Hollywood Obituaries

"Coach" actor Jerry Van Dyke dead at 86 - CBS News

Comically known as a Man for One Season, til he costarred on Coach

Who suffered the embarrassment of staring in one of the worst, and most short lived sitcoms in the history of television, "My mother, the car"., based on the premise that his mother died and came back to life as a Model T Ford with her soul and personality.

Starred in several one season sitcoms.

Guess the producers thought he'd be another Dick

I always thought he was better...I wonder what his wife looked liked or his home.

Original Disney Mouseketeer Tracey Dies at 74...
icon9.png

Original Disney Mouseketeer Tracey Dies at 74
January 12, 2018 — Doreen Tracey, a former child star who played one of the original cute-as-a-button Mouseketeers on The Mickey Mouse Club in the 1950s, has died, according to Disney publicist Howard Green. She was 74.
Tracey died of pneumonia Wednesday at a hospital in Thousand Oaks, Calif., following a two-year battle with cancer. Tracey maintained ties to Disney and show business throughout her life, appearing in the film Westward Ho the Wagons! and touring with the Mouseketeers. She later served as a publicist to musician Frank Zappa and worked at Warner Bros. It was the pig-tailed Tracey and her talented co-stars — including Annette Funicello — who appeared on television in black hats with ears following the anthem "M-I-C, K-E-Y, M-O-U-S-E ...'' on ABC's The Mickey Mouse Club.

Millions of kids raced home from school to watch in wonder as the bouncy Mouseketeers announced themselves at the top of the show. The Mickey Mouse Club was the brainchild of Walt Disney during the flowering of his company's fortunes in the mid-1950s. To help finance the Disneyland park, he agreed to supply ABC with TV shows. One was designed for children in the pre-dinner hour. The hourlong show proved a sensation with its Oct. 3, 1955, debut. It flourished for two seasons, then was reduced to a half-hour for two more. Tracey stayed for its four-year run.

ABF72D86-FCE9-420B-8526-9D2FFD4A3C7C_cx0_cy25_cw0_w1023_r1_s.jpg

Former "Mickey Mouse Club" Mouseketeer Doreen Tracey poses near Stage One on The Walt Disney Studios lot after its rededication as the "Annette Funicello Stage" in honor of the late Mouseketeer in Burbank, Calif., June 24, 2013. Stage One was the home of the original "Mickey Mouse Club" TV series.​

The black-and-white series was syndicated in 1962-65. The 1990s version of The Mickey Mouse Club launched the careers of singers Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera, and actors Keri Russell and Ryan Gosling. Born in London on April 3, 1943, to parents who worked in vaudeville, Tracey arrived in the United States when she was 4 and learned to sing and dance. She nabbed a spot on The Mickey Mouse Club when she was 12. Lorraine Santoli, a former executive at Disney who wrote The Official Mickey Mouse Club Book, said Tracey remained close to her Disney roots, maintaining longtime friendships with her fellow Mouseketeers.

Tracey strained her relationship with Disney by posing for a men's magazine in 1976 with nothing on except her mouse ears and later wearing nothing but an open trench coat in front of Disney Studios. Still, she often appeared at Mickey Mouse Club reunion shows at Disneyland and at Disney conventions, last celebrating the show's 60th anniversary in 2015. Tracey is survived by her son, Bradley, and two grandchildren, Gavin, 9, and Autumn, 12.

Original Disney Mouseketeer Tracey Dies at 74

Oh come on Annie give her the Respec she deserves..

Doreen Tracey_med.jpg

In Funicello's autobiography, she said that the kids were charged for lost mouse ears. Apparently, the kids would bring them home to show to their friends, who would swipe them. Annette was the last Mouseketeer chosen, and she was personally chosen by Disney. She was the only one of the originals who parlayed her Mouseketeer roll into an show business career. We preteen boys started watching Mickey Mouse Club because of the great entertainment, but soon focused, instead, on watching Annette's bra size grow. Walt took special interest in Annette. When she reached an age where she was being used as a teenaged sex symbol in beach party movies, Walt gave her his blessing, provided that she never wore anything that revealed her navel.

Apparently, they all got along pretty well, except for Darleen, who was a frustrated prima donna wannabe.

She could cross one eye while the other stayed normal...
sad.gif

Nanette Fabray passes at 97
23 Feb.`18 - Nanette Fabray, an Emmy and Tony Award-winning actress and humanitarian, died Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018 of natural causes, according to multiple news sources. She was 97.
Born Ruby Bernadette Nanette Fabares Oct. 27, 1920, in San Diego, California, Fabray became involved in showbiz as a child. Fabray learned to tap dance, and she made her professional stage debut at age 3. She spent much of her childhood appearing in vaudeville shows, learning and refining skills that would serve her well in musical comedy. In her 20s, Fabray was diagnosed with hereditary hearing loss. She had four operations throughout her lifetime to restore her hearing. She also began wearing a hearing aid and speaking publicly about her disability in her 30s. "I was the first celebrity to stand up and say, 'I'm not perfect,'" she told The Morning Call in a 1996 interview.

188274472port.jpgx

Nanette Fabray​

Undeterred by her physical challenges, Fabray became a successful musical theater actress in the 1940s, winning the 1949 Tony Award for best performance by a leading actress in a musical for her performance in "Love Life." She began appearing on TV in the 1950s. She received great acclaim acting opposite Sid Caesar on his sketch comedy show "Caesar's Hour." She won three Emmy awards during her two seasons on the show, from 1954 to 1956. In 1961, she starred on her own series, which lasted 13 episodes. Fabray made frequent appearances on sitcoms, often as the mother of a show's main character. These shows included "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," "One Day at a Time," and "Coach," where she played mother to her real-life niece, actress Shelley Fabares.

Throughout her life, Fabray continued to advocate for people with hearing disabilities. Her efforts contributed to the Americans With Disabilities Act, and she was a founding member of the National Captioning Institute, which was instrumental in passing a law requiring that all TV sets be equipped with captioning in 1994. Fabray was preceded in death by her husband, the screenwriter Ranald MacDougall. She is survived by her son and grandchildren.

Nanette Fabray's Obituary on Trib Total Media

Is sad, so sad...
icon9.gif

Entertainer known for role as Bozo the Clown dies at 89
March 22, 2018 — Longtime Boston television personality and entertainer Frank Avruch, who was the star of the popular children's TV program Bozo the Clown, has died. He was 89.
Avruch died Tuesday at his Boston home from heart disease, his family said in a statement to WCVB-TV. Avruch played Bozo the Clown from 1959 to 1970, a clown character particularly popular in the U.S. in the 1960s because of widespread franchising in television. Avruch became the first nationally-syndicated Bozo the Clown. "He had a heart of gold," manager Stuart Hersh told The Associated Press on Wednesday, "He brought the Bozo the Clown character to life better than anyone else's portrayal of Bozo the Clown." Avruch also was a contributor to WCVB-TV for more than 40 years as a host of Man About Town and The Great Entertainment.

0322_bozo_real_frankjpg

Avruch played Bozo the Clown from 1959 to 1970, a clown character particularly popular in the U.S. in the 1960s because of widespread franchising in television.​

Avruch passed away on Tuesday, March 20, 2018, of heart disease at his Boston home.

LOVED Frank. Channel 5's Man about Town, Great entertainment. Best known as Bozo the Clown. By all accounts here @wcvb he was a kind wonderful man. RIP Frank and thanks pic.twitter.com/r8EqhhvSAd
— Maria Stephanos (@mariastephanos) March 21, 2018

He was an active philanthropist and a board member of UNICEF'S New England chapter. He toured the world performing as Bozo the clown for UNICEF. "He touched so many people with his portrayal," Hersh said. Avruch is survived by his wife Betty, two sons Matthew and Steven and several grandchildren. "While it's hard to say goodbye, we celebrate the legacy of joy and laughter he brought to millions of children around the world as Bozo the Clown on TV and as a UNICEF Ambassador and later as host of Channel 5's Great Entertainment and Boston's Man About Town," Avruch's family said in a statement to the station. "Our dad loved the children of all ages who remembered being on his show and was always grateful for their kind words. We will miss him greatly."

Entertainer known for role as Bozo the Clown dies at 89

Dat's was before she went an' showed her butt in Vietnam...
icon11.png

WWI Vet Andy Lewis Dies, Wrote Jane Fonda's Oscar-Winning Role in 'Klute'
26 Mar 2018 - Andy Lewis, an Academy Award-nominated screenwriter, died in his New Hampshire home last month. He was 92.
Lewis, best known for co-writing the screenplay for the 1971 thriller "Klute," died of natural causes, his partner, France Menk, told the Hollywood Reporter. The Massachusetts native served in the Army during World War II, then began his writing career on "Omnibus."

andylewisjanefondaklute.jpg

Oscar-nominated screenwriter and Oscar-winning actress from the 1971 movie "Klute."​

Along with moonlighting as a speechwriter for politicians including then-Massachusetts Sen. John F. Kennedy, Lewis worked on series like "Encounter" and "Dr. Kildare," as well as producing the Off-Broadway play "The Infantry." "Klute," written by him and brother Dave, starred Jane Fonda, Donald Sutherland, Charles Cioffi and Roy Scheider, and followed a prostitute who helped a detective solve a missing person case.

The film was nominated for best original screenplay, losing to Paddy Chayefsky's "The Hospital." Fonda won her first Academy Award, beating Julie Christie ("McCabe & Mrs. Miller"), Glenda Jackson ("Sunday Bloody Sunday"), Vanessa Redgrave ("Mary, Queen of Scots") and Janet Suzman ("Nicholas and Alexandra") for the best actress honor.

Lewis, who retired from writing in 1985, is survived by six children. "To be sure, I feel a little timid about dying. It's something I haven't done before...And you know, as a matter of reason, that you have to let me go," he said in a prewritten statement before his death. "I've had long lucky years. I don't feel many shames or regrets. I've done most of my chores. I'm ready to rest. "But at this goodbye, know these things. You have filled my life. You are my pride. Know my love."

WWI Vet Andy Lewis Dies, Wrote Jane Fonda's Oscar-Winning Role in 'Klute'

She played the no-nonsense firehouse secretary on Chicago Fire...
sad.gif

'Chicago Fire' Actress DuShon Monique Brown Dead At 49
Mar, 26, 2018 - DuShon Monique Brown, best known for her role on NBC’s hit drama Chicago Fire, has passed away. She was 49.
Brown died at St. James Olympia Field Hospital just outside of Chicago on Friday afternoon. Her representative, Robert Schroeder, called the performer a “kind hearted soul.” “We are devastated by the loss of a very talented and kind hearted soul,” Schroeder told TODAY. “DuShon was a film, television, commercial and voice-over actress who also graced the stages of many Chicago theaters. She brought laughter and joy to many and will be greatly missed.” Schroeder said the actress died of “natural causes” after reportedly complaining about chest pains, but the Cook County Medical Examiner has yet to release an official cause of death.

Actress DuShon Monique Brown​

Dick Wolf, producer of Chicago Fire, said the cast and crew were “devastated” by Brown’s death. "The Chicago Fire family is devastated to lose one of its own," Wolf said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with DuShon's family and we will all miss her."

One of my favorite Connie scenes on @NBCChicagoFire. Always sassy, always in charge! Her banter with Mouch was always a source of laughter. You will be truly missed, DuShon.❤️ #ChicagoFire pic.twitter.com/t6Va54j0AA
— Emer O' Sullivan (@msemerosullivan) March 24, 2018

Derek Haas, Chicago Fire co-creator, took to Twitter to share his thoughts about the beloved actress. “Very sad to hear about DuShon's passing yesterday,” Haas wrote. “I'm grateful we got to work with her and so happy she got to make millions of people smile. She will be greatly missed.”

While Brown has appeared on screen in shows like Empire, Prison Break, and Shameless, as well in several theatrical productions, she remained a counselor at a Chicago public school. In addition to her heartbroken friends and coworkers, Brown leaves behind her daughter, 14-year-old Zoe, and a fiancé. A GoFundMe fundraising page has been set up to support her family.

'Chicago Fire' Actress DuShon Monique Brown Dead At 49

Studio Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata dies...
sad.gif

Studio Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata dies at 82
6 Apr.`18 - Japanese anime director Isao Takahata, co-founder of the famed Studio Ghibli, has died at the age of 82.
Mr Takahata was nominated for an Oscar in 2015 for The Tale of the Princess Kaguya but is best known for his film Grave of the Fireflies. He founded Studio Ghibli with iconic director Hayao Miyazaki in 1985. It became a world-renowned animation studio, producing blockbusters such as Castle in the Sky, and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. Mr Takahata started his career in animation in 1959 at Japan's Toei studio, where he met Mr Miyazaki, who is usually seen as the face of Studio Ghibli.

_100724906_gettyimages-468878072.jpg

Mr Takahata was awarded France's Order of Arts and Letters in 2015​

The duo went on to co-found Studio Ghibli, and were described by local media as both friends and rivals. Mr Takahata's film The Tale of the Princess Kaguya earned him an Academy Award nomination in 2015 for best animated feature. But his most loved work was the 1988 film Grave of the Fireflies, a heartbreaking tale of two orphans during World War Two. Filmmakers and animators have been paying tribute to him on social media.

The maestro Isao Takahata, director of such burnished animated gems as Grave of the Fireflies, Only Yesterday, Pom Poko, The Tale of Princess Kaguya and more, has died at the age of 82.
— Little White Lies (@LWLies) April 5, 2018

_100728998_shutterstock_editorial_5862750b_crop.jpg

Grave of the Fireflies told the story of two siblings trying to survive during World War Two​

No animated movie has made me cry more than this tender, gorgeous, profound, soulful and landmark film. A giant of our art form has left us. RIP maestro Isao Takahata
— Jorge R. Gutierrez (@mexopolis) April 5, 2018

RIP Isao Takahata... You will live forever in our hearts through your absolutely beautiful work and legacy that you have generously left us. Thank you for all that you've done.
— Marie Lum 林 (@PuccaNoodles) April 5, 2018

Anime film legend Takahata dies

Last edited:

Forum List

Back