How are Californians so stupid? Hundreds missing in wildfires.

California fires: At least 23 dead as hundreds reported missing - CNN

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.

The officials who run the emergency alert system declined to broadcast an alert as they were afraid it would cause a panic. Thus when the fires got to the neighborhoods it was mainly neighbors waking neighbors. Add to that the fact that the fire was blitzing along at 100 yards a second and it is easy to see why there are so many who were killed.

I'm more afraid of fire than almost anything. Give me an earthquake any day.

Once I knew my family was safe, earthquakes were the best...

The whole world has been watching these fires for DAYS. How can you not know it's time to GET THE FUCK OUT when you're only miles from the fires. Meanwhile I'm sitting in the heartland and even I know if you're near that shit it's time to go.

I don't mean to seem insensitive but WTF??? These deaths are just mind bogglingly senseless to me.
Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.

Q Bodey: Do they make fire cuts in the forest in CA?

I find it incredibly hard to believe fire jumps miles. Seriously.

Have you ever seen a Santa Ana wind driven firestorm? If not, you really don't know how fast they move. Plus, they jump....sometimes miles.
I have heard. I'm not a Californian and I would know to leave.

When we get tornadoes in our area I always send my pets & grandkids to the basement even if it is miles away. I don't need to see it across the street to know the danger it poses & how unpredictable it can be.
So....the equivalent would be to have the entire state of Florida evacuate when the hurricanes were coming.....they didn't even do that for Irma.
Why do people need to be told to evacuate? You can assess the danger and make a wise decision on your own no?

I don't ever fuck around. If I believe there's danger I'll run like a scalded dog. With a dog under each armpit if need be.. But many don't know just how wicked it can get in a very short amount of time.

One would think, but with winds and certain terrains some fires would outrun a NASCAR. They can be burning merrily along one direction and switch on a dime. Embers can travel and settle miles away to start a fire no one is even aware of immediately.
Our last year in northern Cali we had a fire about ten miles out, heading away from us. I plopped my 250 pounds of dogs, our bug out bag and my brother in my truck and we were off. But getting in the truck we could see the flames just down our street, engulfing the tall pines. It had went into a dry creek bed that accelerated it to frightening speeds.

Too many underestimate fire and don't understand how it works.
I would think Californians would have a unique insight into the danger wildfires represent just as people in tornadoe alley do with tornadoes.

You'd think. But though it may seem like it has all been on fire st one time or another, millions haven't experienced fire like this and don't have a clue. If I hadn't seen it myself, I doubt I'd believe how quick and quirky they are.

Now we're in MO so we're working on a tornado shelter. Wherever we live, there's always a bug out back for emergencies

Last edited:
Cali gives illegals all kinds fo free shit and cant give out free fire alarms? Even the inbred redneck rube state like TN does that.
Sad
I dunno about all of that but you don't need an alarm to know about the fire that the whole world is watching on tv. It's visible for miles. How can you not know to leave???

it seems to me that lots of illegals are between a rock and a hard place. They may not have a place to which to run. They may be afraid of ending up in public shelters and thence
into the hands of the INS
I don't think it's illegals dying but either way self preservation exceeds everything. You don't need "somewhere to go"...

Go the opposite way of the fire!

Problem is, you don't know where the opposite way is. Lighten up Grampa.
I'm not trying to be an ass. I truly don't get it.
In winter I have preparations in my trucks in case of emergency while out in the cold.
In spring I have stored water food & batteries in case of electrical outages from our usual spring storms.
And when bad weather with tornadoes or microbursts is in the area I am glued to the radar determined to see if it is headed our way.

Naturally if I lived in an area prone to hurricanes or wildfires or avalanches or whatever I would likewise be prepared.
I just don't understand it

The fires began at night when most people were asleep. At the speed that they advanced there was no way they could get out thanks to the officials deciding not to send out a general warning.

The officials who run the emergency alert system declined to broadcast an alert as they were afraid it would cause a panic. Thus when the fires got to the neighborhoods it was mainly neighbors waking neighbors. Add to that the fact that the fire was blitzing along at 100 yards a second and it is easy to see why there are so many who were killed.

I was in the one down by LA in '71.
We lived in an apt built on a hill. When I first woke up I thought the building had somehow come loose and we were going down the hill. I never got a chance to get up because here comes my mom with my little brother who she haphazardly flung at me and then came rushing back like a kamikaze and threw a mattress on us.

One would think, but with winds and certain terrains some fires would outrun a NASCAR. They can be burning merrily along one direction and switch on a dime. Embers can travel and settle miles away to start a fire no one is even aware of immediately.
Our last year in northern Cali we had a fire about ten miles out, heading away from us. I plopped my 250 pounds of dogs, our bug out bag and my brother in my truck and we were off. But getting in the truck we could see the flames just down our street, engulfing the tall pines. It had went into a dry creek bed that accelerated it to frightening speeds.

I would think Californians would have a unique insight into the danger wildfires represent just as people in tornadoe alley do with tornadoes.

You'd think. But though it may seem like it has all been on fire st one time or another, millions haven't experienced fire like this and don't have a clue. If I hadn't seen it myself, I doubt I'd believe how quick and quirky they are.

Now we're in MO so we're working on a tornado shelter. Wherever we live, there's always a bug out back for emergencies
No basement?

We lived in an apt built on a hill. When I first woke up I thought the building had somehow come loose and we were going down the hill. I never got a chance to get up because here comes my mom with my little brother who she haphazardly flung at me and then came rushing back like a kamikaze and threw a mattress on us.

'71 was Sylmar...

I lived in the Ventura County / San Fernando Valley areas for more than 30 years. Was on top of the epicenter for the '94 Northridge quake... Had to buy new dishes... All of them... And move...

'71 was Sylmar...

I lived in the Ventura County / San Fernando Valley areas for more than 30 years. Was on top of the epicenter for the '94 Northridge quake... Had to buy new dishes... All of them... And move...

Mom loved the sales after. Shelf after shelf of damaged can goods and such for dirt cheap.

No basement?

Unfortunately no... not here.

Seriously Gramps- either find out about the situation yourself or fuckoff.

As someone who is very familiar with the area- and the situation- we are talking a fire starting at midnight- and wind whipping it through 16 miles of mountains in a couple of hours- I have friends who got out of their house with flames all around them- no warning from anyone- the fire hadn't even started 16 miles away when they went to bed. They lost everything but their cars and the clothes they were wearing- but they made it out. At least 4 of the dead come from the same area they cleared out from as the fire storm hit. They watched a gas station exploding on the way out.

Among the other dead include an elderly couple 100, and 90 something- who just were to frail to get out in time. A young woman in a wheel chair who couldn't get out of her apartment by herself- and her father who tried to get to her was found unconscious with severe burns.

This thing hit fast, with no warning, and hard. Most of the dead are going to be people who didn't know about the fire until they woke up with smoked filled homes or who were physically unable to escape.

The police and fire crews the first 24 hours spent most of their time just getting people out of the path of the fire- and oh by the way- the fire kept jumping to new areas.

You don't know shit about what is going on up there- there has never been a fire like this in the Sonoma/Napa area- a wildfire that burst into urban areas with no warning.

Get your head out of your ass before you post.

This wasn't a Santa Ana but it was similar- winds up to 70 and 80 miles per hour. The places that burnt out in the early Monday morning hours had virtually no warning- if they were lucky a neighbor pounded on their door, or a Sheriff drove down their street blaring to everyone to get out
NOW.

What is happening now is that the fires are all over the place- and new areas are getting evacuation orders in advance because authorities don't want more people getting caught- or in the way of fire fighters trying to contain this fire.

It is huge. Smoke is dense 100 miles away from the fire. I have never seen anything like this.

You're asking a bunch of people who chronically reelect Jerry Brown and Nancy Pelosi why they haven't enough sense to get out from acres and acres of fire?

You mean the people who weren't able to predict a fire starting in the middle of the night and moving 16 miles to burn up their homes?

Yeah- those people have no sense.......

Embers can travel for miles which could be how a fire can 'jump.' The National Forest Service has a 'let it burn' mandate for BLM land and increasingly do not allow forest clean-ups. On my own property I made a firebreak around the perimeter and keep down the fuel.

A woman was on television talking about her mother. Her mom had called to say that she had tried to get out but the flames were everywhere. Then the phone went dead. The woman's burned body was found in the ashes of her home.

The Oakland Firestorm caught a lot of people by surprise. There must be greater awareness of the dangers in Southern California where the terrain and settlements are very different.

Oakland firestorm of 1991 - Wikipedia

I have heard. I'm not a Californian and I would know to leave.

When we get tornadoes in our area I always send my pets & grandkids to the basement even if it is miles away. I don't need to see it across the street to know the danger it poses & how unpredictable it can be.
So....the equivalent would be to have the entire state of Florida evacuate when the hurricanes were coming.....they didn't even do that for Irma.
Why do people need to be told to evacuate? You can assess the danger and make a wise decision on your own no?

Why do you expect sleeping people to know of a fire that didn't even exist when they went to bed?

Embers can travel for miles which could be how a fire can 'jump.' The National Forest Service has a 'let it burn' mandate for BLM land and increasingly do not allow forest clean-ups. On my own property I made a firebreak around the perimeter and keep down the fuel.

In other words: No firecuts.

That area of the state usually sees fog the entire year and especially at this time of year. Warm blowing wind is probably something that would also not be expected now.

'71 was Sylmar...

I was staying with a friend when the Northridge quake hit. I woke up in midair.

I think it is well known that fire danger is a price you pay for living in wooded areas. Although, that may be the people that actually live on the mountain.

Forum List

Back