Stone to rehablitate Hilter Stalin and Mao.

Mr.Fitnah

Dreamcrusher
Jul 14, 2009
Paradise.
Oliver Stone's 'Secret History' to put Hitler 'in context'
TCA -- Director Oliver Stone's upcoming Showtime documentary miniseries "Secret History of America" promises to put mass murderers such as Stalin and Hitler "in context."

"Stalin, Hitler, Mao, McCarthy -- these people have been vilified pretty thoroughly by history," Stone told reporters at the Television Critics Association's semi-annual press tour in Pasadena.

Oliver Stone's 'Secret History' to put Hitler 'in context'--The Live Feed | THR
At some point you just have to say What ever.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz7_3n7xyDg[/ame]

The only problem I have is that there are still people out there that think Stone is anything other than an insuffable bore with pretentions to grandeur whose world view might be appropriate in some alternative reality but not this one.

This is the era that makes a hero of Dexter Morgan. Stone must figure that if Dexter is a hero, Pol Pot is an even greater hero.

Interesting to see people rush to judge a concept without even reading the link...

"He's not saying we're going to come out with a more positive view of Hitler," emphasized professor Peter Kuznick, the lead writer on the project. "But we're going to describe him as a historical phenomenon and not just somebody who appeared out of nowhere."

History. Scary. Wrong. It must be stopped.

Oliver Stone has a history as well. He admires people like that.

And it isn't as if no one believe that Hitler has to be studied in terms of context. It is the only way to understand anything about him. Stalin also has to be studied in context. Neither of these guys were just thunderclaps from a blue sky.

I have no problem with understanding, but I fear what Oliver Stone will offer is justification, which is a different kettle of spoiled fish.

To put things to you directly... Finland was an ally of Hitler during the war. Did they have good reasons? Given the context, I kind of think there was valid logic for that. Finland didn't participate in Germany's stupidity (Most of Germany's allies were squicked out by what they saw going on, even the Japanese consular staff actively subverted the final solution) but given what Finland went through during the winter war.... it is understandable. Justified... That is a different question.

Don't get me wrong - there is every chance the movie will suck ass.

But I think anyone who has seen an Oliver Stone movie understands that he is motivated not by support for despotism, but for opposition to despotism, particularly right wing despotism.

Hence, if he is seeking to making a film about a right wing dictator, it is hardly likely to be full of praise for the man, but one that at least attempts to go beyond the usual cliches, and actually places a mass murderer within a greater context than we usually see. It seems he also intends to look at US companies which supported Hitler, for instance. As such, it could be very interesting, and very useful as a historical document.

Then again, it may be a piece of crap, as some Stone films have been!

Any encouragement to make people think outside the box will be welcomed by me. The cliched descriptions are boring and limiting

Hitler was greatly misunderstood :cool:

Probably so.

Certainly at the time I think very few people understood many aspects of his life which have since been discovered and put into a greater context. It is only when we read the Ian Kershaw biography's, and books such as those written by Hitler's secretary that we gain a fuller picture of the man.

Realistically, these days he'd probably have spent most of his life in psychiatric unit.

Don't get me wrong - there is every chance the movie will suck ass.

But I think anyone who has seen an Oliver Stone movie understands that he is motivated not by support for despotism, but for opposition to despotism, particularly right wing despotism.

Hence, if he is seeking to making a film about a right wing dictator, it is hardly likely to be full of praise for the man, but one that at least attempts to go beyond the usual cliches, and actually places a mass murderer within a greater context than we usually see. It seems he also intends to look at US companies which supported Hitler, for instance. As such, it could be very interesting, and very useful as a historical document.

Then again, it may be a piece of crap, as some Stone films have been!
He is mostly notorious for disingenuousness and special pleading.

How is there really much of a distinction between a right wing tyrant and a left wing tyrant? He will be the usual hack trying to portray Hitler as something right wing. the politics and methods of Stalin and Hitler are so little different that the only real distinction between the two men is the length of their mustache.

By the end of Napolean's life. He was vilified throughout europe as an evil person.

But now in France he is hailed as a patriot and a hero.

As time goes by and generations pass.

Hitler will also be rehabilited. It's just the way things happen over time.

Forum List

Back