Home remedies for reflux?

You know..it might be a combo of acid reflux AND a thyroid prob. My mine is acting up (thyroid), I feel like something is stuck in the back of my throat.
Sleep sitting up. My papasan chair worked great, but its a bitch to get out of. So..I replaced it with a reclining chair. An over stuffed one. I love that thing! Keeps me raised enough where the acid stays down in my stomach but Im still flat enough to turn on my side if I want to.

Oh..and keep water handy. When I feel a bout of AR, I drink oodles of water. Puts the fire out so my esophagus doesnt burn. I swallowed a camera for my doctor and he didnt see any scarring, so Im good as long as I keep putting the flames out at first sign..which is usually a dull ache in my right jaw. Then when it hits my chest..Im in deep doo doo. So I put it out before it hits my chest. Took at few trips to emergency thinking I was having a heart attack before I learned what works for me...and that it isnt a heart attack but sure the hell hurts REALLY bad....and I have a high tolerance for pain, so that means its wicked bad when that happens. Water helps. A lot.

Last edited:
so my reflux is acting up again, and i thought i'd post and see if anyone here has any home remedies i might try that i haven't seen before. I've had this issue, off and on, for a few years now. I don't have insurance and haven't for years, so this hasn't been diagnosed by a doctor, but the symptoms i experience fit and my grandmother suffered from it for many years, so i feel fairly confident in my home diagnosis. :)

i cut most of the caffeine out of my diet (i drink decaf tea most of the time and no longer drink soda), i avoid spicy foods, i keep the head of my bed elevated, but nothing i've tried seems to be successful as a preventative measure. At best they may ameliorate the issue somewhat, but i so far seem doomed to deal with this on a recurring basis for the rest of my life.

There are times i get really upset with my grandmother for the medical issues i seem to have inherited from her! :evil:

what you probably have iS not over acid but under acid. I know it may sound odd but when the body has too little acid the acid sloshes around creating acid reflux. To verify this try a simple experiment next time you feel it take some apple cider vinegar a spoon full in some water, if you feel relief you have too little acid and need hcl supplementation and perhaps some enzymes. Mds are quick to offer antacids and pills to further destroy the stomach acid but that acid is vital to your health and it is my opinion you are low not high. If you try one hcl pill and get a burn then you are not low, I take three and have suffered symptoms for some time and finally realized what the problem was. My digestion is now much better and I do not the digestive problems I once had. Take as needed until the body is trained to produce the proper amount of stomach acid vital for digestion of protein. When this protein is not digested properly it feeds yeast and pathogens in the colon producing an over acid body opening you up to disease. I know it sounds weird but its true, try it and see.

Last edited:
You know..it might be a combo of acid reflux AND a thyroid prob. My mine is acting up (thyroid), I feel like something is stuck in the back of my throat.
Sleep sitting up. My papasan chair worked great, but its a bitch to get out of. So..I replaced it with a reclining chair. An over stuffed one. I love that thing! Keeps me raised enough where the acid stays down in my stomach but Im still flat enough to turn on my side if I want to.

Oh..and keep water handy. When I feel a bout of AR, I drink oodles of water. Puts the fire out so my esophagus doesnt burn. I swallowed a camera for my doctor and he didnt see any scarring, so Im good as long as I keep putting the flames out at first sign..which is usually a dull ache in my right jaw. Then when it hits my chest..Im in deep doo doo. So I put it out before it hits my chest. Took at few trips to emergency thinking I was having a heart attack before I learned what works for me...and that it isnt a heart attack but sure the hell hurts REALLY bad....and I have a high tolerance for pain, so that means its wicked bad when that happens. Water helps. A lot.
When stomach acids are low it affects the thyroid, the adrenals and a host of other problems. Most of the time those acid reflex problems are too little acid, not too much.

Thanks for all the replies!

I've tried the apple cider vinegar and it didn't help. As someone mentioned, I think reflux can work differently for everyone, so it's one of those things where you have to test different things to see what works, and unfortunately the vinegar doesn't for me.

While I do suffer from heartburn, it's actually a minor issue with me. My problems are more the feeling of something stuck in the throat/feeling the need to bring something up, gas (I burp all damn day when this is acting up), and worst of all an inability to sleep for more than a few hours at a time. I get woken up with a lot of discomfort, that feeling of something stuck in the throat, and I do in fact end up spitting up a lot of saliva and mucus. I think I tend to swallow a lot while I sleep; it seems my body tries to create something to coat my esophagus and it builds up. It's my understanding that the body may end up trying to coat the esophagus with the same stuff as in your stomach lining, and that this is what can lead to developing cancer.

I've taken Nexium and Protonix in the past; a friend also suffers from reflux and was able to get me a crapload of free samples, enough for a couple of months. Neither seemed to work. I get my symptoms for a few months at a time, then they go away for months, then come back again in an cycle. I tend to slip with my eating habits while the symptoms are gone, but since I've never been a fan of spicy foods, I don't like tomatoes or tomato products, and I've stuck with the non-caffeinated drinks, I don't think my diet is really too much of a problem.

I'll browse through here and try some of the suggestions. I'm not sure I can stand the blended potato, eww! :lol: Pickle juice was another home remedy I read about and just couldn't stand to use. :) I'm pretty much resigned to having to deal with this forever, but I hope to at least find something that lessens the problems.

TY all!

the potato is not a good idea. Alkalizing is a good idea but can not be done it the stomach acids are too low. That does not address the root of the problem which is poorly digested protein or no digested protein poor absorption and partially digested food festering in the colon.

Uncle Ferd drinks a glass o' milk when he gets heartburn...

Anti-heartburn meds increase risk of death for hospital patients
Nov. 10, 2015 - PPIs are often prescribed to reduce risk for stomach and gut bleeding, but may open patients up to hospital-aqcuired infections that can be deadly
Hospital patients prescribed proton-pump inhibitors, or PPIs, are at a higher risk of dying because of hospital-acquired infections such as pneumonia and Clostridium difficile, researchers found in a new study. PPIs are widely prescribed to prevent heartburn, however in the hospital they often are used to prevent bleeding in the stomach and gut. Doctors also automatically prescribe PPIs for patients receiving high-dose steroids to prevent the gastrointestinal bleeding they can cause.

Anti-heartburn-meds-increase-risk-of-death-for-hospital-patients.jpg

Researchers said doctors need to consider whether a patient is at greater risk of a gastrointestinal bleed or to die from a hospital-acquired infection.​

The effects of acid-reducing drugs on bacteria in the gut may be the reason hospital patients on PPIs are at greater risk of developing pneumonia or Clostridium difficile infections, however researchers said they are unsure why the drugs increase risk. "Other researchers have shown that these drugs seem to increase the risk of pneumonia and C. diff, two serious and potentially life-threatening infections that hospitalized patients are also at risk for," said Dr. Matthew Pappas, a researcher at the University of Michigan, in a press release. "Our new model allows us to compare that increased risk with the risk of upper GI bleeding. In general, it shows us that we're exposing many inpatients to higher risk of death than they would otherwise have – and though it's not a big effect, it is a consistent effect."

The researchers used a computer model based on already existing statistics of inpatient hospital patients, finding new prescriptions of PPIs during a hospital stay led to an increased risk of death in 90 percent of simulated patients. Patients who continued to take PPIs they'd been prescribed before admission to the hospital had an increase of 79 percent. Although gastrointestinal bleeds carry greater health risk, Pappas said hospital-acquired infections are much more common and can lead to death. In order to confirm the computer simulation's findings, Pappas said a clinical trial including more than 64,000 people randomly assigned to receive PPI drugs or not would need to happen -- which is highly unlikely to happen because PPIs are available as generic medications. The study is published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine.

Anti-heartburn meds increase risk of death for hospital patients

So my reflux is acting up again, and I thought I'd post and see if anyone here has any home remedies I might try that I haven't seen before. I've had this issue, off and on, for a few years now. I don't have insurance and haven't for years, so this hasn't been diagnosed by a doctor, but the symptoms I experience fit and my grandmother suffered from it for many years, so I feel fairly confident in my home diagnosis. :)

I cut most of the caffeine out of my diet (I drink decaf tea most of the time and no longer drink soda), I avoid spicy foods, I keep the head of my bed elevated, but nothing I've tried seems to be successful as a preventative measure. At best they may ameliorate the issue somewhat, but I so far seem doomed to deal with this on a recurring basis for the rest of my life.

There are times I get really upset with my grandmother for the medical issues I seem to have inherited from her! :evil:
A teaspoon of baking soda mixed in a glass of warm water for immediate relief. Fast, instant relief.

Protonix, Prilosec or some other similar proton pump inhibitor once a day for long term relief.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ, this board is starting to sound like a geriatric home. Anyone want to talk about their broken hips and arthritis too?

Jesus Christ, this board is starting to sound like a geriatric home. Anyone want to talk about their broken hips and arthritis too?
I had another heart attack the other day. It's the 9th one in 4 months. It seems like I'm always in the ER.

What is the easiest way to sneak a gun into the ER so that you can shoot the next asshole who asks you a stupid question?

Forum List

Back