HILROD Embarrasses The United States

Burp

Always carry, never tell
Jan 22, 2009
"It is hard enough with two parties to come to any resolution, and I say this very respectfully, because I feel the same way about our own democracy, which has been around a lot longer than European democracy."

United States democracy is older than European democracy?

One working lunch later with EU leaders, Clinton raised more eyebrows when she referred to EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana, who stood beside her, as "High Representative Solano."

One name butchered.

She also dubbed European Commission External Relations Commissioner Benita Ferrero-Waldner as "Benito."

Another name butchered.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton opened her first extended talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov by giving him a present meant to symbolize the Obama administration’s vow to “press the reset button” on U.S.-Russia relations.

She handed a palm-sized box wrapped with a bow. Lavrov opened it and pulled out the gift: a red button on a black base with a Russian word peregruzka printed on top.

“We worked hard to get the right Russian word. Do you think we got it?” Clinton asked.

“You got it wrong,” Lavrov said.

Instead of "reset," Lavrov said the word on the box meant “overcharge.”

Wrong word completely.

She made a great first impression.

Another name butchered.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton opened her first extended talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov by giving him a present meant to symbolize the Obama administration’s vow to “press the reset button” on U.S.-Russia relations.

She handed a palm-sized box wrapped with a bow. Lavrov opened it and pulled out the gift: a red button on a black base with a Russian word peregruzka printed on top.

“We worked hard to get the right Russian word. Do you think we got it?” Clinton asked.

“You got it wrong,” Lavrov said.

Instead of "reset," Lavrov said the word on the box meant “overcharge.”

Wrong word completely.

She made a great first impression.

As we recall Kennedy couldn't get it right at the Brandenburg Gate, mangling a German phrase, and now Hillery couldn't get it right between two words: "reset" and "overcharge" in Russian. This was a mis-translation of individual words without the excuse of idiomatic complexity that can happen with phrases.

I don't blame Hillery for this; I've come to respect her for doing hard work, even in I don't always agree with her.

But what is the problem with our State Department? It is them she relied on to get this right. It's their job to see to it that we are communicating clearly diplomatically and that can never be done without accurate translations. It seems when asked to do a simple job they screw up, and this is not funny. Can we assume that this happens a lot more than it should?

Last edited:
She is indeed an idiot, that scene with the Russian minister and the reset button with the wrong translation was classic Hillary, pointless and stupid.

So now we know that Hillary doesn't speak Russian.

But wait, there's more...we also know that nobody in the State Department knows it very well either.

And STILL Rosetta is unfunded!

Forum List

Back