried to give you some answers to your question but now it seems like you want to argue with someone about it... do you have some kind of point you're trying to make?

hi.At the current time, president would made a speech with microphone and loudspeaker so can boost his voice,that everybody present can hear his speech

but how about before electronic era? couple of time I seen photo of abraham lincoln speech for example.there's huge crowd.but electronic doesnt exist that time,let alone loudspeaker.
what did they use?
People were actually polite enough to shut up and listen. I live in a rural area and I can listen to a conversation 400 feet away, sound can travel without our modern noises.

Find an area where there is no airplane or traffic noise or any of the electronic junk we associate with modern living and find a person who has a well developed speaking voice and you might find that it's pretty easy to address a large audience without electronic assistance.

I don't really understand why you're having trouble with this, I've tried to give you some answers to your question but now it seems like you want to argue with someone about it... do you have some kind of point you're trying to make?

Yes, it's just weird.

Well those in the front and immediately around the speaker aren't going to be using the hearing horn. That would be people much further back in the crowd and not everyone had them, it was an option usually for the wealthy. The main thing is, the crowds gathered to hear a speech in those days were very respectfully silent when the speaker was speaking. If you go to such an event today, people are talking to each other, shuffling feet, making noise that they are oblivious to because we take this for granted now... back then, they didn't. People had to shut up and be quiet in order to hear the speech. Speakers learned, even went to school to study, how to speak loudly to audiences. There are ways to make your voice project.

well,I dont really understand what's your problem friend. All what I do here is just finding an answer for my curiousity. previously you give a good answer.that people using horns,as well as they prefer Indoor things. And then I just ask more question for things unexplained before, about outdoor,wher many people didnt use horns. and You got good answer, that in case we got a good voice as well everybody is silent,then its not that hard to get the speech heard.just that lol.

thanks a lot for your info.I got a huge interest in history

Forum List

Back