Zone1 How Big Is Your Book Collection?

How Big Is Your Book Collections?

• Total voters
I used to collect antique books...I have around a thousand books and I am going to donate them to those that would like to have a book. I myself mostly read non-fiction, sociology, physics, history, military, and economics...I do have fiction books but I have not read one since I read the book,"The Happy Hooker" in the 1970s.

A total of 94 here I had a lot more but had to donate about 70 of them before I moved from my last residence. It was not an easy thing for me it was a great collection.

A total of 94 here I had a lot more but had to donate about 70 of them before I moved from my last residence. It was not an easy thing for me it was a great collection.

I'm having the same problem with shirts as I try to organize my closet. A lot of good shirts I have no desire to lose. Sometimes it helps if you absolutely have to scrap stuff to shore up your life.

The picture in this article What to Do If Your House is Overflowing with Books got me wondering who has big book collections and what do they do with it? Even if you have a small book collection, tell us about it.

How big is your collection? What is your favorite books? What do you like to collect? Etc.
We have two bookcases, floor to ceiling about full, plus boxes in the attic, everything from novels, science, 70% of my college text books, and an Army field manual collection that would rival training rooms of some units I have command, and then on our Fire Tablets, the bill sometime approaches our old cable bill before we dumped Charter.

I used to have maybe 50 but I was more of a library sponge. Take out four or five books and return them for more within days. When it involves magazines I had hundreds. From X-Men, MAD and Cracked as a kid to GQ and bodybuilding/hea!th mags of al types as a young adult. Magazines became my pleasure reading between books. Biographies have been my favourite and non-fiction in general. In terms of .pdfs, I have to have north of 1000 mostly educational or war books (Machine Leanring, Math, Mandarin, WWII, Mao etc)

Last edited:
I had about 400 Civil War books, mostly research and reference. I decided I'd donate them to our local public library.....They said they did not want them.....WTF?

I sold them on facebook market place for a hefty chunk of change in two days. Many were rare or signed first editions.

I picked up about two hundred from a collection some old guy had about thirty five years ago; mostly pre-1900 but some up to about 1920. Grew from there. I read them over the years and added about 800 to them. I have no idea of any "value" but jolly good reads.

And yes; I have read nearly all of them. 19th Century fiction is OK.

Greg

I had about 400 Civil War books, mostly research and reference. I decided I'd donate them to our local public library.....They said they did not want them.....WTF?

I sold them on facebook market place for a hefty chunk of change in two days. Many were rare or signed first editions.
If libraries didn't turn people away, they'd have to build skyscrapers to house all the books. You should've sent out some feelers to Civil War museums.

I picked up about two hundred from a collection some old guy had about thirty five years ago; mostly pre-1900 but some up to about 1920. Grew from there. I read them over the years and added about 800 to them. I have no idea of any "value" but jolly good reads.

And yes; I have read nearly all of them. 19th Century fiction is OK.

Greg
I sometimes wonder if there are old books out there that we don't know about because they're not en vogue.

I've probably read at least 300 books on the Civil War and WWII, as well as a couple hundred more on various historical people and events, there is a used bookstore here in town that I have donated around 200-300 books and have gotten partial credit towards future purchases, so I can buy all my books there for half price. I have about 75 on hand now, and these are all of my favorites, I won't part with them and I can reread all of them, some I already have.

The picture in this article What to Do If Your House is Overflowing with Books got me wondering who has big book collections and what do they do with it? Even if you have a small book collection, tell us about it.

How big is your collection? What is your favorite books? What do you like to collect? Etc.

I dont keep books anymore. I do however keep some books that are educational.
The Wife and I used to trade em in every month or so for new ones at a bookstore.
They were all over the house so we eventually turned them all into the bookstore. If I had to guess I'd say they owe us around a thousand books by now.
We've gone to E readers for there ease of use.
I started reading heavily when I was about Ten years old and read on average two books a week at minimum.
Going by the two books a week which is a bit short over the long haul I've read well over 5000 thousand books in my life time.
If I could I'd love to have everyone of them back but thats not gonna happen.

I used to collect antique books...I have around a thousand books and I am going to donate them to those that would like to have a book. I myself mostly read non-fiction, sociology, physics, history, military, and economics...I do have fiction books but I have not read one since I read the book,"The Happy Hooker" in the 1970s.
Hi Moonglow, we have a lot in common. I also have at least a thousand books. Nearly all of them non fiction, and some of them rare antiquarian books. The fiction books I do have are classics like Orwell's 1984 and Huxley's ' brave new world, and Herman Hesse 'Siddhartha.'

The antiquarian books I have include the 3 volume 1632 edition of John Foxes book of martyrs. I have a bookcase devoted to psychology and philosophy, and another devoted to religions. Then there are several book cases full of large sized art books. My front room is wall to wall bookcases, and I have another bookcase in my bedroom with over a hundred of my favorite books.

Bigger than yours. I just had to throw out a 1st edition translation of some controversial Russian book because it was missing a chapter

and a half.

It was pre-1950, I know that.

I like that book by Leon Skousen, and the ones by Samuel Langhorn Clemens.

I just found a book called "Rebecca" and it's signed by the author. Some French name.

Also one called "Through the Shadowlands", and I think I'll read it tomorrow.

I never knew about that one. I like that guy's stuff.

How big is your collection?

If I collected all the books I've read I would have a library. Fortunately for me there are already libraries.

What is your favorite books?

What are your favorite books. Sorry, I'm not usually a King's English Nazi but we are talking about books now.

What do you like to collect?

Tools. Are things one uses a collection or are they just, tools? I guess I collect tools but then I don't put them on a display shelve that I have to dust. If my tools collected dust then maybe they would be a collection. Of dust.

Well over 3,000. I just donated 800 to the Friends of the library down in Carson city.

About 1000 are firearms reference books, a 1000 are military history, 500 or so are aviation related, and 500 are science, geology, and a few novels.

Forum List

Back