House votes to end military support for Saudi-backed war in Yemen

McRocket

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2018
'The House overwhelmingly approved legislation Wednesday that would force the Trump administration to withdraw U.S. military support for the Saudi-led war in Yemen.

Why it matters: The bill, which passed 248-177 and now heads to the Senate, is a rebuke of President Trump's foreign policy amid broader pushback over his defense of Saudi Arabia, whose role in the conflict has been under heightened scrutiny since the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. The Senate passed a parallel resolution 56-41 in December, but a blocked vote by House Republicans prevented it from ever reaching the floor of the House.

• Trump said in December he would veto the Senate resolution if it ever reached his desk. It was the first time the Senate had ever used congressional authority handed to it in the War Powers Act of 1973.'

Fantastic!!!

What the fuck is America giving money to yet another war that is NONE of her business?

(and to neocons, the question was rhetorical - I do not care what your pathetic excuse is for America to get involved in yet another war that brings us nothing but misery and lost monies/lives.)

If Trump vetoes this then it seriously puts his 'America First' campaign promise in jeopardy.

'The House overwhelmingly approved legislation Wednesday that would force the Trump administration to withdraw U.S. military support for the Saudi-led war in Yemen.

Why it matters: The bill, which passed 248-177 and now heads to the Senate, is a rebuke of President Trump's foreign policy amid broader pushback over his defense of Saudi Arabia, whose role in the conflict has been under heightened scrutiny since the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. The Senate passed a parallel resolution 56-41 in December, but a blocked vote by House Republicans prevented it from ever reaching the floor of the House.

• Trump said in December he would veto the Senate resolution if it ever reached his desk. It was the first time the Senate had ever used congressional authority handed to it in the War Powers Act of 1973.'

Fantastic!!!

What the fuck is America giving money to yet another war that is NONE of her business?

(and to neocons, the question was rhetorical - I do not care what your pathetic excuse is for America to get involved in yet another war that brings us nothing but misery and lost monies/lives.)

If Trump vetoes this then it seriously puts his 'America First' campaign promise in jeopardy.

Good! Trump wouldn't veto that. It hasn't cleared the Senate yet, though.

What does it mean to "withdraw support"? Does that mean that we stop selling arms to the Saudis?

Frankly, I'm probably on the side of distancing ourselves from the Saudis. They are as evil and corrupt as any regime that has ever existed.

Anyway, I'm not sure that what happens in Yemen is going to significantly affect us one way or the other. Of course, many probably said the same about Afghanistan prior to the September, 2001 attacks.

We should pull all of our people out of the Middle East.

Let them kill each other and blow the hell out of their shitholes.

More than works for me.

Forum List

Back