Hey...Were We Sold Out?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I wonder if most folks know that a treaty, once ratified, becomes the full force of the Constitution...

1."An official of the lower house of the Duma says that as it ratifies the new Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty, START, the Russian parliament will reaffirm that the treaty limits U.S. plans for missile defense, contrary to the stated position of U.S. officials.

Asked for comment, White House spokesman Tommy Vietor tells ABC News, "The President sent a letter to the Senate on December 18th that said: ‘The New Start Treaty places no limitations on the development or deployment of our missile defense programs.' That remains the case."

... Republican lawmakers voiced concern that that recognizing the "interrelationship" between offensive and defensive weapons could be seen as a way to limit US plans for a missile defense system in Europe." White House Contradicts Russian Duma Official on Linkage Between Missile Defense and START - Political Punch

2. "Well, someone’s wrong about START, and the Russians think it’s us. Usually, this kind of confusion gets resolved during treaty negotiations, not after one side has already ratified the pact and the other is about to do the same. Apparently, one or both sides brought negotiators who weren’t very good at negotiating.

This leaves us with very little assurance that Obama has not bargained away missile defense.

Here is the passage in the treaty that the Russians insist is a limitation on further development of missile defense, emphasis mine:
Recognizing the existence of the interrelationship between strategic offensive arms and strategic defensive arms, that this interrelationship will become more important as strategic nuclear arms are reduced, and that current strategic defensive arms do not undermine the viability and effectiveness of the strategic offensive arms of the Parties,..."
White House says Russians wrong about missile-defense limitations in START Hot Air

3. "For Brutus is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable men--"
Julius Caesar, Act 3, Scene 2

hot air is a good name for that blog. :thup:

Actually, it's a really good point. The military is buzzing about it. Just sayin'. This is what happens when you elect someone who has absolutely no experience, and that somebody surrounds himself with others who have absolutely no experience. Any sane individual - no matter what their political persuasion - should be more than a tad concerned about the devil in the detail of START.

Actually, it's a really good point. The military is buzzing about it. Just sayin'. This is what happens when you elect someone who has absolutely no experience, and that somebody surrounds himself with others who have absolutely no experience. Any sane individual - no matter what their political persuasion - should be more than a tad concerned about the devil in the detail of START.

hon. it's a bunch of BS. i think i'll take the word of every former president and every former secretary of state over a bunch of rightwing static.

hon. it's a bunch of BS. i think i'll take the word of every former president and every former secretary of state over a bunch of rightwing static.

I prefer taking the word of actual military guys who actually know what they're talking about to a bunch of lying SOBs in the political arena. I'm just a natural born skeptic.

I prefer taking the word of actual military guys who actually know what they're talking about to a bunch of lying SOBs in the political arena. I'm just a natural born skeptic.

i'm pretty sure colin powell was an actual military guy

so was daddy bush.

Powell's been out for quite a while. When the Military are concerned, I am concerned. They don't play politics.

Powell's been out for quite a while. When the Military are concerned, I am concerned. They don't play politics.

The military do have a hand in politics, California Girl. True, they don't have any direct influence, but they wield a great deal of influence when it comes to political decisions that impact the military itself.

Ever heard of the "Khaki Vote"? It's how the military will twist a governments arm up behind their back, in that if the government refuses to to increase kit or buy new, vital equipment commanders deem necessary to ensure safety or success, they'll inform the governemt that they've unofficially directed (had a quiet 'word') their subordinates to spread the word amongst personnel and their families not to back certain members of government or the bills military commanders believe will work against the military achieving their objective. The government know that the military make-up a sizable chunk of the electorate, and that any sedition from the military could seriously hamper the government. Many analysts and correspondents claim it was the nail in Gordon Brown's political coffin, in that he refused to supply more Chinook helicopters to British forces in Afghanistan, so the military voted against him. Instead of seeing their vote as their say; they saw it as a way of making a tactical decision.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back