How about a flat 10% income tax?

ihopehefails

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2009
How about a flat 10% income tax with a SINGLE DEDUCTION of $85,000? This way it is not complicated and the vary poorest don't have to pay them.

How about a flat 10% income tax with a SINGLE DEDUCTION of $85,000? This way it is not complicated and the vary poorest don't have to pay them.

How about just eliminating the federal individual income tax altogether?

The income tax started out that way, but politicians started jimmying it to reward or punish certain behaviors and favored/unfavored constituencies.

We're better off with no tax on incomes and the feds controlling their spending instead.

I am all for an equal burden flat % tax on every dollar earned by every US citizen...

But it must be coupled with regulations that eliminate the ability of the government to run in a deficit unless of emergency... AKA reducing government entitlement spending

We need a steeply progressive income tax with a maximum rate of over 90%. We also should consider taxing income from different sources at different rates. Those who perform vital services wouldn't pay as much as those who don't.

We need a steeply progressive income tax with a maximum rate of over 90%. We also should consider taxing income from different sources at different rates. Those who perform vital services wouldn't pay as much as those who don't.

And another left winger shows the support of selective equality... only true equality when it benefits them, punishment systems to make treatment unequal to ensure all else benefits them

What we need is euqal protection and treatment under government and under the law.... not some Robin Hood inspired system

And another left winger shows the support of selective equality... only true equality when it benefits them, punishment systems to make treatment unequal to ensure all else benefits them

What we need is euqal protection and treatment under government and under the law.... not some Robin Hood inspired system

Progressive income taxes equalize the burden of taxation. Flat rates don't.

I'd agree with a flat tax if it taxes EVERY DOLLAR. No deductions, no deferrals, no write-offs
Make the rich pay taxes on all their income and they will scream to return to the old tax code

We NEED that, eh? :cuckoo:

Wrong.

What we NEED is very much the antithesis of that nonsense.

To the extent that a flat tax is "regressive" (i.e., a couple earning 100,000/year can afford to be taxed 10,000 much less than a couple earning 1,000,000 /yr can afford to be taxed 100,000), I could even get behind a SLIGHT progressive slope in the tax rate.

It would be better, however, to consider a simple flat rate national sales-type-tax. IF I earn 100,000 and SPEND say 75,000 I am taxed on that 75,000 only. No taxation of savings.

IF the couple earning a lot more than I earn spends a lot more, then they get taxed more to the extent they spend more.

You know what? If the truth is ever going to get told, the truth is that this whole thing has become FAR too complicated because of competing "social" theories.

Fuck that. Taxation is just paying the government to conduct the people's business. What we need to control is spending. It is nothing less than outrageous, alarming and ridiculously dangerous to have massive debt -- especially all those unfunded mandates. We need to compel the damn government to cut it out. And it is simple.

The hard part is finding the political will among the people to force it down the reluctant throats of our elected officials.

Last edited:

The problem with it is, it won't work...our government won't get enough money so they'll find other ways and other things to tax that will hurt the low income and middle income families the most.

The problem with it is, it won't work...our government won't get enough money so they'll find other ways and other things to tax that will hurt the low income and middle income families the most.

The national sales tax idea cannot work for that reason UNLESS it is conditioned upon (and made to go into effect only upon the effective date after the passage of) a Constitutional Amendment banning the income tax (again).

We NEED that, eh?

Yes.

Tax policy has to be equitable. No one can be taxed at a rate which places more burden on him than on anyone else. Flat taxes and sales taxes both place more burden on the poor than the rich.

Progressive income taxes equalize the burden of taxation. Flat rates don't.

WRONG

You are looking to equalize the outcome... not equal % burden on every dollar earned.... you are looking for some to pay more of a share than others... you are indeed looking for selective equality... I.E. only equality when it benefits you, punishment systems in all other aspects so the situation benefits you

No.. I'll take equality... knowing there are personal positives AND negatives with actual equality...

We NEED that, eh?

Yes.

Tax policy has to be equitable. No one can be taxed at a rate which places more burden on him than on anyone else. Flat taxes and sales taxes both place more burden on the poor than the rich.

No. Tax policy does NOT have to be "equitable" in the silly way YOU define it.

Perfection not required.

If I make 10 times more than you, and I pay ten times the amount of taxes, that is another definition of "equitable."

And the sales tax is not only a vastly superior idea in terms of the ability of people to calculate true costs (and in terms of societal efficiencies), it is also equitable in the sense that if I spend a lot more, I PAY a lot more in taxes. Simplicity.

Your 90% tax rate figure is facially retarded, either way.

Yes.

No. Tax policy does NOT have to be "equitable" in the silly way YOU define it.

Perfection not required.

If I make 10 times more than you, and I pay ten times the amount of taxes, that is another definition of "equitable."

And the sales tax is not only a vastly superior idea in terms of the ability of people to calculate true costs (and in terms of societal efficiencies), it is also equitable in the sense that if I spend a lot more, I PAY a lot more in taxes. Simplicity.

Your 90% tax rate figure is facially retarded, either way.

Equity is one of the primary goals of policy formation. Progressive income taxes are fundamentally equitable because the burden of taxation is laid more heavily on those who can bear it.

Sales and flat tax schemes, while they may tax everyone at the equal rates, unfairly spread the burden of taxation. The poor who pays 100 in sales taxes on the things he buys feels the burden much more than does the rich man who buys the same things and pays the same tax. The poor man's $100 is a much bigger part of his resources than it is of the rich man's.

No moral nation can impose flat or sales taxes on its citizens.

Forum List

Back