Hmmmm...let's see what happens

Ummmmmmm... Lott didn't leave because of his stupid comments...

Lott left so he could go make money:

Republican sources close to Lott said one reason for Lott's decision to resign is the new lobbying restrictions on former lawmakers.

A law kicks in on January 1 that forbids lawmakers from lobbying for two years after leaving office. Those who leave by the end of 2007 are covered by the previous law, which demands a wait of only one year.

"He wants to go make a living; he has no money," a GOP source said. "He'll be acting as a lobbyist and political adviser."

The source also said Lott wanted to leave now so that the person appointed to replace him would have almost a year in the Senate before facing the voters during the elections in November 2008.

Senate's No. 2 Republican to resign by end of year - CNN.com

Even Fox's valentine to Trent didn't say anything along the lines you're alleging:

Trent Lott Resigns From U.S. Senate After Nearly Two Decades of Service - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum - FOXNews.com

I really hate revisionist history.

Republican sources close to Lott said one reason for Lott's decision to resign is the new lobbying restrictions on former lawmakers.

A law kicks in on January 1 that forbids lawmakers from lobbying for two years after leaving office. Those who leave by the end of 2007 are covered by the previous law, which demands a wait of only one year.

"He wants to go make a living; he has no money," a GOP source said. "He'll be acting as a lobbyist and political adviser."

The source also said Lott wanted to leave now so that the person appointed to replace him would have almost a year in the Senate before facing the voters during the elections in November 2008.

Even Fox's valentine to Trent didn't say anything along the lines you're alleging:

Trent Lott Resigns From U.S. Senate After Nearly Two Decades of Service - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum - FOXNews.com

so do i and trent lott resigned his position as senate minority leader in 2002 due to his remarks at thurmond's birthday party.

harry reid had this to say:

Asked if the episode would serve as a warning to weigh his own words carefully, Reid said: "You play how you practice."

"If you tell ethnic jokes in the backroom, it's that much easier to say ethnic things publicly. I've always practiced how I play."

Reid on 'ethnic jokes' - The Political Eye - ReviewJournal.com

good effort, though.

I thought he resigned in '02?

Yer link even says so:

Lott, 66, served as Senate majority leader when Republicans controlled that body but was pushed out of the leadership post after he told a 2002 birthday gathering for former Sen. Strom Thurmond that the country would have avoided "all these problems" if Thurmond's 1948 segregationist presidential bid had succeeded.

Lott later apologized for his "poor choice of words."

Yer link even says he was pushed out. Or forced to resign, or however you want to put it.

so do i and trent lott resigned his position as senate minority leader in 2002 due to his remarks at thurmond's birthday party.

Asked if the episode would serve as a warning to weigh his own words carefully, Reid said: "You play how you practice."

"If you tell ethnic jokes in the backroom, it's that much easier to say ethnic things publicly. I've always practiced how I play."

good effort, though.

Shoulda read the whole thread first.....oh well.

good effort, though.

hey, it's a free country

sort of

I usually try to avoid ridiculous issues like this.

I am pretty sure none of Lott's constituents gave a darn about his comments at the birthday party.

I'm figuring it was more the upcoming change in lobbying rules.

and the rest was hot air.... on all sides.

except he resigned his position in 2002 and the lobbying rules changed in 2007.

I am pretty sure none of Lott's constituents gave a darn about his comments at the birthday party.

according to the CNN link, it was 2007 when he resigned. If it was 2002, then the link is messed up...

according to the CNN link, it was 2007 when he resigned. If it was 2002, then the link is messed up...

Read the last paragraph in the link. We're talking about him resigning his leadership position, not his senate seat.

They may not 'care' about his comments, but they do care about what he's done as leader and Senator:

NEVADA U.S. SENATE POLL: Reid hits new low in poll - News - ReviewJournal.com

Jan. 09, 2010
Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

NEVADA U.S. SENATE POLL: Reid hits new low in poll

Rating is worst in R-J's surveys for 2010 election

By LAURA MYERS
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
More than half of Nevadans are unhappy with Sen. Harry Reid, according to a new poll commissioned by the Las Vegas Review-Journal. It's the worst "unfavorable" rating he's received in the newspaper's surveys for this year's election, and it comes amid quiet speculation -- or perhaps wishful thinking by his opponents -- that it's time for the Nevada Democrat to retire rather than lose re-election.

In response, Reid told the Review-Journal Friday he wouldn't consider stepping aside as did Sen. Chris Dodd of Connecticut, whose announcement this week prompted rumors that the Senate majority leader might think about ending his political career now that he's the most vulnerable incumbent...

yeah?

and?

that has what to do with the discussion?

The idea that what GOP say and do counts, but what your 'leaders' say and do don't is not reality. There was a time that you went out of your way to make that point with other party 'tools', now you are blind to doing the same yourself.

And Kath...

for the record, I don't have any particular affinity for Reid and there are a lot of people who would do better as SML

but... this is what sane, non-histerical, rational assessment looks like:

4. Nevada (D-Reid) -- The reasons why Reid could lose are fairly self-evident, both on a polling and a narrative basis. So here's why he could still win: (1) $$$$$$, (2) it'll be harder to brand him as ineffectual if he passes health care, (3) Nevada is a machine state and Democrats control the machine, (4) Republican candidates are untested.

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: Senate Rankings, December 2009 Edition

Read the last paragraph in the link. We're talking about him resigning his leadership position, not his senate seat.

ok. my bad.

there's a reason i stay away from silliness like this.

but please let me know when the right wing starts applying it's standards equally on things that matter....

you know, like trying terrorists.

he resigned his senate seat in '07; he resigned his leadership post in '02.

ok. my bad.

there's a reason i stay away from silliness like this.

but please let me know when the right wing starts applying it's standards equally on things that matter....

you know, like trying terrorists.

i'm sure it will happen around the same time the left does the same.

Forum List

Back