Home Improvement Question ( Backsplash )

LoneLaugher

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2011
Inside Mac's Head
I'm remodeling a kitchen. Only thing remaining to do is install a backsplash above range and sink areas.

The issue:

There was ceramic tile installed over concrete block with Redgard in some portions before the remodel. In the process of removing that tile, the concrete under it was beaten to hell. Lots of breakage and some large gouges.

I don't want to bother with putting up Sheetrock or cement board. I don't want the wall to have that much thickness added to it.

I am thinking of doing a heavy skimming job using quickset. Filling the gaps and gouges with a coat or two and then sanding smooth.

The question:

Will I have trouble applying thinset and tile over a fairly large section that is prepped in that way? Will the thinset adhere?

Grampa Murked U

Thin set is pretty good stuff, I think you have a good shot at the application working for what you are doing.

I'm remodeling a kitchen. Only thing remaining to do is install a backsplash above range and sink areas.

The issue:

There was ceramic tile installed over concrete block with Redgard in some portions before the remodel. In the process of removing that tile, the concrete under it was beaten to hell. Lots of breakage and some large gouges.

I don't want to bother with putting up Sheetrock or cement board. I don't want the wall to have that much thickness added to it.

I am thinking of doing a heavy skimming job using quickset. Filling the gaps and gouges with a coat or two and then sanding smooth.

The question:

Will I have trouble applying thinset and tile over a fairly large section that is prepped in that way? Will the thinset adhere?

Grampa Murked U
Use a surface bonding cement first to smooth out the wall.

surface bonding cement - Google Search

The issue:

The question:

Grampa Murked U

I've never used that before. Will it adhere to the quickset? How thinly can it be applied?

The issue:

The question:

Grampa Murked U

I've never used that before. Will it adhere to the quickset? How thinly can it be applied?
It is Quickset only it has fiberglass or some other agent in it to help with bonding, it's not a thinset/mastic.

You'll be fine lone. All thinset is is concrete anyway. If you have gouges in the wall that you wanna fill in you can use any concrete material you want to float them out smooth. And then just trowel on your thinset like any other tile project. That said, i don't even use manual mix thinset for small applications like backsplashes I just use the premixed tile adhesive.

Forum List

Back