"Hi...welcome to Walmart...my name is Pepper and I'm here to help you shop!

well i guess when this happens people really will have to learn new skills. Until then pay them a decent wage for the job they ARE doing.

I happened to run to our Wal Mart this morning. They have a sign up says now looking for help , starting pay $10/Hr. So the BS that Wal Mart can't afford $10/Hr is DEBUNKED

will some lazy employees who aren't worth $10/Hr get the heave ho? Yep. Too bad.. Make yourself worth $10/Hr.

Walmart is actually putting on more cashiers in response to customer complaints...

...which if nothing else proves they can afford to.
Prove it! Where is your substantiation for YOUR WILD guess comment?
FACT: Walmart is putting more in for the HOLIDAY SEASON... will be cut back and more self service installed!!!
In an attempt to lure more customers this holiday season, Wal-Mart Stores Inc.WMT +0.45% is promising to staff each of its cash register from the day after Thanksgiving through the days just before Christmas during peak shopping times.
http://online.wsj.com/articles/wal-mart-pledges-to-staff-checkout-lanes-during-holidays-1408112765

FACT:
When customer service becomes self-service
Whether you’re banking or buying groceries, companies are moving toward a do-it-yourself approach. Here’s how to survive and thrive.
To save money. A customer-service transaction handled by a live agent usually costs between $2 and $10, compared with just pennies for, say, placing an order online, says John Goodman, vice chairman of Customer Care Measurement & Consulting, based in Alexandria, Va.

When that happens, even the self-checkout might become obsolete, because customers could complete the process by wheeling their carts nonstop through a barrier—like a high-speed E-ZPass lane on a highway—that automatically totals all of the items and bills you electronically.
When Customer Service Becomes Self-Service - Consumer Reports

But again idiots like you that call for raising minimum wage are doing nothing but pushing more and more unemployment of the very people you wanted to HELP!
Remember... less then 3.3 million people work at minimum wage!
Of those 1 million are ages 16 to 19 and THEIR ONLY job value they bring to the entry level jobs are being in attendance ON time every day!
Those characteristics CAN BE REPLACED by robots!
Idiots like you and other that jump to conclusions WITHOUT the facts are what is really causing the unemployment of people that need just entry level skills and you are eliminating them with your stupid push to raise minimum wage!
I started working in 1958 at $1.00 hour at my local supermarket.
That's what I was worth at 16 years old as it required ONLY my being there on time and every day! Over the years I learned more and more and my skill sets which at with my knowledge base puts me in a unique class of less then 100 people in the USA having the same set of skills and knowledge. But it started at a entry level $1.00 hr job which is what these 16 to 19 years WILL lose when minimum wage increases to $15.00!

What if the cost of the robot works out to $1.00 an hour for Walmart? Do you really expect American workers to work for 99 cents an hour to compete with the machine?

Who f...king cares???
AGAIN it is the FACT these people are the ones that are going to get hurt!
And idiots supporting this gigantic jump of 30% across all states by Federal government regardless of the cost of living WHICH by the way is MANAGED by each state... that is so stupid!
Some states don't need the $10.00 federal minimum!
Some states do but this is again where ONE SIZE fits all idiocy comes into play!
AND NOW we have the alternatives...lay these 16 to 19 years old off!

SEE the latest hamburger flipper!!!
Here's The Burger-Flipping Robot That Could Put Fast-Food Workers Out Of A Job

A company called Momentum Machines has built a robot that could radically change the fast-food industry and have some line cooks looking for new jobs.

The company's robot can "slice toppings like tomatoes and pickles immediately before it places the slice onto your burger, giving you the freshest burger possible." The robot is "more consistent, more sanitary, and can produce ~360 hamburgers per hour." That's one burger every 10 seconds.

The next generation of the device will offer "custom meat grinds for every single customer. Want a patty with 1/3 pork and 2/3 bison ground to order? No problem."

Read more: Momentum Machines Burger Robot - Business Insider

Walmart is actually putting on more cashiers in response to customer complaints...

FACT: Walmart is putting more in for the HOLIDAY SEASON... will be cut back and more self service installed!!!
In an attempt to lure more customers this holiday season, Wal-Mart Stores Inc.WMT +0.45% is promising to staff each of its cash register from the day after Thanksgiving through the days just before Christmas during peak shopping times.
http://online.wsj.com/articles/wal-mart-pledges-to-staff-checkout-lanes-during-holidays-1408112765

FACT:
Whether you’re banking or buying groceries, companies are moving toward a do-it-yourself approach. Here’s how to survive and thrive.
To save money. A customer-service transaction handled by a live agent usually costs between $2 and $10, compared with just pennies for, say, placing an order online, says John Goodman, vice chairman of Customer Care Measurement & Consulting, based in Alexandria, Va.

When that happens, even the self-checkout might become obsolete, because customers could complete the process by wheeling their carts nonstop through a barrier—like a high-speed E-ZPass lane on a highway—that automatically totals all of the items and bills you electronically.

But again idiots like you that call for raising minimum wage are doing nothing but pushing more and more unemployment of the very people you wanted to HELP!
Of those 1 million are ages 16 to 19 and THEIR ONLY job value they bring to the entry level jobs are being in attendance ON time every day!
Idiots like you and other that jump to conclusions WITHOUT the facts are what is really causing the unemployment of people that need just entry level skills and you are eliminating them with your stupid push to raise minimum wage!
That's what I was worth at 16 years old as it required ONLY my being there on time and every day! Over the years I learned more and more and my skill sets which at with my knowledge base puts me in a unique class of less then 100 people in the USA having the same set of skills and knowledge. But it started at a entry level $1.00 hr job which is what these 16 to 19 years WILL lose when minimum wage increases to $15.00!

What if the cost of the robot works out to $1.00 an hour for Walmart? Do you really expect American workers to work for 99 cents an hour to compete with the machine?

Who f...king cares???
And idiots supporting this gigantic jump of 30% across all states by Federal government regardless of the cost of living WHICH by the way is MANAGED by each state... that is so stupid!
Some states do but this is again where ONE SIZE fits all idiocy comes into play!

A company called Momentum Machines has built a robot that could radically change the fast-food industry and have some line cooks looking for new jobs.

The company's robot can "slice toppings like tomatoes and pickles immediately before it places the slice onto your burger, giving you the freshest burger possible." The robot is "more consistent, more sanitary, and can produce ~360 hamburgers per hour." That's one burger every 10 seconds.

The next generation of the device will offer "custom meat grinds for every single customer. Want a patty with 1/3 pork and 2/3 bison ground to order? No problem."

If the robot can do it for 1.00 an hour, what does it matter if the minimum wage is $8, or $12?

NyCarbineer wrote:

I would expect American workers to look after their own self interests, and learn some marketable skills, so that they do not have to compete with machines. Or, is that expecting too much from today's youth?

If I was a young man in today's world, I would be learning how to design, construct, and/or maintain the machines.

NyCarbineer wrote:

I would expect American workers to look after their own self interests, and learn some marketable skills, so that they do not have to compete with machines. Or, is that expecting too much from today's youth?

If I was a young man in today's world, I would be learning how to design, construct, and/or maintain the machines.

No, I expect that American workers will find some other job. Just as they always have when technology replaces the one they had previous.

When cars replaced buggies did the guy who was making buggy whips for $.40 an hour run to his boss and exclaim "boss I can make buggy whips for $.20 an hour, don't replace me" or did he go find another industry to work in?

Technology is making jobs obsolete everyday and that has NOTHING I repeat NOTHING to do with the minimum wage. you cold make the minimum wage $1 a day and at some point wal mart will automate many of those jobs.

Good businessmen constantly look to reduce costs associated with their line of business. Labor is a large continuing cost, but that has to be compared with the upfront costs of replacing labor with machines, and the continuing costs of maintaining the machines. When the math favors the machines, the machines will be installed.

What's that? You want a living wage for a low-skill job meant for teens and retirees?

Go home, unskilled worker.

FACT:

Who f...king cares???

If the robot can do it for 1.00 an hour, what does it matter if the minimum wage is $8, or $12?
Well for one you are looking at a 50% increase in labor costs... something that is totally unacceptable because as much as you capitalist haters seem to ignore.. "profit" is what keeps people employed!
Without "profits" there is no need for the business.
Without profits by the way there are no tax payments.
The issue to me has never been raising minimum wage for those less then 2 million that are over
age 25 a reasonable increase BASED on individual state's cost of living.
Why have a uniform MW of $12 when in Mississippi that is way out of whack!
While NYC that is what it is in most cases! So why the need for a FEDERAL one size fits all?
The other issue is at this cost it makes sense to replace the hamburger flipper with robot.
At this $12 rate why are low skilled 16 year old paid this when a robot can replace?
It really and truly isn't the $$ but the net profits that are now going to be attacked and without profits no need to stay open!

FACT:

Who f...king cares???

Well for one you are looking at a 50% increase in labor costs... something that is totally unacceptable because as much as you capitalist haters seem to ignore.. "profit" is what keeps people employed!
The issue to me has never been raising minimum wage for those less then 2 million that are over
While NYC that is what it is in most cases! So why the need for a FEDERAL one size fits all?
The other issue is at this cost it makes sense to replace the hamburger flipper with robot.
At this $12 rate why are low skilled 16 year old paid this when a robot can replace?
It really and truly isn't the $$ but the net profits that are now going to be attacked and without profits no need to stay open!

You want to know why we need a federal minimum? Look at Oklahoma,for example. There state minimum wage is $2.00 an hour for any company than less than 10 employees.

Come on on, $2 an hour?

The federal minimum wage law says in essence "too bad Oklahoma, ALL employers must pay federal min wage."

And ask yourself this, if each state is different than why do 18 states have the same exact rate as the federal minimum?

Think logically my friend.

FACT:

Who f...king cares???

You want to know why we need a federal minimum? Look at Oklahoma,for example. There state minimum wage is $2.00 an hour for any company than less than 10 employees.

Come on on, $2 an hour?

The federal minimum wage law says in essence "too bad Oklahoma, ALL employers must pay federal min wage."

And ask yourself this, if each state is different than why do 18 states have the same exact rate as the federal minimum?

Think logically my friend.
YOU speak of "logic"???
Then why do 32 states have DIFFERENT minimum rates????

FACT:
Of the 947,000 workers paid hourly rates in Oklahoma in 2013,
29,000 earned exactly the prevailing federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour, while 31,000 earned less, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today.
Regional Commissioner Stanley W. Suchman noted that the 60,000 workers earning the federal minimum wage or less made up 6.3 percent of all hourly-paid workers in the state.

Nationwide, those earning the federal minimum or less accounted for 4.3 percent of the hourly-paid workforce.
(The Oklahoma minimum wage is equal to the prevailing federal minimum wage.)
Minimum Wage Workers in Oklahoma-2013

COST OF LIVING LESS in Oklahoma...
Our cost of living indices are based on a US average of 100.
An amount below 100 means Oklahoma, OK is cheaper than the US average.
A cost of living index above 100 means Oklahoma, OK is more expensive.
Overall, Oklahoma, OK cost of living is 84.20.
So OK is 16% less then the US average so WHY penalize OK businesses for having lower cost of living?
Cost of Living in Oklahoma

The main though you keep forgetting "logically" is WHO will be penalized the most for raising by almost 50% the Federal minimum wage?
And also Logically you keep forgetting raising to $10.10 is NOT the total cost to the employer!
I am confident YOU don't know that employers pay an equal amount of 6.2% SS and 1.45% Medicare tax so add that to the $10.10 becomes $10.80!
Again you're not using logic considering that raising the rate nearly 50% will totally wipe out profits!
PROFITS are why there are businesses. Wipe out profits wipes out businesses and therefore jobs!
Congratulations... you are like Obama so hateful of "capitalism" and businesses you are happy to
see them destroyed... except WHO will pay the taxes???

1500 dollars seems unreasonable I am thinking it will cost 10 times that amount.

Believe it or not there are people that you just can not teach to be brain surgeons. What are we to do with these people? But them on the welfare wagon and let them ride that their entire life? What are the illegals that are flooding our country going to do? Uneducated, unskilled and speaking Spanish, what is their success path.

I am thinking if people are replaced by robots I will do my best not to frequent that store. But price does rule.

I am thinking that it would cost too much to maintain a robot but then I realize with health care as messed up as it is today, in regards to cost, maintaining an employee isn't cheap either. But since we are not going the Soyant Green path those people will need health care. So again, it comes down to who pays.

I get no joy out of seeing people lose jobs, I am really not sure why many seem to find joy.

Who is finding JOY ? I'm not!
I'm trying to point out that the COSTS of keeping entry level burger flipping jobs is NOW going to justify letting those entry level, 16 to 19 years off!
That is wrong!
Again deal with the realities of WHO gets minimum wages!!!
In 1980, 15 percent of hourly workers earned the minimum wage.
Today that share is down to only 4.7 percent.
Almost Everything You Have Been Told About The Minimum Wage Is False - Forbes

Per the below the average hourly worker's wage above minimum is $14.77 per hour.
http://www.peri.umass.edu/fileadmin/pdf/published_study/PERI_WorkPay.pdf

So two events that you seem ok with can occur either both or one in either case..
A) Since 25% of the 3.3 million are between ages 16 and 19 raising minimum wage by 30% means it is cheaper to hire robots and or convert to self service.
Thus most food service employers will look at ways to reduce this 30% increase either by raising their prices or letting people go i.e. the 16 to 19s!
B) The other event is the non-minimum worker will want pay increases.. And if just 10% of the 75 million hourly workers i.e. 7.5 million want their current $14.77 /hour rate raised to $21.00 (equal 48% increase from 7.25 to 10.80) this would mean businesses have to pay out annually:
7.5 million x $7.00(difference between $21 from $14) x 40 x 52 equal to cost to businesses from RAISING wages on non-minimum wage earners)=$110.5 billion
That $110 billion from raising 10% of the above minimum average wage earner's due to raising minimum wage on 3.3 million 25% age 16 to 19!

Forum List

Back