House Overwhelmingly OK's Sandy Relief Over Wingnut Objections

Pork passes again

This has got to stop

I don't think THIS version had the pork attached.

Its barebones, just to cover some inital costs.

As far as my opinion of it (disclaimer I am from NYC but suffered no damage except 17 days without cable TV or internet) I can see this as acceptable even from a fiscally conservative/federalist point of view. If you think of it as a form of insurance and cost control, as one area has issues related to disasters, the other areas of the country can pitch in to distribute the cost. Sooner or later the other regions would need the same help, and get help in return.

What had to go was the unrelated items that are added in as goodies. What we need is to ressurect the amendment providing for a line item veto. Hell I would take that even with Obama in the white house now, for the savings it would help later on.

As a fiscal Conservative, I have no beef about helping the victims of Hurricane Sandy. Sandy victims, not Alaska, not Washington, not NASA.

Pork passes again

This has got to stop

As far as my opinion of it (disclaimer I am from NYC but suffered no damage except 17 days without cable TV or internet) I can see this as acceptable even from a fiscally conservative/federalist point of view. If you think of it as a form of insurance and cost control, as one area has issues related to disasters, the other areas of the country can pitch in to distribute the cost. Sooner or later the other regions would need the same help, and get help in return.

What had to go was the unrelated items that are added in as goodies. What we need is to ressurect the amendment providing for a line item veto. Hell I would take that even with Obama in the white house now, for the savings it would help later on.

"Later, closed-door meetings between House Republicans from the Northeast and Boehner and Majority Leader Eric Cantor got the aid package back on track with Friday's vote on flood insurance and a promise to address the rest in coming weeks.

But Ellis said that tempers may flare anew when Congress debates the next portion, including the question of unrelated storm expenses."

As a fiscal Conservative, I have no beef about helping the victims of Hurricane Sandy. Sandy victims, not Alaska, not Washington, not NASA.

^^^^^

:eusa_clap:

A pork-barrel feast of goodies for federal agencies to fix museum roofs in D.C. and aid fisheries in Alaska, cooked up in the middle of the night, is not the way to aid hurricane victims or run a government.

That's what I thought - you don't know what was in this bill.
This bill provided $9.7 billion for FEMA flood insurance payouts.

Again .... show me the pork in THIS bill.

A pork-barrel feast of goodies for federal agencies to fix museum roofs in D.C. and aid fisheries in Alaska, cooked up in the middle of the night, is not the way to aid hurricane victims or run a government.

Right here Senate’s Hurricane Sandy relief plan | Jamie Dupree Washington Insider

Too bad you're such a blind party man hack that accepting the facts is beyond you.

Later, closed-door meetings between House Republicans from the Northeast and Boehner and Majority Leader Eric Cantor got the aid package back on track with Friday's vote on flood insurance and a promise to address the rest in coming weeks.

But Ellis said that tempers may flare anew when Congress debates the next portion, including the question of unrelated storm expenses.

Do you have a point other than the likely one on the top of your head? The reference you quoted was to the original bill which has been explained to you 10 times!!!

You must need a seeing-eye dog to keep up here.

Last edited:
That enough pork for you, nodog?

Or do you think "$8 million to buy cars and equipment for the Homeland Security and Justice departments, $150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to dole out to fisheries in Alaska and $2 million for the Smithsonian Institution to repair museum roofs in Washington, D.C." are VITAL to Sandy relief?
It's been clear for quite some time that he has numerous dogs in the fight. :lol:

And they're losing.

129207223008103637.jpg

The House approved the first $9.7 billion in Sandy aid by a surprising 354-67 margin in spite of calls to reject the bill by Club for Growth.

Is the radical right losing it's hold? Does this signal the return of the moderate Republican?

I sure hope so. Solving the problems we are facing is going to be hard enough without the radical fringe from the far right or the far left making things even more difficult.

full story:

Scaled-back Sandy aid bill nears final approval - CNN.com

damn, if people don't walk in lockstep for you you friggen throw a hissy fit.
the damn thing got passed so what's your bitch now?

Pork passes again

This has got to stop

in fact THIS bill only includes the FEMA flood insurance funding.

The remaining $51 Billion in the bill that Boehner pulled off the calendar Tuesday night didn't include the goofy pork either.

Was it stupid and dangerous for the Senate to include this non-Sandy spending in a Sandy relief bill - darn straight. They carelessly jeopardized real relief efforts in doing it.

But the House can always pass their own version without the pork.

back off unless you know the deal.

The original bill that Boehner refused to put on the table was the one that was laden with pork. He made it clear he would not allow a vote on any bill for Sandy with pork in it.
SO a bill was put together YESTERDAY that had no pork and a mere 9 billion strictly for Sandy flood insurance victims...those with flood insurance who are waiting for the payouts that are guaranteed by the government.

The balance of another 50 billion is in another bill that is slated for a debate and vote on 1-15-13...and that is the one that has all of the pork.

To your original post....the original bill had all the pork...UNTIL YESTERDAY.

Got it Mr. "I am not partisan and square in the middle"?

Pork passes again

This has got to stop

in fact THIS bill only includes the FEMA flood insurance funding.

The remaining $51 Billion in the bill that Boehner pulled off the calendar Tuesday night didn't include the goofy pork either.

Was it stupid and dangerous for the Senate to include this non-Sandy spending in a Sandy relief bill - darn straight. They carelessly jeopardized real relief efforts in doing it.

But the House can always pass their own version without the pork.

that is outright untrue.

The original bill had all the pork and Boehner pulled it off the table.

Conservative groups, such as the Club for Growth, urged House members to oppose Friday's scaled-back bill that included more than $9 billion to help the government pay flood insurance claims.

Congress approved a $9.7 billion Superstorm Sandy aid package on Friday following delays over fiscal cliff bickering, warnings of dwindling federal funds and swirling controversy over millions of dollars for unrelated projects.

Congress approves scaled-back Sandy aid bill - CNN.com

Oh look pickled-olive-oholic, in print.

The House approved the first $9.7 billion in Sandy aid by a surprising 354-67 margin in spite of calls to reject the bill by Club for Growth.

Is the radical right losing it's hold? Does this signal the return of the moderate Republican?

I sure hope so. Solving the problems we are facing is going to be hard enough without the radical fringe from the far right or the far left making things even more difficult.

full story:

So... anyone that's for fiscal sanity to you is a "wingnut?"

Moron.

full story:

Moron.

Not at all - I crave fiscal responsibility. I've voted for Republicans who failed to deliver it and I've voted for Democrats who have failed to deliver it.

The one thing I'm absolutely not willing to try is a wingnut.

full story:

Moron.

Not at all - I crave fiscal responsibility. I've voted for Republicans who failed to deliever it and I've voted for Democrats who have failed to deliever it.

The one thiong I'm absolutely not willing to try is a wingnut.
"Wingnut" as defined as someone who actually wants to act in a fiscally responsible way and cut spending. :lol:

Moron.

Not at all - I crave fiscal responsibility. I've voted for Republicans who failed to deliever it and I've voted for Democrats who have failed to deliever it.

The one thiong I'm absolutely not willing to try is a wingnut.
"Wingnut" as defined as someone who actually wants to act in a fiscally responsible way and cut spending. :lol:

I don't agree with your definition. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Izzatright?

From everything I've seen you post, you're good with acting in a fiscally responsible way, cutting spending and pork, right up to the point that a concrete proposal is on the table...The those floating the proposal are suddenly "wingnuts".

Izzatright?

From everything I've seen you post, you're good with acting in a fiscally responsible way, cutting spending and pork, right up to the point that a concrete proposal is on the table...The those floating the proposal are suddenly "wingnuts".

Really? Is THAT what I've done?
Can you point me to that?

Or better yet, gimme your concrete proposal.

(Mine is - and has been - 5% across the board - no sacred cows. And then we can work from there to see where else we can cut.)

Glad they cut the pork out of the bill. I had no doubt that it would pass once they did. Though constitutionaly, there is still no authorization for them to provide "charity" with tax payer dollars.

They are very generous with the tax payers money. They should be giving their own money and encouraging others to provide charity for the victims. At one point the American people understood that. I long for the day when they once again do

full story:

why did dems spend 1/3 of the relief funds on pork and pet projects that had nothing to do with the disaster ??

Forum List

Back