Holy CRAP! I wasn't the only one... re: Pope/Heaven

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
http://www.local10.com/news/4378405/detail.html

weird.

PITTSBURGH -- An evangelical Christian talk show host who questioned the beliefs of the Catholic church and entertained a caller's question about whether the late Pope John Paul II would go to heaven has been fired.
Marty Minto, 39, a senior pastor at a New Castle church, was fired Friday after three years as a host on WORD-FM in Pittsburgh. He said he was told that he was alienating listeners.

"As far as I'm concerned, I was doing what I've always done on the radio -- look at events around the world from a biblical perspective. I've always been willing to talk about controversial subjects," said Minto, who has had shows in Albany, N.Y., Denver and Phoenix.

Last week, Minto questioned some of the Catholic church's beliefs, such as purgatory, and fielded a question from a caller who asked whether the pope would go to heaven. Many evangelical Christians believe that someone must be a "born-again" believer to enter heaven.

Minto, who is also senior pastor of the 100-member Turning Point Community Church, said he told the caller that whether someone was born-again was personal and "between an individual and the Creator."

Chuck Gratner, general manager of WORD-FM, didn't dispute Minto's description and said he was let go because of differences in how he conducted his show.

"WORD-FM needs to function in this city in support of the entire church -- that means everybody -- and not focus on denominational issues," Gratner said.

-=d=- said:
I meant 'not the only one who questioned'

What puzzles me is why so many so-called "Christians" believe that their particular view is the only true path to salvation and that the rest of us are destined to rot in hell.

I believe that the teachings of Jesus involved a far more all-encompassing concept of salvation than that being preached by various Christian sects who seem to place their membership drives ahead of the teachings of Christ.

Merlin1047 said:
What puzzles me is why so many so-called "Christians" believe that their particular view is the only true path to salvation and that the rest of us are destined to rot in hell.

I believe that the teachings of Jesus involved a far more all-encompassing concept of salvation than that being preached by various Christian sects who seem to place their membership drives ahead of the teachings of Christ.

It's because Christ claimed to be 'the only' way. (shrug) I believe him.

Merlin1047 said:

That's a BIG stir stick ya have there Merlin! :D

Merlin1047 said:

Thats the fallacy of all religions. Islam, Chritianity, Judism, Hinduism. You must believe the 1 true faith or perish in hell.

-=d=- said:
It's because Christ claimed to be 'the only' way. (shrug) I believe him.

Well, let's not narrow that statement too much. Christ did say that no one goes to the Father but through Him (Jesus).

I believe that too.

Show me where Jesus said that Baptists go to heaven and Catholics don't. Catholics acknowledge Christ. That's really my point. Denominational dogma and competition frequently tend to obscure the basics.

Merlin1047 said:
Well, let's not narrow that statement too much. Christ did say that no one goes to the Father but through Him (Jesus).

I believe that too.

Show me where Jesus said that Baptists go to heaven and Catholics don't. Catholics acknowledge Christ. That's really my point. Denominational dogma and competition frequently tend to obscure the basics.

You know baptists who think only other baptists will go to heaven??

I haven't been to a church yet where they claim other denominationsl aren't or can't be saved.

-=d=- said:
You know baptists who think only other baptists will go to heaven??

I haven't been to a church yet where they claim other denominationsl aren't or can't be saved.

Every sect thinks it has the inside track on salvation. Every sect thinks that in the race for Heaven, they are in the lead. Every sect believes that if there's a high rent district in heaven, it will be occupied solely by them.

Every sect which thinks like that is wrong.

There is no checklist for salvation. There is no list of tasks which must be undertaken and accomplished before one dies. Jesus expects us to do our best to live as Christians and to obey the teachings of the Bible and the requirements of the Commandments.

But even if I do that flawlessly, I cannot earn the RIGHT to admission into heaven. That is a GIFT given me by God. There is nothing that I can do to assure entry. I have to believe that ultimately God's mercy will permit me to have eternal life even though I am not worthy of such a gift.

And that is where I part company with most major Christian religions. Every one believes that theirs is the best way to get to heaven. Most ignore the fact that the only way is simply to believe in Jesus and to live your life in His honor. Churches are merely a sideshow on the road to Salvation, they are not the way.

Merlin1047 said:
Every sect thinks it has the inside track on salvation. Every sect thinks that in the race for Heaven, they are in the lead. Every sect believes that if there's a high rent district in heaven, it will be occupied solely by them.

Every sect which thinks like that is wrong.

There is no checklist for salvation. There is no list of tasks which must be undertaken and accomplished before one dies. Jesus expects us to do our best to live as Christians and to obey the teachings of the Bible and the requirements of the Commandments.

But even if I do that flawlessly, I cannot earn the RIGHT to admission into heaven. That is a GIFT given me by God. There is nothing that I can do to assure entry. I have to believe that ultimately God's mercy will permit me to have eternal life even though I am not worthy of such a gift.

And that is where I part company with most major Christian religions. Every one believes that their's is the best way to get to heaven. Most ignore the fact that the only way is simply to believe in Jesus and to live your life in His honor. Churches are merely a sideshow on the road to Salvation, they are not the way.

You are interchanging 'denominations' with 'religions'. I believe there isn't one major denomination of Protestant Christianity which claims other denomination members aren't saved, as long as they follow this Bible-breathed Check list ;)

: Confess with one's mouth
: Believe in one's heart
: that Christ is Lord.

That's about it.

Then 'do' what he says to do. :D

-=d=- said:
You are interchanging 'denominations' with 'religions'. I believe there isn't one major denomination of Protestant Christianity which claims other denomination members aren't saved, as long as they follow this Bible-breathed Check list ;)

: Confess with one's mouth
: Believe in one's heart
: that Christ is Lord.

That's about it.

Then 'do' what he says to do. :D

I would like it noted that I have been very laid back here. ;)

-=d=- because we're well aware of your skill with words, deeper meanings that can be difficult to discern, which drives at least one of us batty, :tng: , tell me, are you saying that ONLY Protestants are saved?

Merlin1047 said:

Merlin, I don't know which churches you've been going to, but I have only met one Christian in my entire life who thought that way - NewGuy.

While I wholeheartedly believe that Christ is the only way to God, I don't think any particular denomination or branch of the Church has the 100% solution - including my own.

Kathianne said:
I would like it noted that I have been very laid back here. ;)

-=d=- because we're well aware of your skill with words, deeper meanings that can be difficult to discern, which drives at least one of us batty, :tng: , tell me, are you saying that ONLY Protestants are saved?

I wrote those words, but you are taking them out of context. I wrote "among Protestant Denominations (he brought up Baptists), I can't image ANY would say 'another' denomination wasn't saved based on denominational differences'.

Then I wrote,

"To follow christ - who is the ONLY path to heaven - one must...."then I gave the list.

-=d=- said:
I wrote those words, but you are taking them out of context. I wrote "among Protestant Denominations (he brought up Baptists), I can't image ANY would say 'another' denomination wasn't saved based on denominational differences'.

Then I wrote,

"To follow christ - who is the ONLY path to heaven - one must...."then I gave the list.

Seriously, I was trying NOT to take words or meaning out of context or intent. Really!

Ok, I'll take the above at face value, peace.

-=d=- said:

Then I wrote,

There are many religious people out there who believe that the way they are worshipping is "the only way" and thoroughly convinced that they are right. They believe by default that people believing differently are going to hell but for some reason do not voice these feelings. I think "born agains" and "evangelicals" take it on the chin not so much for what they believe but for their confidence in saying it. People tend to dislike people who are absolutely adamant that they are right.

Forum List

Back