History of Germany and the Germans

Zebra

Gold Member
May 29, 2023
your personal opinion ….. since when can one speak of a germany ….

and of germans?

here the opinions differ.

anyway … i say …

there were germans before germany became a country in 1871

and another question ….

can one also say that swiss germans and austrians are germans?

maybe germans or members. who have been there are here?

German citizens tolerated the Holocaust because the Nazi party controlled information. Local Germans claimed they were unaware of nearby Concentration camps and General Eisenhower forced them to enter the camps and view the carnage.

German citizens tolerated the Holocaust because the Nazi party controlled information. Local Germans claimed they were unaware of nearby Concentration camps and General Eisenhower forced them to enter the camps and view the carnage.
Is that a joke or something? Given you live next to a KZ an know what is going on there you have the choice to remain silent or move in there.

I had a great conversation with my wife this morning about Alpines, the true Euro-Germanic people....not the phony Aryan ideal upheld by the Nazis. The Alpinian/German type can actually be found throughout central Europe, not just Germany, but they are more common in what is today Germany.

Contrary to the Nazi ideal, Alpines were usually brown or auburn haired, and had rounded heads often with the top of the head skewed somewhat toward the back. There are Austrian, German, French, Swiss and Italian examples among others.

Sometimes THIS always fascinated me: My father was native to Bavaria and grew up in the countryside north of Nuernberg, near Bayreuth. My parents divorced when I was still a baby, but later I met my father at the age of 32 (he was 64) and we got on well and had a few little adventures together. At our first meeting together, we both revealed that we had both just finished reading the book "Oetzi: The Iceman of Tirol"....about the mummified Iron Age man found in a glacier near the Austrian/Italian border. Both of us apparently felt a great connection to Oetzi, like he was a true ancestor of ours. Oetzi was later found by forensic anthropologists to be a true German, from southern Bavaria apparently, NOT Italy....so that says alot.

When I think of Germans I think more of people like Oetzi than I do about Prussians, Aryan Nazis, even modern Germans, Austrians, Hungarians or any similar dichotomy. I have read that modern Bavarians, as opposed to Volken from other German states, are really an amalgam of leftover Romans, the indigenous Baiovarii tribe, and Celts who passed across Europe over many centuries and mixed.with these people.

When I think of my own German-ness, these are the things I think of.

Last edited:
The first thing totalitarian regimes do is take over the media and replace information with propaganda. Were the German people aware of the persecution of Jews or were they convinced by propaganda that called German Jews and Polish Jews the enemy? It's tempting to compare it to 20th century propaganda that convinced Americans that the wholesale killing of millions of unborn humans was legitimate.

Forum List

Back