History Rhymes

Back to the point: Progressivism is a branch of the same tree that gave us Nazism, Communism, and every totalitarian permutation.

You might want to brush up on US history, specifically the labor movement of the early 20th century. It was the laissez faire types who demanded no safety regulations in mines and mills and who bought off police and state legislatures to actively oppress people who just wanted to be treated like human beings and not a draft mule. Machine gunning miners in Ludlow CO and Cabin Creek WV wasn't done by the left.
Nor did the left call out the National Guard to intimidate and kill the common worker...

These 'common workers'?

"...someone hurled a bomb at the police, killing one officer instantly. Police drew guns, firing wildly. Sixty officers were injured, and eight died; an undetermined number of the crowd were killed or wounded.

The Haymarket bomb seemed to confirm the worst fears of business leaders and others anxious about the growing labor movement and radical influence in it. Mayor Harrison quickly banned meetings and processions."
Haymarket and May Day

You forgot the progressive GOP Congress and Supreme Court which backed TR...

What????

You mean that there were GOP Progressives????

Shocker.

“The American intellectual class from the mid 19th century onward has disliked [classical] liberalism (which originally referred to individualism, private property, and limits on power) precisely because the [classical] liberal society has no overarching goal.” http://fff.org/freedom/fd0203c.asp

The roiling in today's political conversation is due to a revolt against GOP Progressives.
There are progressives in religion also, but do try to understand that there are no political party boundaries on epidemiology...The time of TR was a time of mega capitalist perverting the system to gain more power and wealth, at the expense of the common worker...

Indeed this was the time a kind of magnetic polar reversal of the parties was taking place, McKinley and Bryan being two of its primary figureheads, where the previously Liberal and younger Republican party started to abandon its principles and take on the interests of the corporations and the rich, while the previously states-rights, decentralized-government Democratic Party started to take on the Populist movement, and ergo the commoner.

And now for the second biggest lies told by the Left to hide their iniquities....

"Indeed this was the time a kind of magnetic polar reversal of the parties...."

Exactly like this one:

"American progressives, for the most part, did not disavow fascism until the horrors of the Nazi Holocaust became manifest during World War II. After the war, those progressives who had praised Mussolini and Hitler in the 1920s and 1930s had no choice but to dissociate themselves from fascism. “Accordingly,” writes Jonah Goldberg, “leftist intellectuals redefined fascism as 'right-wing' and projected their own sins onto conservatives,
even as they continued to borrow heavily from fascist and pre-fascist thought.” This progressive campaign to recast fascism as the "right-wing" antithesis of communism was aided by Joseph Stalin,..."

Goldberg, "Liberal Fascism"

Was McKinley's assassin a progressive anarchist?

Anarchists and Progressives are Leftists.

In fact, every presidential assassin in the history of the nation has been a liberal- or has not been associated with a political outlook- none were right-wingers.

John Wilkes Booth was a conservative you idiot.

You are, of course, wrong about both Booth and about me....

Lincoln was assassinated byJohn Wilkes Booth, “…an angry Copperhead, a.k.a., ‘peace democrat,’ (when that meant pro-slavery, of course.)John Wilkes Booth - Liberapedia

John Wilkes Booth

Don't try to hide "democrat" by obfuscation.

Yeah um....... "pro-slavery" would be conservative, child.

You mean "Democrat," don't you.

Don't try to hide from your history.

Well....OK...if I have to teach you:

Jim Crow was the result of Democrat big government in the South.

1. Liberal historian Eric Foner writes that the Klan was “…a military force serving the interests of the Democratic Party…” Foner, “Reconstruction: America’s Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877,” p. 425

No, I meant exactly what I wrote ----- conservative. That's why I chose that word -- I'm describing an ideology, not a political party. While 'conservative' doesn't mean "racist", a racist is always by definition ideologically conservative. Those are personal aspects that don't morph their own definitions over time.

Political parties are simply vehicles to acquire power. They can, and do, shift their own ideologies to that end, especially given a century or two in which to do it. Parties shift with the wind; philosophies do not.

Hate to break this revelation to you but when the Republicans came on the scene in the mid 19th century they were representing Liberalism by virtue of representing the Abolition movement. Coincidentally they were also representing the idea of "Big Government", a legacy of the dying Whig Party (of which Lincoln had been one). And meanwhile, the idea currently popular in the RP of "stand down, Fed, leave it to the states" was the domain of the DP. That's where the phrase "states' rights" actually comes from.

This is not "my" history; I would have to be somewhere near 200 years old. This is OUR history.

Edit -- Jonah Goldberg :rofl: Fluent in the language of Doublethink. Top speed, comrade. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

In fact, every presidential assassin in the history of the nation has been a liberal- or has not been associated with a political outlook- none were right-wingers.

Lincoln was assassinated byJohn Wilkes Booth, “…an angry Copperhead, a.k.a., ‘peace democrat,’ (when that meant pro-slavery, of course.)John Wilkes Booth - Liberapedia

John Wilkes Booth

1. Liberal historian Eric Foner writes that the Klan was “…a military force serving the interests of the Democratic Party…” Foner, “Reconstruction: America’s Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877,” p. 425

No, I meant exactly what I wrote ----- conservative. That's why I chose that word -- I'm describing an ideology, not a political party. While 'conservative' doesn't mean "racist", a racist is always by definition conservative. Those are personal aspects that don't morph over time.

Political parties are simply vehicles to acquire power. They can, and do, shift their own ideologies to that end, especially given a century or two in which to do it. Parties shift with the wind; philosophies do not.

Hate to break this revelation to you but when the Republicans came on the scene in the mid 19th century they were representing Liberalism by virtue of representing the Abolition movement. Coincidentally they were also representing the idea of "Big Government", a legacy of the dying Whig Party (of which Lincoln had been one).

This is not "my" history; I would have to be somewhere near 200 years old. This is OUR history.

Smoke and mirrors.

It's "Democrat"......the same party that today has as it's most popular icon...a racist/rapist.

That's right...a racist: a straight line of Democrats....from then to now.

Sorry if that pains you...truth sometimes does.

John Wilkes Booth

No, I meant exactly what I wrote ----- conservative. That's why I chose that word -- I'm describing an ideology, not a political party. While 'conservative' doesn't mean "racist", a racist is always by definition conservative. Those are personal aspects that don't morph over time.

Hate to break this revelation to you but when the Republicans came on the scene in the mid 19th century they were representing Liberalism by virtue of representing the Abolition movement. Coincidentally they were also representing the idea of "Big Government", a legacy of the dying Whig Party (of which Lincoln had been one).

Smoke and mirrors.

It's "Democrat"......the same party that today has as it's most popular icon...a racist/rapist.

That's fatally naïve, to imagine that either a Democrat, or a Republican, of 2015 bears a resemblance to their namesake of 150 years past. You might trade in that Stuporgirl costume for a history book someday. If you're hanging your hat on the idea that a political party is some kind of ideological anchor, you've lost this thread.

Political parties shift with the wind. They could not even continue to exist if they did not. They'd have to constantly die off and be replaced by new ones.

And that's arguably a good idea -- we used to have a form of it before the Duopoly became a dominant collusion-- but it's not what we have in the real world.

Last edited:

John Wilkes Booth

Jim Crow was a result of conservative states rights.

Jefferson Davis, John C. Calhoun, and Robert E. Lee, et al, were not liberals.

They were conservatives.

John Wilkes Booth

They were conservatives.
The ones that would kill an Asian in the community...

John Wilkes Booth

Smoke and mirrors.

That's fatally naïve, to imagine that either a Democrat, or a Republican, of 2015 bears a resemblance to their namesake of 150 years past. You might trade in that Stuporgirl costume for a history book someday. If you're hanging your hat on the idea that a political party is some kind of ideological anchor, you've lost this thread.

Political parties shift with the wind. They could not even continue to exist if they did not. They'd have to constantly die off and be replaced by new ones.

And that's arguably a good idea, but it's not what we have in the real world.

"If you're hanging your hat on the idea that a political party is some kind of ideological anchor, you've lost this thread."

Gads....that's dumb.

They neither changed their name, nor their attitudes.

John Wilkes Booth

They were conservatives.

They were Democrats....and continue to be Democrats.

Neither their aims,nor their name has changed.

I sense your fear of being recognized, though.

4. Yet, from the earliest of Progressive administrations, we find the belief that government bureaucrats, and technocrats, and agencies know better than those involved in the myriad voluntary transactions as to how much each should have.

"I think when you spread the wealth around it's good for everybody."

a. “Progressives looked to insulate administrators not only from the chief executive, but from politics altogether. It is the Progressives' desire to free bureaucratic agencies from the confines of politics and the law that allows us to trace the origins of the administrative state to their political thought. The idea of separating politics and administration--of grounding a significant portion of government not on the basis of popular consent but on expertise--was a fundamental aim of American Progressivism and explains the Progressives' fierce assault on the Founders' separation-of-powers constitutionalism.”
The Birth of the Administrative State: Where It Came From and What It Means for Limited Government

"...Progressives' desire to free bureaucratic agencies from the confines of politics and the law..."

The name Lois Lerner comes to mind.

Smoke and mirrors.

And that's arguably a good idea, but it's not what we have in the real world.

"If you're hanging your hat on the idea that a political party is some kind of ideological anchor, you've lost this thread."

Gads....that's dumb.

They neither changed their name, nor their attitudes.

Gainsaying. No point made.

Btw the last guy who identified with the "Progressive" movement on a national basis AFAIK was Robert LaFollette -- a Republican.

Proving once again, to get from Point A to Point B, it doesn't matter whether you got there in a Ford or a Chevy --- either way you're in the same place.

John Wilkes Booth

They were conservatives.

They were Democrats....and continue to be Democrats.

Neither their aims,nor their name has changed.

I sense your fear of being recognized, though.

Since you earlier admitted in this thread that there were Progressive Republicans, you thus conceded the obvious,

that there have also been conservative Democrats.

You lose.

>> “The .... Administration will continue to fight for dynamic and progressive programs which, among other things, will:

Stimulate improved job safety of our workers, through assistance to the States, employees and employers;

Continue and further perfect its programs of assistance to the millions of workers with special employment problems, such as older workers, handicapped workers, members of minority groups, and migratory workers;

Strengthen and improve the Federal-State Employment Service and improve the effectiveness of the unemployment insurance system;

Protect by law, the assets of employee welfare and benefit plans so that workers who are the beneficiaries can be assured of their rightful benefits;

Assure equal pay for equal work regardless of Sex;

Federally-assisted construction, and maintain and continue the vigorous administration of the Federal prevailing minimum wage law for public supply contracts;

Extend the protection of the Federal minimum wage laws to as many more workers as is possible and practicable;

Continue to fight for the elimination of discrimination in employment because of race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry or sex;

Provide assistance to improve the economic conditions of areas faced with persistent and substantial unemployment;

Revise and improve the Taft-Hartley Act so as to protect more effectively the rights of labor unions, management, the individual worker, and the public.

The protection of the right of workers to organize into unions and to bargain collectively is the firm and permanent policy of the ... Administration.” --- Republican Party Platform, 1956
That of course would be well before the era of snake oilers like Jerry Limblob and Rush Falwell.

Then there's this:

>> Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. << -- First "Annual Message", Abraham Lincoln (R), December 3, 1861

By all means do go on about how political parties are like tent stakes that are set in place and never move.

>> “The .... Administration will continue to fight for dynamic and progressive programs which, among other things, will:

Stimulate improved job safety of our workers, through assistance to the States, employees and employers;

Continue and further perfect its programs of assistance to the millions of workers with special employment problems, such as older workers, handicapped workers, members of minority groups, and migratory workers;

Strengthen and improve the Federal-State Employment Service and improve the effectiveness of the unemployment insurance system;

Protect by law, the assets of employee welfare and benefit plans so that workers who are the beneficiaries can be assured of their rightful benefits;

Federally-assisted construction, and maintain and continue the vigorous administration of the Federal prevailing minimum wage law for public supply contracts;

Extend the protection of the Federal minimum wage laws to as many more workers as is possible and practicable;

Continue to fight for the elimination of discrimination in employment because of race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry or sex;

Provide assistance to improve the economic conditions of areas faced with persistent and substantial unemployment;

Revise and improve the Taft-Hartley Act so as to protect more effectively the rights of labor unions, management, the individual worker, and the public.

The protection of the right of workers to organize into unions and to bargain collectively is the firm and permanent policy of the ... Administration.” --- Republican Party Platform, 1956
That of course would be well before the era of snake oilers like Jerry Limblob and Rush Falwell.

Then there's this:

>> Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. << -- First "Annual Message", Abraham Lincoln (R), December 3, 1861

By all means do go on about how political parties are like tent stakes that are set in place and never move.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

The Founders foresaw a nation based on individualism, free markets, and limited constitutional government.

Sure isn't the Democrats.

Back to the point: Progressivism is a branch of the same tree that gave us Nazism, Communism, and every totalitarian permutation.

You might want to brush up on US history, specifically the labor movement of the early 20th century. It was the laissez faire types who demanded no safety regulations in mines and mills and who bought off police and state legislatures to actively oppress people who just wanted to be treated like human beings and not a draft mule. Machine gunning miners in Ludlow CO and Cabin Creek WV wasn't done by the left.

Your post has nothing to do with the correct statement to which you've linked it.

Rather, it is more of the Liberal 'well...so what ...there is this.....blah blah blah.'

It's not some Liberal conspiracy to point out history. I get that you don't acknowledge any history that is contrary to your weltanschaüng, but both sides of the political coin have blood on their hands. People were killed, unjust arrests were made, rights were violated, all those things the left has done, the right has also done.

Your post has nothing to do with the correct statement to which you've linked it.

Rather, it is more of the Liberal 'well...so what ...there is this.....blah blah blah.'

It's not some Liberal conspiracy to point out history. I get that you don't acknowledge any history that is contrary to your weltanschaüng, but both sides of the political coin have blood on their hands. People were killed, unjust arrests were made, rights were violated, all those things the left has done, the right has also done.

I get the idea the OP thinks of the terms "Democrat" and "Republican" in terms similar to "Taurus" and "Aquarius". Some sort of fixed character traits rather than a simple instrument to acquire what both are after -- power.

:cuckoo:

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme" is an unsourced quote attributed to MarkTwain

I kinda like considering that quote with reference to history that occurred on this day, November the 6th.

1. On Novembe the 6th, 1900, McKinley is reelected president, defeating William Jennings Bryan
Teddy Roosevelt was his VP.

a. From the mid-19th century, the Progressive ideas bubbled throughout academia. Their source was Hegelian philosophy....Karl Popper is generally regarded as one of the greatest philosophers of scienceof the 20th century [The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy(Summer 2009 Edition) ]; he watched the rise of Hitler, and the Nazis, and analyzed the conditions that allowed fascism to arise. He realized that all the totalitarian philosophies of the 20th century owe their origin to Hegel.

This is the essence of Hegelian, and Progressive, thought
“All the worth which the human being possesses - all spiritual reality, he possesses only through the State.” Hegel and Totalitarianism

2. Now, while Woodrow Wilson is usually according the title of 'first Progressive President,' an argument can be made that Theodore Roosevelt was the tip of that iceberg.

a.Well known is TR's outburst, when told the Constitution did not permit the confiscation of private property: "To hell with the Constitution when the people want coal!"

Less well known is that at one point TR summoned General John M. Schofield, instructing him: "I bid you pay no heed to any other authority, no heed to a writ from a judge, or anything else except my commands." (p. 138) "33 Questions About American History You're Not Supposed to Ask," by Thomas E. Woods, Jr.

Sound like the current Progressive President?

There is a straight line, historically and doctrinally, from Hegel to Hitler to every Progressive President.

3. Now, here is where 'history rhymes'....

November 6th, 1917, Armed workers and troops (Bolsheviks) took over the government and strategic points in Petrograd. Kerensky fled. The next day, Lenin formed the “Council of People’s Commissars.”
The Bolsheviks believed what Hegel did.

Hegel, Hitler, Teddy Roosevelt, Lenin, .....History rhymes, and the pot boils.
So Marx's used Hegel for his dialectical materialism, and it didn't that come to pass, why not?

Hardly, when your messiah Jesus was a progressive in an ultra conservative society...

It's great when the Left, who hate religion, default to trying to use religion to support their failures.

Then there's this:

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

The Founders foresaw a nation based on individualism, free markets, and limited constitutional government.

Sure isn't the Democrats.
The framers of the Constitution seem to have seen the limited government as not the good thing as so many others thought and made a government with much more power and involvement.

Forum List

Back