Home Depot pledges $50 million to train 20,000 skilled laborers, military veterans wanted

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Something our broken education system has failed to do. Is this something that could provide jobs to those in need. And, it appears to be applicable to those nearing their time to leave the service.

It announced Thursday it would commit $50 million to train 20,000 tradespeople over the next 10 years, starting with separating military members and veterans, at-risk youth and members of the Atlanta Westside community, in an effort to reduce the number of unfilled construction sector jobs in the U.S. Currently, there are 158,000 unfilled jobs in the sector, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which projects the total employment number of construction laborers to increase 10.5% by 2026. As FOX Business reported, many six figure jobs in the sector are going unfilled.

"We want to bring shop class back, from coast-to-coast," Shannon Gerber, executive director of The Home Depot Foundation, said in a statement. "We're thrilled to train 20,000 next-generation plumbers, electricians, carpenters and beyond. It's a true honor to welcome our first classes of separating soldiers as they transition to civilian life and into successful careers in the trades."

Much more on the program @ Home Depot pledges $50 million to train 20,000 skilled laborers, military veterans wanted

Bed wetters want to pretend there are no new jobs being created.

Deanturd posted some sort of asinine bullshit like that earlier.

The fact is we're now faced with a serious shortage of people available to fill the jobs in some sectors.

Too bad there is such an abundance of parasites paid by Soros to troll forums like this.

Not that I'd want any of these retards wiring homes or involved in manufacturing anything not immediately disposable.

When the unions were strong, the training was there. You started out as an apprentice and recieved the training. It was paid. When you reached proficiency, you moved to journeyman level and got more money and went on to better jobs. Then when you reached another plateau, you made master and more money and a better job. Today, industry has forgotten how to train new blood. The Jobs are still there but the new blood to fill them just aren't there.

When the unions were strong, the training was there. You started out as an apprentice and recieved the training. It was paid. When you reached proficiency, you moved to journeyman level and got more money and went on to better jobs. Then when you reached another plateau, you made master and more money and a better job. Today, industry has forgotten how to train new blood. The Jobs are still there but the new blood to fill them just aren't there.
And machines do a lot of that stuff now

Smart move training Military Veterans who are used to training and following orders. If you can get at-risk youths to consider joining the Military at the same time you have a winning combination, otherwise it might be a waste of money. At any rate the best thing is to keep the government out of the program or most of the money will go to bureaucrats, poverty pimps and votes for democrats.

Smart move training Military Veterans who are used to training and following orders. If you can get at-risk youths to consider joining the Military at the same time you have a winning combination, otherwise it might be a waste of money. At any rate the best thing is to keep the government out of the program or most of the money will go to bureaucrats, poverty pimps and votes for democrats.

Hate to tell you, but most of those at risk youths would be ineligible for military service. Either they would be disqualified for physical reasons, or they would be rejected because they didn't have a high school diploma or GED. And, if they do have a GED, the billets for non high school grads are limited and they need to score 50 or higher on the ASVAB. High school graduates only need to score 32.

Do I think that the military would be good for at risk youths? Definitely. I was one myself in that I had been orphaned when I was 8, and lived with various families in foster care until I graduated and joined the Navy. My life would have turned out much different (and probably worse) had I not joined the military.

But, like I said, even if they do want to join the military, chances are they won't be qualified. Did you know that only about 30 percent of the population in this country who are age eligible to serve would qualify?

I have never seen a machine that could sweat copper pipe on a construction site.

I have never seen a machine that could sweat copper pipe on a construction site.
Something that is becoming rare..

Something that is becoming rare..

Actually, a Plumber is one of the few occupations that is quite secure in their jobs much like Electricians. Same goes for Auto Mechanics. We have a shortage of all 3 or those. The traditional Union Aprentiseship of the Plumber and the Electrician has all but disappeared. Wejen inductry started cuting costs, that was a cost they cut to get the bottom line to rock bottom. It wasn't that give a deal for a few jobs but it became the norm and then the trained worker shortage came out of it. The Unions still exist but they are very weak since there is no incentive to go through them anymore. So the apprenticeship program is all but dead.

Forum List

Back