How about a flat 10% income tax?

God only asks for 10%. I dont see why the government should get more.

Your religious views have no bearing on this decision.

If you havent noticed, none of our views have bearing on this decision. None of us are in a position to decide.

But if you think its reasonable for the governmenet to take 4-6 months of your salary, then you are insane.

Personally I would favor ANYTHING that made taxes simpler.
The issue with national sales tax (VAT) is that the incentive to cheat is enormous. So you would replace one huge bureaucracy with another to enforce it.
I would start with eliminating deductions in return for lower rates across the board. Among them:
Mortgage deduction
Health insurance costs deductible by employers
CHaritable deductions
And there are many more.
I would make everyone over 18 pay a minimum tax, like $25 because "no representation without taxation"

If 40% of the country finds income tax too burdensome to pay, what does that say about it? A system where the top 20% pay 80% of the total is not equitable in any sense.

"Basic gubmint" as defined how?
Basic government
1) Pay off the national debt
Plus
Conduct a Census every 10 years as mandated by the constitution.
Hold federal elections
Pay (modest - as in line with other skilled worker) salaries to elected federal officials
Maintain Federal Highways
Run the Post Office (mandated by the constitution - though that might be solved by taking it from congress and returning it to executive office control )
Defend our borders from military invasion

Whatever else is along these lines which I forgot

Unfortunately NASA is beyond a minimal government, but the budget for NASA is tiny (as federal programs go) and could probably be kept if all the other excesses were eliminated.

But not at 10% of incomes over 85k

God only asks for 10%. I dont see why the government should get more.

If you havent noticed, none of our views have bearing on this decision. None of us are in a position to decide.

But if you think its reasonable for the governmenet to take 4-6 months of your salary, then you are insane.

No country that currently has a flat tax system has a 10% tax.

they usually have one arround 25%.

There will never be a 10% flat tax because it is unworkable.

The tax isn't unworkable

The spending is unsustainable.

Your fantasys are not reality.

Dont expect thinking people to join you in your fantasy land.

I disagree. the only reason you think it's unworkable is because you want the government to be massive and refuse to deal with the corruption inherent in the current system.

But if we followed the Constitution and didnt add all these pet projects, we would have a much cleaner system and expenses would be considerably less.

I would also like to see the various departments stop with the "we have to spend every cent we are given" mentality. We need to create some sort of incentive to produce cost efficient government.

Your fantasys are not reality.

Dont expect thinking people to join you in your fantasy land.

TM, the only fantasy we are dealing with is the idea that we can borrow Trillions of dollars and spend money we dont have indefinitely.

We need to see some serious spending reform soon or the Chinese will be collecting our debt with our blood.

Then quit whining about paying taxes and belly up and pay for the wars you cheered on.

Then quit whining about paying taxes and belly up and pay for the wars you cheered on.

War is one of the few legitimate activities our federal government controls. Defense spending is not bad. Unconstitutional spending and wasteful spending is.

You aren't talking to me because I never cheered for any war. yet I still think government takes too much of our money.

That must be real confusing for you

What do you claim is unconstitutional spending?

Spending for anything not expressly granted by the Constitution of the United States. In case you don't know, the Constitution is the highest law of our land and gives the Federal government it's power. Any power that isnt given the Federal government is retained by the States and the People.

There is alot of spending that is authorized.

How about a flat 10% income tax with a SINGLE DEDUCTION of $85,000? This way it is not complicated and the vary poorest don't have to pay them.
Well the Russians use a flat tax set at 17% last I heard almost no deductions.

That said I'd say 10% of ALL income from any form with no auto withholding. That means income from investments/trusts and other forms of monetary shelters are included.

Those that made less than $20k (adjusted for inflation and COLI) would be exempt

75% of all charitable deductions
100% health care costs incurred in a year

I would also move tax day to election day. Taxes payable at the polls. (be nice if you could bar voters who have not filed for an extension or paid their tax.)

And with no auto-withholding, you end the interest free loan to government every individual is forced to give, plus ease paperwork on businesses who are forced to collect it saving lots of business expense.

The tax form is simple for everyone. Calculate your total earnings in a year, subtract off your charitable givings and health care costs and boom, that's the check you write, and hand in on election day. Just to make sure you remember who's fucking you over at the ballot box.

Spending for anything not expressly granted by the Constitution of the United States. In case you don't know, the Constitution is the highest law of our land and gives the Federal government it's power. Any power that isnt given the Federal government is retained by the States and the People.

Pretty much every executive branch cabinet position made after 1951 is unconstitutional. Large chunks of the DHS should be folded back into the DoJ and DoD and DoTreas.

But the DoEnergy, NASA, EPA, DoEducation, HUD, HHS, and about 10 others are unconstitutionally usurped powers from the violation of the 10th amendment and doctrine of checks and balances and separation of powers.

NAME them, that was my question and you know it.

Anything that does not fall under the specific and enumerated powers of the US Constitution by the federal government violates this and is the domain of the states.

The tax isn't unworkable

The spending is unsustainable.

Now someone with a brain speaks! Yes! :clap2:

LOL, ahh that old stupid argument, to which would one could say then why don't YOU belly up and pay for all the stupid entitlements you continually cheer on..... You and your ilk are the ones that want them, you just don't want to pay for them.

Freakin' Hypocrit.

Forum List

Back