House in play?

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Meet The 37 House Republicans Who Could Lose Their Jobs For Shutting Down The Government

Fifty-four percent of Americans now oppose Republican control of the House, according to a CNN-ORC poll released on Monday. And a series of polls commissioned by progressive advocacy group Moveon.org and conducted by Public Policy Polling released in batches over the last several days indicate Democrats may have enough momentum to take back the House.

Democrats only need to lock up 17 additional seats in the November 2014 midterm elections to secure a House majority. The new polls show the recent government shutdown may cause as many as 37 Republicans to lose their House seats next year.

PPP pollsters surveyed 61 Republican-held congressional districts around the country from Oct. 1 through Oct. 18. They concluded that “Democrats not only have an opportunity to take back the House of Representatives next year, but that they could win a sizable majority if voter anger over the shutdown carries into 2014."

I think that at present, Silver is probably right, and this will not happen. However, in January, should Cruz lead another kamikaze attack, it is more than a possibility.

Meet The 37 House Republicans Who Could Lose Their Jobs For Shutting Down The Government

Fifty-four percent of Americans now oppose Republican control of the House, according to a CNN-ORC poll released on Monday. And a series of polls commissioned by progressive advocacy group Moveon.org and conducted by Public Policy Polling released in batches over the last several days indicate Democrats may have enough momentum to take back the House.

Democrats only need to lock up 17 additional seats in the November 2014 midterm elections to secure a House majority. The new polls show the recent government shutdown may cause as many as 37 Republicans to lose their House seats next year.

PPP pollsters surveyed 61 Republican-held congressional districts around the country from Oct. 1 through Oct. 18. They concluded that “Democrats not only have an opportunity to take back the House of Representatives next year, but that they could win a sizable majority if voter anger over the shutdown carries into 2014."

I think that at present, Silver is probably right, and this will not happen. However, in January, should Cruz lead another kamikaze attack, it is more than a possibility.

Its a long time till house elections. Dems should be far more worried with the distasterous state of Obamacare, which can linger on for months.

The only thing in play are you nuts, by you.

I think the re-drawn district lines mean Democrats will need more than a 3 or 4 point margin nationwide to contend for a majority in the House. They out-polled Republicans by 0.5 points nationwide in 2012 and only picked up 7 seats.

Currently RCP has the generic vote leaning more than 6 points in favor of the Democrats - so it's possible. But I personally think it is unlikely.

....And the Republicans can't win the Senate??

I hope the Republicans can hold onto the House becaus I dislike having the entire government in the hands of one party. Too much crazy BS comes seeping through from their crazies.

This is bad news by the OP. Mainly due to the unlikelihood of Republicans winning the Senate and the fact that the next preisdential elections is in 2016.

Bad news indeed.

House and Senate are BOTH in play for either party... You could see a flip flop in both, considering the seats up for grabs, who currently holds those seats, and the approval of the inept legislative branch

....And the Republicans can't win the Senate??

I hope the Republicans can hold onto the House becaus I dislike having the entire government in the hands of one party. Too much crazy BS comes seeping through from their crazies.

This is bad news by the OP. Mainly due to the unlikelihood of Republicans winning the Senate and the fact that the next preisdential elections is in 2016.

Bad news indeed.

I tend to agree.
The odds look best for the GOP in the House

If they don't screw up - they may win the White House.

Last edited:
I think the re-drawn district lines mean Democrats will need more than a 3 or 4 point margin nationwide to contend for a majority in the House. They out-polled Republicans by 0.5 points nationwide in 2012 and only picked up 7 seats.

Currently RCP has the generic vote leaning more than 6 points in favor of the Democrats - so it's possible. But I personally think it is unlikely.

It would take more like an 8-10 point lead for Dems to take the House, at least in the generic "Do you like R or D for congress?" polls. Beyond the gerrymandering, there's the fact that people like their own congresscritter, and incumbency is powerful.

Last edited:

The shutdown will be long forgotten by next Nov but the disaster called obamacare will still be with us. And, not a single republican voted for it! We now have 10 Democrat Senators pushing for an extension of the ACA, and that was exactly what the House sent to them in a bill and they voted it down under threat of veto from their dear leader in the White House.

Last edited:

The shutdown will be long forgotten by next Nov but the disaster called obamacare will still be with us. And, not a single republican voted for it! We now have 10 Democrat Senators pushing for an extension of the ACA, and that was exactly what the House sent to them in a bill and they voted it down under threat of veto from their dear leader in the White House.

exactly, the senate is very much in play in 2014, thats why red state dems, like our Mary Landrieu, are scrambling trying to save their asses from the disaster known as obamacare.

Only ones who are going to lose their seats are the traitors who refused to make sure the retard in chief didn't rack up more debt. I wasn't going to vote but I might now...

It would take more like an 8-10 point lead for Dems to take the House, at least in the generic "Do you like R or D for congress?" polls. Beyond the gerrymandering, there's the fact that people like their own congresscritter, and incumbency is powerful.

I agree for the most part. I do think it would be possible with a 6-7 point margin, but you are absolutely right about the power of the incumbency.

But I think things are going to have to turn dramatically for the GOP to pick up seats in either chamber.

Last edited:

The only thing in play are you nuts, by you.

What's haps, bitch? Don't have a nice weekend.

Forum List

Back