Home remedies for reflux?

Montrovant

Fuzzy bears!
May 4, 2009
A Picturesque Apocalypse
So my reflux is acting up again, and I thought I'd post and see if anyone here has any home remedies I might try that I haven't seen before. I've had this issue, off and on, for a few years now. I don't have insurance and haven't for years, so this hasn't been diagnosed by a doctor, but the symptoms I experience fit and my grandmother suffered from it for many years, so I feel fairly confident in my home diagnosis. :)

I cut most of the caffeine out of my diet (I drink decaf tea most of the time and no longer drink soda), I avoid spicy foods, I keep the head of my bed elevated, but nothing I've tried seems to be successful as a preventative measure. At best they may ameliorate the issue somewhat, but I so far seem doomed to deal with this on a recurring basis for the rest of my life.

There are times I get really upset with my grandmother for the medical issues I seem to have inherited from her! :evil:

In all seriousness - do you have a juicer? Or at least a blender than you can use?
Try to juice a raw potato, or blend it till it is as liquidy as possible.

Yes it works. And it has to be raw.

Eww! I'd think potatoes would make it worse; they're pure starch. But then they're part of the nightshade family, so maybe raw it has some of the qualities...

Honestly, don't do home remedies. You can get zantac over the counter and it's the best thing running that I know of.

When eaten/drank raw a potato creates alkaline (from the potassium) . When cooked, it loses this property.
I have no doubt you can google this.

BTW...belladonna's toxics include anticholinergics...which affect the diaphram muscle.

Go figure:

"
An anticholinergic agent is a substance that blocks the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the central and the peripheral nervous system. An example of an anticholinergic is dicycloverine, and the classic example is nanazopine. Anticholinergics are administered to reduce the effects mediated by acetylcholine on acetylcholine receptors in neurons through competitive inhibition. Therefore, their effects are reversible.
Anticholinergics are a class of medications that inhibit parasympathetic nerve impulses by selectively blocking the binding of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine to its receptor in nerve cells. The nerve fibers of the parasympathetic system are responsible for the involuntary movements of smooth muscles present in the gastrointestinal tract, urinary tract, lungs, etc. Anticholinergics are divided into three categories in accordance with their specific targets in the central and/or peripheral nervous system: antimuscarinic agents, ganglionic blockers, and neuromuscular blockers."
Anticholinergic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About atropa belladonna:
"The foliage and berries are extremely toxic, containing tropane alkaloids. These toxins include scopolamine and hyoscyamine which cause a bizarre delirium and hallucinations,[1] and are also used as pharmaceutical anticholinergics. The drug atropine is derived from the plant. "
Atropa belladonna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Potatoes:
"The potato is a starchy, tuberous crop from the perennial Solanum tuberosum of the Solanaceae family (also known as the nightshades). "

"
Potatoes contain toxic compounds known as glycoalkaloids, of which the most prevalent are solanine and chaconine. Solanine is also found in other plants in the family Solanaceae, which includes such plants as the deadly nightshade (Atropa belladonna), henbane (Hyoscyamus niger) and tobacco (Nicotiana) as well as the potato, eggplant, and tomato. This toxin affects the nervous system, causing weakness and confusion.
These compounds, which protect the plant from its predators, are, in general, concentrated in its leaves, stems, sprouts, and fruits.[62] Exposure to light, physical damage, and age increase glycoalkaloid content within the tuber;[63] the highest concentrations occur just underneath the skin. Cooking at high temperatures (over 170 °C or 340 °F) partly destroys these"

Potato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kinda interesting.

NO more sodas.
No more caffienated drinks
No more hot sauce
No more greasy foods or spicy foods
Avoid red meats if possible.
Take an Omeprozole (i think thats how its spelled..generic for Prilosec and CHEAP) every morning. (I have been doing that for the past year).
Raise the head of your bed 4 or 5 inches so you arent laying flat.

Baking soda..bad idea. That shit can blow up your stomach.

CAUSES OF ACID REFLUX
There are plenty of food and drink-related factors that cause acid reflux to occur. Below you will find some of the reasons why this irritating condition develops:

a) Pregnancy:
The increased pressure on the stomach, as well as hormonal changes cause pregnant women to experience acid reflux. For some, this condition may unfortunately occur on a daily basis.

b) Underdeveloped Digestive Systems:
In babies, immature digestive systems cause of acid reflux in the young. While most infants are able to shake the condition by their first birthday, some children continue to suffer from acid reflux as a teenager.

c) Large Meals:
When you eat until you have an overly full stomach, the extra pressure on the lower esophageal sphincter has the potential to cause acid reflux.

d) Caffeine:
Coffee, tea, hot cocoa, and chocolate contain caffeine and other ingredients, which promote the reflux of stomach contents into the esophagus. These food and drink items cause the esophageal sphincter muscle to relax, allowing stomach acid to escape.

e) Fried and Fatty Foods:
When consuming these types of foods, digestion slows down, which keeps the food in the stomach for a longer period of time. Stomach pressure also increases.

f) Alcohol:
Those who consume alcohol increase their chances of acid reflux because the lower esophageal sphincter relaxes. This allows the contents of the stomach to seep into the esophagus.

g) Additional Foods and Drinks:
Tomatoes and products containing acidity are known to relax the lower esophageal sphincter, which allows acid reflux to occur. Citrus fruits and juices also have the same effect.

HOME REMEDIES FOR ACID REFLUX
There are plenty of acid reflux home remedies to consider when heartburn and an upset stomach arise. While some treatments can be found in your refrigerator or freezer, others reside at your local health food store. Below you will find a wide-range of suggestions to consider:

a) Ginger Root:
After meals, you can take ginger root extract mixed with honey for a great natural medication.

b) Cumin:
Instead of drinking plain water with meals, add a little cumin, which helps to stop the formation of gas in the stomach.

c) Vanilla Ice Cream:
A sweet treat to relieve symptoms of heartburn includes a cup of vanilla ice cream that is said to do the trick.

d) Fat Free Milk:
Alternative medication for acid reflux treatment doesn’t have to include drugs. Drinking small amounts of chilled skim milk every one to two hours will ease the burning sensation associated with acid reflux.

e) Fennel:
Prepare an infusion or tincture made from fennel, which can be used to combat cramping pains.

f) Lemon Balm:
This herb has the homeopathic power to relax and sedate a nervous stomach when used as an infusion or tincture.

g) Peppermint:
A nervous stomach and nausea can be treated when you add 15 grams of dried peppermint to 2 cups of water to create an effective infusion recipe. New mothers should refrain from this approach when breastfeeding because this remedy has been known to reduce milk flow.

h) Apple Cider Vinegar:
Vinegar, especially the apple cider variety has been known to ease acid reflux. Many individuals take an apple cider vinegar pill once per day to solve symptoms of acid reflux and GERD. Some people drink vinegar mixed with honey as a treatment as well.

ACID REFLUX PREVENTION
There are a few ways to avoid acid reflux from occurring by following a few preventive measures. Below you will find the kind of habits you may want to incorporate into your daily lifestyle:

a) Body Position:
Keeping an upright posture after eating a meal may help prevent acid reflux. Raising your head about six inches will also allow gravity to influence the contents within your stomach.

b) Meal Sizes and Times:
Eating smaller meals will reduce your chances of suffering from acid reflux. If you eat your meals at least 3-4 hours before going to sleep, as well as avoiding bedtime snacks, you will be able to thwart the symptoms of acid reflux.

c) Food Choices:
Some of the foods that you eat contain ingredients or substances that may irritate the esophagus or weaken the sphincter that can lead to acid reflux [3]. Peppermint, chocolate, tomatoes, grapefruit, oranges, fatty foods, and alcohol all contribute to lower esophageal sphincter problems.

d) Smoking:
Not only will quit smoking improve your overall health, but also eliminates one of the many factors that relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter.

e) Clothing:
Try wearing loose belts and clothing to eliminate unnecessary stomach pressure.

f) Weight Management:
Individuals with a healthy weight avoid the abdominal pressure known to cause acid reflux.

Home Remedies for Acid Reflux | Grandma's Home Remedies

No offense, but suicide works wonders.

That said, it isn't caffeine, IMO, but the acid content of coffee. Try different brands, decaf or not. And I think I read that decaf is more acidic. I can't drink Brother's coffee or Eight O'clock without heartburn.

I drink decaf every morning and no problems. But maybe its cuz I take the omeprozole (sp?) every morning and have been for 2 years or so?
I think acid reflux works different for each person, so the OP has to figure out what triggers his to flare up and then avoids those foods. Sleeping in a raised position also helps keep the acid DOWN. Believe me...nobody wants a hole in their espaphogus that can turn cancerous.

I had horrendous acid/heart-burn one week out of nowhere, and Downing 2 tbsp of apple cidar vinegar makes it worse for 5-7 seconds and then totally gets rid of it. It really works well.

Thanks for all the replies!

I've tried the apple cider vinegar and it didn't help. As someone mentioned, I think reflux can work differently for everyone, so it's one of those things where you have to test different things to see what works, and unfortunately the vinegar doesn't for me.

While I do suffer from heartburn, it's actually a minor issue with me. My problems are more the feeling of something stuck in the throat/feeling the need to bring something up, gas (I burp all damn day when this is acting up), and worst of all an inability to sleep for more than a few hours at a time. I get woken up with a lot of discomfort, that feeling of something stuck in the throat, and I do in fact end up spitting up a lot of saliva and mucus. I think I tend to swallow a lot while I sleep; it seems my body tries to create something to coat my esophagus and it builds up. It's my understanding that the body may end up trying to coat the esophagus with the same stuff as in your stomach lining, and that this is what can lead to developing cancer.

I've taken Nexium and Protonix in the past; a friend also suffers from reflux and was able to get me a crapload of free samples, enough for a couple of months. Neither seemed to work. I get my symptoms for a few months at a time, then they go away for months, then come back again in an cycle. I tend to slip with my eating habits while the symptoms are gone, but since I've never been a fan of spicy foods, I don't like tomatoes or tomato products, and I've stuck with the non-caffeinated drinks, I don't think my diet is really too much of a problem.

I'll browse through here and try some of the suggestions. I'm not sure I can stand the blended potato, eww! :lol: Pickle juice was another home remedy I read about and just couldn't stand to use. :) I'm pretty much resigned to having to deal with this forever, but I hope to at least find something that lessens the problems.

TY all!

If you don’t want to take hard candy with you, put an apple in your pocket. When the burning starts, take a bite of apple.

Forum List

Back