Heroin dealer allegedly posts bail with his ebt card

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards (the debit card equivalent of food stamps) have been at the center of a heated national discussion on welfare reform. There have been numerous reports of EBT card abuse and some states have started cracking down on card holders. Of course, whenever someone talks about welfare reform, one side of the political spectrum claims it’s “racially motivated.”

However, even those claims might be put aside for a moment in Massachusetts after a heroin allegedly posted bail with his EBT card.

“A convicted drug dealer…is the new face of welfare abuse, according to tough-minded lawmakers who are pushing…for a crackdown,” John Zaremba and Chris Cassidy of the Boston Herald write.

Kimball Clark, 45, was arrested on Friday on drug related charges — again. Yeah, he’s a multiple offender.

Heroin Dealer Allegedly Posts Bail With EBT Card | Video | TheBlaze.com

people doing or selling drugs should not get a dime of taxpayer's money..

Using the Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) Card - Health and Human Services - Mass.Gov

They CAN use it to withdraw from an ATM in Mass. Well that's just crazy. Here in VA, you can't use the card anywhere but a grocer or similar retailer to buy food, and you can't use it to get cash back.

You cannot access cash from a grocery store or ATM
with your Virginia EBT card.
http://www.dss.virginia.gov/files/division/bp/ebt/cardholder_info/faq/brochure_english.pdf

They can seriously withdraw cash from the ATM with their EBT card? that doesn't make any sense, I can take that money and go out to the strip club for all they know, thats just madness.

Lmao.

Hope and change.

An EBT card would have enough credit for bail?

That's the part that makes me doubt the story, even though in Mass. it can be used to withdraw from an ATM. Wouldn't the EBT card only access a separate account set up by the state? Surely they don't deposit that money into a person's bank account ....

Using the Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) Card - Health and Human Services - Mass.Gov

They CAN use it to withdraw from an ATM in Mass. Well that's just crazy. Here in VA, you can't use the card anywhere but a grocer or similar retailer to buy food, and you can't use it to get cash back.

You cannot access cash from a grocery store or ATM
with your Virginia EBT card.
http://www.dss.virginia.gov/files/division/bp/ebt/cardholder_info/faq/brochure_english.pdf

They can seriously withdraw cash from the ATM with their EBT card? that doesn't make any sense, I can take that money and go out to the strip club for all they know, thats just madness.

Obviously, Massachusetts needs to tweak their law. That doesn't make the entire program bad. Here, it can only be used for food (or seeds/plants to grow food), period.

Obviously, Massachusetts needs to tweak their law. That doesn't make the entire program bad. Here, it can only be used for food (or seeds/plants to grow food), period.

The whole point of the EBT card is to buy food though, if I can use it to withdraw hard cash I can use that money for anything I want, thats not right.

The whole point of the EBT card is to buy food though, if I can use it to withdraw hard cash I can use that money for anything I want, thats not right.

Yeah, I know. Here they can only purchase food (and stuff to grow food). The card makes sense, and is most likely more efficient, easier to keep track of and so on ... until you allow it to be used as an ATM card.

Yeah, I know. Here they can only purchase food (and stuff to grow food). The card makes sense, and is most likely more efficient, easier to keep track of and so on ... until you allow it to be used as an ATM card.

Allowing it be used at an ATM is just madness, I bet people are abusing that like hell up in MA.

Allowing it be used at an ATM is just madness, I bet people are abusing that like hell up in MA.

Somewhere on the VA website I read that misusing the EBT card --- for anything other than what it was intended for --- is not only a state crime but Federal too. Are the Federal rules so lax that they'd allow this? I wonder how many other states allow it to be used to get cash?

Forum List

Back