Hmmm...actually, I'm now thinking that Palin won't stay on the ticket.

Jon

The CPA
Mar 20, 2008
Fayetteville, AR
I dunno, while I like her and I think she could be great for the Republicans, I really don't see her leaving Alaska, a state that she loves, or uprooting her family (especially with a newborn) at this point in her career.

I honestly think McCain is using this to draw attention away from the DNC and Obama's speech. It also does several other things:

1. It shows the public that McCain is willing to run with a woman.
2. It shows the conservatives that McCain shares their values.
3. It shows the independents that McCain is interested in reform.
4. It puts Biden at a sheer disadvantage in debates, while his real opponent will be prepared. (Depending on how long they draw this thing out.)

I dunno, it all just seems like a strange situation right now. I don't know what's going to happen. My gut tells me that she'll give a good speech at the RNC, but decline the position. They'll announce a different VP (Pawlenty or Romney) and begin the campaign from there. Or, they're just going to wait for the polls to show how favorable she is on the ticket. If they see she's hurting them, I guarantee she'll step down.

We'll see, but I'm really feeling like Palin was just their way to get attention away from Obama (which worked like a charm).

well, I agree that Palin was a last minute pick, made out of desparation. I'm 99% sure of that. A hail mary pass. A way to get some media attention off Obama. It was a risky pick made out of sheer political calculation. This could be another Dan Quayle moment in history.

I don't think there's any chance she'll withdraw her nomination. That would be a disaster for McCain. It would show that not only does he have bad judgment, but that he's using the office of the vice presidency to pander for votes instead of looking out for the nation's best interests. It will totally be read by the media and the american people as a disaster for McCain and a reflection on his ability and wisdom.

The GOP is stuck with Palin. I still don't understand the pick. The wingnut base is going to vote for McCain come hell or high water. He didn't need to solidify that vote. And if he though he could swipe a few hillary voters, or a few pro-choice woman just by virtue of having a female on the ticket, I think he seriously miscalculated.

I dunno, while I like her and I think she could be great for the Republicans, I really don't see her leaving Alaska, a state that she loves, or uprooting her family (especially with a newborn) at this point in her career.

I honestly think McCain is using this to draw attention away from the DNC and Obama's speech. It also does several other things:

4. It puts Biden at a sheer disadvantage in debates, while his real opponent will be prepared. (Depending on how long they draw this thing out.)

I dunno, it all just seems like a strange situation right now. I don't know what's going to happen. My gut tells me that she'll give a good speech at the RNC, but decline the position. They'll announce a different VP (Pawlenty or Romney) and begin the campaign from there. Or, they're just going to wait for the polls to show how favorable she is on the ticket. If they see she's hurting them, I guarantee she'll step down.

We'll see, but I'm really feeling like Palin was just their way to get attention away from Obama (which worked like a charm).

:rofl: sounds a little out there... :eusa_whistle:

maybe they should move this to the conspiracy theories section...?

This would crack me up if it happened.

This is like when there were people saying Biden would decline the nomination to Hillary could take it.

McCain picked her and now he's stuck with her.

I do agree though that it seems odd that she's choose to leave Alaska and uproot her family, especially with a new born and one with special needs no less.

Not a bad theory ... but they better pull her quick. Once the convention is over you would have half of the country up in arms ... if they tried this after she was approved. It would almost be like a "civil war". :eek:

Come to think of it ... could they even do that? hmmmmmn :confused:

But I will go along with you on them taking the wind out of Obama's great speech and GREAT convention, one of the best I have seen in years!

Last edited:
If they did it, pulled Palin, say Sunday night before the convention started, do you not think the media would be all over this and call BULLSHIT in a NY minute?

It would piss off even the most die hard Repug because it would make their party look like idiots.

oh wait....nevermind mission accomplished.

So, you think McCain used the Office of the Vice Presidency, in a cheap political stunt. What does that say about McCain's integrity?

Choosing a VP candidate is the only tangible decision a candidate makes before taking the oath of office. Its the only tangible decision we voters get to see them make, which demonstrates their judgment and wisdom.

If what you say is true, this was an almost unprecendented cheap political stunt, using the constitutional office of the Vice Presidency for a campaign gag. It would be a remarkable indictment of McCain's lack of integrity. You still voting for him?

I suspect he actually wanted Lieberman next to him, panicked when he saw how good the dem convention was, and at the last minute made a goofy choice that he now regrets.

One of the papers said he and Palin spent Saturday getting to know each other. Well, that's nice.

It certainly got the attention shifted, though I don't think he can do as much damage control with that as he would like. 38 million people tuned in. Wow! Gustav will get the attention soon and that really doesn't help the Republicans either.

Last edited:
If they did it, pulled Palin, say Sunday night before the convention started, do you not think the media would be all over this and call BULLSHIT in a NY minute?

It would piss off even the most die hard Repug because it would make their party look like idiots.

oh wait....nevermind mission accomplished.

:lol:

It was a risky pick made out of sheer political calculation.

Hmmm the Republicans took a risk ? OMG

and used political calculation ? say it ain't so !!!

I've never seen a VP choice inspire so much wild speculation and ugly partisanship in my life. Obama's supporters are some real classy people. :lol:
And you thought you were up against some doddering old fool. Look out ! You took Bush for a dumb hick and he pulled the wool over your eyes too !

Last edited:

I've never seen a VP choice inspire so much wild speculation and ugly partisanship in my life. Obama's supporters are some real classy people. :lol:
And you thought you were up agasisnt some dottering old fool. Look out ! You took Bush for a dumb hick and he pulled the wool over your eyes too !
just simply amazing, isnt it
thinking themselves wise they become fools

Sarah Palin isn't going to step down for any reason. Choosing her was a very calculated decision and well thought out. She knew far ahead of time what she'd be getting into long before she accepted the offer of VP. It's a McCain/Palin ticket, and it's goint to stay that way.

Why would the repubs want to break that up when it's a sure winner?

And you thought you were up against some doddering old fool. Look out ! You took Bush for a dumb hick and he pulled the wool over your eyes too !

except this thread wasn't started by an obama supporter so there is that to consider.

The speculation is to be expected I'd say considering until Friday morning 99% of America's population hadn't even heard of Palin.

Ugly partisanship? on a political message board? how odd :eusa_whistle:

I do appreciate that you're at least honest enough to admit that Mccain is a disingenuous phony just like Bush. Yes, it's true that Bush was able to "pull the wool over their eyes" but that's exactly something to be proud of IMO.

except this thread wasn't started by an obama supporter so there is that to consider.

The speculation is to be expected I'd say considering until Friday morning 99% of America's population hadn't even heard of Palin.

Ugly partisanship? on a political message board? how odd :eusa_whistle:

I do appreciate that you're at least honest enough to admit that Mccain is a disingenuous phony just like Bush. Yes, it's true that Bush was able to "pull the wool over their eyes" but that's exactly something to be proud of IMO.

I didn't intend to only point out the speculation by only the dems--good of you to notice.
ok--how about especially ugly partinsanship ? I mean really----in less than 24 hours people are making fun of how her family looks next to Mcains in some photoshopped concoction? How stupid she is for making her own choice with her pregnancy ( or ya--if it wasnt her daughter's ) ? Trashy.
I wouldn't be so quick to make fun of the man who make your people look like complete idiots. You do understand that it makes them look DUMBER ?

well since the photo thread is mine allow me to clarify that I don't think the Palin's are the one's who look funny in that photo. I think they look like a very lovely American family!

As for people commenting on her choice regarding her son Trig, well choice goes both ways IMO.... IMO If you want people to respect a woman's choice to terminate you have to respect a woman's choice to not. I commend anyone, especially a woman in her 40s with four other children, who finds the internal strength to take on what will certainly be an exhausting, albeit rewarding, endeavor of raising that precious little boy.

Sadly, yes, I do understand that those who voted Bush into office for a second term look dumber than him. Lucky for me, I can't really be held accountable for that stupidity, since I didn't vote for him in 2000 or 2004 so my hands are clean in that regard :cool:

Wow, I'm impressed. So Machiavellian...

Forum List

Back