Hillary in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by 5stringJeff, Dec 15, 2003.

1. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    This was forwarded to me in an e-mail (from a trusted source). I have not checked NewsMax (the cited source) as to its accuracy. But I would not doubt that this story, if not 100% accurate, is at least grounded in truth.
    BTW - it is unwritten military law that soliders eat first, and officers (i.e. the high-ranking people) eat last. Apparently, in her eight years of being co-President, Hillary didn't learn that part.

---------------
    Tuesday, Dec. 2, 2003 12:44 a.m. EST

Bagram GI: Troops Waited While Hillary Chowed Down

U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton forced U.S. troops stationed at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan to wait for their Thanksgiving dinner last Thursday while she and her entourage arrived late, gave an interview to reporters and then cut in line and were served first.

A Green Beret (reservist) who witnessed the scene tells NewsMax:

"Thanksgiving Dinner started at 3 p.m. that day, so the line was forming around 2:30 p.m. She didn't show up until around 3:30 p.m.

"Once she got there," our source maintains, "Clinton decided to talk to and pose for photos for reporters who accompanied her and then she and her entourage bumped everyone in line, forcing them to wait almost an extra hour."

The brass at Bagram apparently had a hard time rounding up New Yorkers who wanted to have dinner with Clinton (D-NY). Only six GIs responded to an e-mail sent out last week that stated, "Looking for military members from New York and Rhode Island interested in meeting their Senator/Congressman."

During the meal, Clinton remarked that "Many American people do not support this war, but I support the troops." One GI, a combat veteran from Rochester, asked her why she came if that was how she felt, got up and left the table. An aide tried to bring him back but was told to "butt out" by the GI, who did not return.

People magazine and the NY Times were on hand to cover the event and wanted to interview the troops for reaction to Clinton's visit.

"But they were getting declined left and right," our source said. "Soldiers were actually telling the reporters, 'You don't want to print what I think about her and her visit.'"

After Clinton and her entourage departed, the only topics GIs wanted to talk about were "how great the food was and how fantastic they thought George Bush's visit to Iraq was." The reporters didn't even bother to write their comments down and left shortly thereafter.

Source: NewsMax (an on-line military newsletter in Afghanistan, Kuwait and Iraq)

2. lilcountriegal

lilcountriegal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The only reason she went to Afghanistan in the first place was for political reasons... she cares little to nothing about our troops and their cause. This was nothing more than a staged media event. She is not looking to support our troops, only to further her political cause.

I'm sure many people, when reading my post, will compare Billary's Afghanistan visit to Bush's visit to Iraq. The only comparison is that two political figures visited our soldiers stationed overseas. One did not stage photo ops; one did not make the soldiers wait to eat; one was welcomed whole heartedly by the troops. One was not.

They should have taken their turkey and shoved it up her ass.

Bush in Iraq v Hillary in Afghanistan

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    The soldier in that picture is a friend of mine from West Point. But I can't remember her name to save my life... AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!

4. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, but I am. I don't care why Hillary went. I applaud her for going. At least she, out of a cast of hundreds, had the balls to go there and eat with the troops. You have got to respect that kind of action- she could just as easily have gotten press here in the US or somewhere else and goodness knows she's certainly garnered her share.

I may be in the minority here but I give her props for that one.

5. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I'll give her props too, just not as much. Credit where credit is due, although I think her intentions were misguided.

Besides, any time she is away from NY is a good thing!

6. lilcountriegal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    No disrespect intended what-so-ever, but I'll have to disagree with you guys on this one. I think her going over there makes her even a bigger ass than she already is (if thats possible). IMHO, she is using the troops as a prop. Sure she could have staged other media events for exposure throughout the US, but none would have the impact than this visit to the troops. Not only is she using our troops for her own political advancement, but being disrespectful to them at the same time.

7. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    With all due respect, I agree with Jim. Bush and her were doing the exact same thing, supporting their troops. I mean she does hold a military function in your senate if i remember correctly. I figure it was probably both politically motivated, but hey, they are politicians. At least they are both sending the right message.

8. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I'm with Lil Countrie here.

Simply political maneuverings for her 2008 bid. She's trying to find a more 'centered' stance as Bubba did to garner the moderate votes, hence the real reason behind the trip.

The Clintons have expressed their loathing for the military, it's no secret. She's trying to remake herself & it's sickening.

9. lilcountriegal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The only similarities between the two visits that I see are 1) both Dubya and Billary are politicians; and 2) they took time out of their own holidays to spend with our troops.

After that, its beyond comparison. Clinton staged photo ops (which pretty much proved her agenda), held up troops eating their holiday meal ~ they were away from family, that was the only holiday meal they ate ~ by being an hour late, jumped line and made those actually fighting for the country wait. The troops pretty much didnt even want/care about her visit. Bush, on the other hand, staged no photo ops (other than the one picture of him holding the entire turkey). He stepped from behind a screen to the surprise and cheering of the soldiers. Bush had a hard time holding his emotions in as he thanked our soldiers for everything they are doing, even as he fought back tears. Instead of holding the soldiers up from eating, he served them their dinner. That, to me, shows incredible honor. Can you imagine being served your Thanksgiving dinner by the President of the United States? So as they were both politicians enjoying dinner with our troops.... they were carried out in a completely different manner.

This is one of those issues that is so miniscule that even people of the same political party will differ (obviously) which is fine. I cant stand either of the Clintons, and I probably would find a gripe even if she took up Sainthood. In this instance, I think I have a point, even if it is a little one.

:p:

10. NightTrain

NightTrain VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Well said, LCG. I agree completely.

LMAO I feel your pain, Sister! :beer: