High teachers' salaries are driving up taxes

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009

Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or ten months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do -- babysit!

We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and planning -- that equals 6-1/2 hours).

So each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585 a day.However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

LET'S SEE....That's $585 X 180= $105,300 per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries). What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6-1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year. Wait a minute -- there's something wrong here!

There sure is! The average teacher's salary (nationwide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77 per day / 30 students = $9.25 / 6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student -- a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!!!!

<snip>

Meredith Menden

If you have a facebook acct, post this to show appreciation for all educators.

I can't tell if this is serious or not, but it's disgusting that some people would actually think this way.

What is it that you find disgusting about educators being paid less than babysitters?

Let's see...

First....a classroom with 30 kids in it probably won't be that effective.

But, if you want to pursue that line of thinking...why not let it play out.

That means that if you don't want your kids to go to school (homeschool them), you could save $3.00/hour and your kids would be in a much smaller classroom.

Now that would be wonderful.

Why doesn't the moron author suggest people who don't send their kids to school not be expected to pay taxes ?

What a boon to families. Better educated kids, not exposed to a lot of stupidity of public schools, and money saved for families.

Sounds like a win to me.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think we pay GOOD teachers near enough. And I think we pay BAD teachers way to much (if we continue to pay them at all).

But schools are now big business and the forces don't really care about the kids.

BTW: If you want to pay them...then they can save for their own retirement. Many school systems used to let teachers retire after 25 years (meaning before 50) at 60% salary (which could go on for 40 years today). I noticed the author didn't include that in her calculations.

It's easy to print this kind of tripe when suckers will read it.

Last edited:
A teacher's day doesn't end at the last school bell. They go home, grade papers, prepare for the next day, get up an hour early to do more preparation... Mrs. H. used to be a school teacher. They pull 12 hour days and get paid for 8.

That said, I could give a flying fuck. Because despite the hard work and long days, once your in you are "in". And set for life.

But - it all depends on who you know and to whom you are related. Your talents don't matter, your connections do.

Education is based upon nepotism, favoritism, and cronyism. It's not based upon your ability to give benefit to your students.

Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work nine or ten months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do -- babysit!

That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and planning -- that equals 6-1/2 hours).

So each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585 a day.However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

LET'S SEE....That's $585 X 180= $105,300 per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries). What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6-1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year. Wait a minute -- there's something wrong here!

There sure is! The average teacher's salary (nationwide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77 per day / 30 students = $9.25 / 6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student -- a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!!!!

<snip>

Meredith Menden

Can't believe you want any one to take you serious by posting a blog from the daily kos, that's as bad as a righty posting from the blaze

<snip>

Meredith Menden

Can't believe you want any one to take you serious by posting a blog from the daily kos, that's as bad as a righty posting from the blaze

The point is, teachers are seriously underpaid.

<snip>

Meredith Menden

The point is, teachers are seriously underpaid.

I understand the point so am so sick and tired of re-teaching the kids that came from schools , like common sense, read the danger signs so you don't get your Fucking fingers cut off on a conveyor

Teachers today don't even teach basics

And us in industry have to 're teach them, that was their Fucking job. Not ours....

They don't pay me enough star, to educate the stupid kids they graduate and I have to deal with in the real world.

A teacher's day doesn't end at the last school bell. They go home, grade papers, prepare for the next day, get up an hour early to do more preparation... Mrs. H. used to be a school teacher. They pull 12 hour days and get paid for 8.

That said, I could give a flying fuck. Because despite the hard work and long days, once your in you are "in". And set for life.

But - it all depends on who you know and to whom you are related. Your talents don't matter, your connections do.

Education is based upon nepotism, favoritism, and cronyism. It's not based upon your ability to give benefit to your students.
You tell 'em Webster...

They don't pay me enough star, to educate the stupid kids they graduate and I have to deal with in the real world.
No shit, the only thing I might consider is college or university, but the damn rules are so strict on personal words and activity...Or the gag rule..

<snip>

Meredith Menden

If it's such a wonderful deal, why don't you do it?

Forum List

Back