How did Canada manage to get it right?

berg80

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2017
Canada succeeded on coronavirus where America failed. Why?

"Canada and the United States are, in many respects, similar countries. With the coronavirus outbreak, the two North American nations had comparable risk profiles, sharing (for example) similarly aged populations and similar distance from the earliest hot spots in Europe and East Asia.

Yet the outbreak has been dramatically worse in the United States than its northern neighbor.

Per capita, the United States has about twice as many confirmed coronavirus cases as Canada and about 30 percent more deaths. Canadian testing rates have been consistently higher, especially during the critical early stages of the North American outbreaks: In mid-March, the Canadian testing rate was roughly five times higher than the American one."
....................................................................................................................
In anticipation of Trumplehead idiocy--------deflection---------disparagement of the source-------- don't bother unless you can factually refute the reporting.
.............................................................................................................
"There are a number of factors that have enabled Canada to perform at a higher level than the United States, including more consistent pre-virus funding for public health agencies and a universal health care system. But one of the most important seems to have been a difference in political leadership."
.................................................................................................................
Why has Canadian leadership not spent wasted time on trying to find a scapegoat for their failure like Trump? Because they didn't fail.

1588618995267.png

*****CHUCKLE*****

:cool:

You know, when Trump did his travel ban with China, he must have known there was a possibility of the virus spreading to here.

The time for mobilizing companies for PPE and getting them to develop tests would have been back in Feb when he did the travel ban, not last Monday when he paraded the CEO's of companies he said were going to make the tests. That was almost 2 months too late.

Trump didn't act, then 2 months later acted.
that's how trump rolls, by his gut feeling.
Then RWI's here say he does listen to 'the experts'.

No he doesn't.

The RWI's wanted to point out H1N1 for months as an Obama failure, which it clearly wasn't,
NOW we don't hear that at ALL. Just things like last admin left the shelves bare. LOL.

"I take NO responsibility at ALL." djt

Trump didn't act, then 2 months later acted.
He was essentially forced in to acting by the severity of the outbreak. The reason he resisted taking the necessary actions early enough to make a difference is well understood. He didn't want the thing his campaign would be based on, the economy, to suffer the consequences of essential CDC protocols for social distancing.........................................so he made the damage worse by making believe the whole thing would magically go away.

There is a marked difference in the quality of leadership. Why is Germany doing better than the UK ? Same reason - leadership.

You know, when Trump did his travel ban with China, he must have known there was a possibility of the virus spreading to here.

The time for mobilizing companies for PPE and getting them to develop tests would have been back in Feb when he did the travel ban, not last Monday when he paraded the CEO's of companies he said were going to make the tests. That was almost 2 months too late.
There was no need to mobilize anything because it was just the Flu, a democrat hoax.

For Two months Trump could not praise China enough, then....
Jan 24
“China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!”

Jan 29
“And, honestly, I think, as tough as this negotiation was, I think our relationship with China now might be the best it's been in a long, long time. "

Feb 7
"I just spoke to President Xi last night, and, you know, we're working on the — the problem, the virus. It's a — it's a very tough situation. But I think he's going to handle it. I think he's handled it really well. We're helping wherever we can."

Feb 10
"I think China is very, you know, professionally run in the sense that they have everything under control," Trump said. "I really believe they are going to have it under control fairly soon. You know in April, supposedly, it dies with the hotter weather. And that's a beautiful date to look forward to. But China I can tell you is working very hard."

Either China totally pull the wool over his eyes or Trump is in very bad need of a scapegoat.

Last edited:
Didn't they ban Americans and pretty much just get drunk while staying home? And watching old hockey reruns?

Worse!! CURLING!!!

1. First and foremost, Trudeau and the Premiers took the warnings seriously. Ontario had a clear Pandemic Response Plan which they put in place after the Toronto SARS outbreak in 2002/03. This was enhanced during H1N1, and we have a national pandemic response unit.

2. The provinces gave full cooperation to the federal Liberal government, even though only 3 of Canada's 10 provinces and 3 territories have Liberal provincial governments. There was no partisanship in the response at all.

3. Universal health care - no copays, no extra-billing. No question this played a huge part in the willingness of Canadians to go for testing early and often. I hand them my photo ID OHIP card, the swipe it, and get a confirmation of my status on screen. They check my address, phone number and next of kin are correct, and we're done. I have never know a medical bill in my adult life. I complete no paperwork. This means that when we get sick, we get treated, right away.

4. We got the WHO tests and tested everyone coming into the country from overseas, and traced as long as possible. We didn't close any borders until we closed our border with you. Testing at ports of entry was relatively easy for all countries except the USA. We managed to retrieve our passengers from the Japanese cruise ship without creating an outbreak when they landed.

Closing the Canada/US border spiked our cases for the same reason that Trump's travel restrictions from China spiked yours. Trudeau told the Snowbirds to come home while they could and come home they did. They were told to self isolate for 14 days after they got home, and while many did, enough didn't that in no time, 20% of our cases tracked back to people who had recently travelled to the USA. That's when the tracking system got overwhelmed, and the virus got loose.

5. We ordered PPE's early and we ordered often. Trudeau signed a contract with Amazon to distribute our orders of PPE's to hospitals throughout Canada, so that for Canadian hospitals it was as simple as ordering off Amazon to get face shields, masks and gowns.

The shipment of masks from 3M that Trump tried to stop, was part of our third restocking. We bought PPE's to fully stock all hospitals in early January, and distributed tests to all airports and ports of entry, as soon as they became available. A second shipment to overstock hospitals came in February, to prepare for the onslaught, and the 3M masks were part of the restock. When Trump blocked the shipment, Trudeau said that talks were ongoing and he was confident it would be sorted soon. It took the weekend to sort it, and the shipment was released on Monday. Face shields came from Eddie Bauer, who make hockey masks.

4. When Trudeau announced stay at home, he announced EI plans to get workers paid, and promised employers who keep employees on the payroll with financial help in doing so, but said details would have to wait until the public health issue was under control, and we could better asses the situation for businesses. All laid off workers can get up to $2300 per month (55% of insurable earnings) from Employment Insurance. All businesses with more than 10 employees, can get assistance.

My neighbour only worked 2 days a week, but has been paid for a 40 hour week. They're up to 3 days a week starting this week.

5. I lived in Toronto when SARS hit. That was some scary shit, but we learned a lot from it and every lesson learned was applied this time.

I post a lot of shit about the Ford Brothers. Mayor Rob Ford, the worst joke of a politician in the free world until Donald Trump said "Hold my alcohol-free beer!!!" Doug Ford, Rob's dumber younger brother is currently our Premier. Dougie has managed to fuck up everything he has touched since he was elected, and his approval rating was hovering around 18% before this hit.

But Dougie has done an amazing job as Premier, in this pandemic. Not perfect, true, but that's an impossible standard. Canada's rate of death to closed cases is 13%. Ontario's rate of death to closed cases is below 10%. Ford even quietly settled the very unpopular teacher's strike during the March break so he could focus on the pandemic. And he lowered our electrical rates during peak hours so that everyone use power during the quarantine period at lower rates.

"Canada and the United States are, in many respects, similar countries. With the coronavirus outbreak, the two North American nations had comparable risk profiles, sharing (for example) similarly aged populations and similar distance from the earliest hot spots in Europe and East Asia.

Yet the outbreak has been dramatically worse in the United States than its northern neighbor.

Per capita, the United States has about twice as many confirmed coronavirus cases as Canada and about 30 percent more deaths. Canadian testing rates have been consistently higher, especially during the critical early stages of the North American outbreaks: In mid-March, the Canadian testing rate was roughly five times higher than the American one."
....................................................................................................................
In anticipation of Trumplehead idiocy--------deflection---------disparagement of the source-------- don't bother unless you can factually refute the reporting.
.............................................................................................................
"There are a number of factors that have enabled Canada to perform at a higher level than the United States, including more consistent pre-virus funding for public health agencies and a universal health care system. But one of the most important seems to have been a difference in political leadership."
.................................................................................................................
Why has Canadian leadership not spent wasted time on trying to find a scapegoat for their failure like Trump? Because they didn't fail.

canadas coronavirus numbers - Google Search

There was no need to mobilize anything because it was just the Flu, a democrat hoax.

Jan 24
“China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!”

Jan 29
“And, honestly, I think, as tough as this negotiation was, I think our relationship with China now might be the best it's been in a long, long time. "

Feb 7
"I just spoke to President Xi last night, and, you know, we're working on the — the problem, the virus. It's a — it's a very tough situation. But I think he's going to handle it. I think he's handled it really well. We're helping wherever we can."

Feb 10
"I think China is very, you know, professionally run in the sense that they have everything under control," Trump said. "I really believe they are going to have it under control fairly soon. You know in April, supposedly, it dies with the hotter weather. And that's a beautiful date to look forward to. But China I can tell you is working very hard."

Either China totally pull the wool over his eyes or Trump is in very bad need of a scapegoat.

Yeah..............I remember those days...............seems like just a couple of months ago. Trump was so busy saying that he had a "great" relationship with Xi.

But, like everything else in Trump land, nothing is forever. Now it seems that Trump is blaming Xi and China for developing the virus in a lab in Wuhan, and then letting it get out. Shoot................he's even got Pompeo saying the same damn crap.

Right? The U.S. has half the square miles and ten times the population. The U.S. supports almost half of Canada's sparse (37 million) population in undocumented illegal aliens.

Right? The U.S. has half the square miles and ten times the population. The U.S. supports almost half of Canada's sparse (37 million) population in undocumented illegal aliens.

The US has half the square miles, and ten times the population? Are you sure about that? Because I just used that newfangled Google thingie, and asked it what the square mileage of each country is. Here is what it said.............

Canada is 3.855 million square miles in size. The USA is 3.797, so while we are a little smaller than Canada, we aren't half their size.

Did the same Google thingie for population of both, and guess what?

Canada's population is 37.59 millon, and the USA's population is 382.2 million.

Before pulling "facts" outta your ass, use the Google thingie and find out what is true.

Jan 24

Jan 29

Feb 7

Feb 10

Yeah..............I remember those days...............seems like just a couple of months ago. Trump was so busy saying that he had a "great" relationship with Xi.

But, like everything else in Trump land, nothing is forever. Now it seems that Trump is blaming Xi and China for developing the virus in a lab in Wuhan, and then letting it get out. Shoot................he's even got Pompeo saying the same damn crap.
This is another Trump conspiracy theory, only one of many. What makes it believable at least to some people is it comes from the president and it's based on a grain of truth, the virus came from china. Trump takes that grain of truth and expands it to it came from a lab in china. It's an easy jump for his minions to conclude that it's a weapon and released by the government on their people in order to infect the world. It makes absolutely no sense but it doesn't have to because it's a conspiracy theory. This one will be around as long as Trump needs it. It will disappear within days after the election because it will have served it's purpose, providing Trump a scapegoat for his lack of management of the epidemic.

The US has half the square miles, and ten times the population? Are you sure about that? Because I just used that newfangled Google thingie, and asked it what the square mileage of each country is. Here is what it said.............

Canada is 3.855 million square miles in size. The USA is 3.797, so while we are a little smaller than Canada, we aren't half their size.

Did the same Google thingie for population of both, and guess what?

Canada's population is 37.59 millon, and the USA's population is 382.2 million.

Before pulling "facts" outta your ass, use the Google thingie and find out what is true.
I do believe he said the US has 10 times the population of Canada
What is ten times the population of 37 million?
and were you also including Alaska or just the lower 48 states?

we had a lot of people die with N1H1 and Canada had fewer did they do it better than Obama?

TDS thread 1,492.

And it's total bullshit.

Take the Northeast out of the equation and we are fine. So suck on that....asshole.

Forum List

Back