Honor's Night Cancelled

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Striking yet another blow for mediocrity, the Principal at a Middle School in Ipswich has cancelled the school's traditional 'Honors Night' where students who have excelled were recognized.

Sadly, everyone reading this immediately knew why the dope made his decision. The one glimmer of hope in all this is how pissed many parents of students attending the school are.

it goes hand in had where you have no winners.

of course you cant have some kids smarter then others.

Striking yet another blow for mediocrity, the Principal at a Middle School in Ipswich has cancelled the school's traditional 'Honors Night' where students who have excelled were recognized.

Sadly, everyone reading this immediately knew why the dope made his decision. The one glimmer of hope in all this is how pissed many parents of students attending the school are.

I think sports teams should let everyone play and forget about keeping score. No losers! No timing at track or swim meets either.
At my daughter's senior honor assembly they called up to stage all kinds of top students (including choral section leaders and school store employees). When it came to the 5 students with perfect 4.0s, they asked the students to stand at their seats. Then they read the wrong names. Do you know hard it is to get perfect grades in EVERYTHING over 4 years (including AP college credit courses)!
To make me even angrier, they did not announce the teachers' choice for the Phi Beta Kappa award, the highest academic award, which went to my
daughter.

Did anyone ask him for a reason?

Did anyone ask him for a reason?

Of course, it was so no one would feel 'excluded.'

Idk, those honor role presentations are time consuming. The last one I went to (during the day, but still) was tedious, the kids didn't seem to enjoy it much, and the vice principal mispronounced almost every name including my daughter's. Meh.

Idk, those honor role presentations are time consuming. The last one I went to (during the day, but still) was tedious, the kids didn't seem to enjoy it much, and the vice principal mispronounced almost every name including my daughter's. Meh.

Most ceremonies are a snooze-fest (I still remember shuffling around the gym with a little candle for the National Honor Society thing), but that's not the point. The issue here is avoiding the recognition of excellence so as not to 'offend' everyone else. This is exacerbating one of the fundamental weaknesses of 'public' education.

Last edited:

Most ceremonies are a snooze-fest (I still remember shuffling around the gym with a little candle for the National Honor Society thing), but that's not the point. The issue here is avoiding the recognition of excellence so as not to 'offend' everyone else. This is exacerbating on of the fundamental weaknesses of 'public' education.
It's just further highlighting the sad path this country is heading down.

Most ceremonies are a snooze-fest (I still remember shuffling around the gym with a little candle for the National Honor Society thing), but that's not the point. The issue here is avoiding the recognition of excellence so as not to 'offend' everyone else. This is exacerbating on of the fundamental weaknesses of 'public' education.

I think that both sides of this argument take it too seriously. If kids equate excelling with objective praise and recognition, this doesn't prepare them for the disappointment of non-meritocratic cronyism that the working world will offer, either for those who make the honor roll, or those who do not.

Forum List

Back