Home remedies for reflux?

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Montrovant, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,387
    So my reflux is acting up again, and I thought I'd post and see if anyone here has any home remedies I might try that I haven't seen before. I've had this issue, off and on, for a few years now. I don't have insurance and haven't for years, so this hasn't been diagnosed by a doctor, but the symptoms I experience fit and my grandmother suffered from it for many years, so I feel fairly confident in my home diagnosis. :)

I cut most of the caffeine out of my diet (I drink decaf tea most of the time and no longer drink soda), I avoid spicy foods, I keep the head of my bed elevated, but nothing I've tried seems to be successful as a preventative measure. At best they may ameliorate the issue somewhat, but I so far seem doomed to deal with this on a recurring basis for the rest of my life.

There are times I get really upset with my grandmother for the medical issues I seem to have inherited from her! :evil:

2. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,127
    In all seriousness - do you have a juicer? Or at least a blender than you can use?
    Try to juice a raw potato, or blend it till it is as liquidy as possible.

Yes it works. And it has to be raw.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Eww! I'd think potatoes would make it worse; they're pure starch. But then they're part of the nightshade family, so maybe raw it has some of the qualities...

Honestly, don't do home remedies. You can get zantac over the counter and it's the best thing running that I know of.

4. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,127
    When eaten/drank raw a potato creates alkaline (from the potassium) . When cooked, it loses this property.
    I have no doubt you can google this.

5. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Er...I'll take your word for it?

6. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    warm water and baking soda...8 oz of water and a teaspoon of BS stirred in, I have an ucler, trust me..;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    BTW...belladonna's toxics include anticholinergics...which affect the diaphram muscle.

Go figure:

"
    An anticholinergic agent is a substance that blocks the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the central and the peripheral nervous system. An example of an anticholinergic is dicycloverine, and the classic example is nanazopine. Anticholinergics are administered to reduce the effects mediated by acetylcholine on acetylcholine receptors in neurons through competitive inhibition. Therefore, their effects are reversible.
    Anticholinergics are a class of medications that inhibit parasympathetic nerve impulses by selectively blocking the binding of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine to its receptor in nerve cells. The nerve fibers of the parasympathetic system are responsible for the involuntary movements of smooth muscles present in the gastrointestinal tract, urinary tract, lungs, etc. Anticholinergics are divided into three categories in accordance with their specific targets in the central and/or peripheral nervous system: antimuscarinic agents, ganglionic blockers, and neuromuscular blockers."
    Anticholinergic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About atropa belladonna:
    "The foliage and berries are extremely toxic, containing tropane alkaloids. These toxins include scopolamine and hyoscyamine which cause a bizarre delirium and hallucinations,[1] and are also used as pharmaceutical anticholinergics. The drug atropine is derived from the plant. "
    Atropa belladonna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Potatoes:
    "The potato is a starchy, tuberous crop from the perennial Solanum tuberosum of the Solanaceae family (also known as the nightshades). "

"
    Potatoes contain toxic compounds known as glycoalkaloids, of which the most prevalent are solanine and chaconine. Solanine is also found in other plants in the family Solanaceae, which includes such plants as the deadly nightshade (Atropa belladonna), henbane (Hyoscyamus niger) and tobacco (Nicotiana) as well as the potato, eggplant, and tomato. This toxin affects the nervous system, causing weakness and confusion.
    These compounds, which protect the plant from its predators, are, in general, concentrated in its leaves, stems, sprouts, and fruits.[62] Exposure to light, physical damage, and age increase glycoalkaloid content within the tuber;[63] the highest concentrations occur just underneath the skin. Cooking at high temperatures (over 170 °C or 340 °F) partly destroys these"

Potato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kinda interesting.

8. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,127
    I use to have an ulcer...I did this too.
    But man...does it taste like sh*t

9. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    true but hey, its better than burping fire...;)

10. Watchman

Watchman Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I got it bad too but am a 20mg x 2 hits Pepcid a day slave. Rotten crap once you take it a few years you become a acid blocker junkie...:(