Here's a thought....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Steelplate, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Did you ever think that the reason that people have less children these days is because they can't afford them?

Seriously... back in the 50's and 60's, people were having 3, 4. 5 and even 6 kids/family. Nowadays, you can BARELY scrape by with 2. I know... My wife and I have two... one we put through college and another that is starting this fall semester.

Our oldest is getting married on the 26th of May 2012. We just bought their Wedding present(a bedroom suite) NOW, because a local bedding store is going out of business.... which BTW, I asked the OWNER the reason why..... it wasn't that they pay too much taxes... or are regulated too much... it was simply that they cannot afford to compete with the Conglomerates, who have all the power and all the money... 47 years in business... gone to shit. Thanks Corporatists and Big Business supporters. Another local business down the drain because "Bigger is better".

Anyway... the point is... Families used to be able to have a large number of children, because their wages could support them. Nowadays... it can't.

THINK....The deal with "entitlements" are that there are more people retiring than there are people to pay into the system... who's to blame for that?.... yeah.. let's keep bottom lining the working people of America... and then complain that "government doesn't work". It's ingenuous in nature... but if you look beyond the surface... it's really easy to decipher.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Full-Auto

Full-Auto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,615
    Its a bit more complicated then that. I know what struggling to raise a family is. Ive raised 4 and now 3 grandchildren. I didnt look for others to come to my rescue. Before I opened my own business I worked two full time jobs.

Back in the 50 and 60s we didnt have abortion on demand. The left wasnt pushing single parent households.

Congrats on the wedding My youngest gets married in Sept. They dont plan on children until they at least are 26. Both attending college.

Like anything in life you adapt.

3. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,753
    To a certain degree you are right... Back in the 50's and 60's the wife usually stayed home and took care of the children and life was much simpler. People saved up to buy the things they wanted and relied very little on credit. Homes were much simpler, cars were much simpler - everything was simpler when you stop to think about it. There was less techno gizmos to spend your money on. Kids actually played outdoors with each other instead of staying indoors glued to a video game like they do now. Then along came the credit card, bigger and more fancier houses, cars, electronic stuff, and the list goes on and on. Instead of saving for things like was done in the past, people began to rely more and more on the ease of using credit cards and "instant gratification" became the norm. So, to meet the need for more income, the wife began to work outside of the home and kids began to fend for themselves with less and less supervision. Thus we have todays world. Nobody is happy with their salary now and blame the company they work for because they don't pay them enough to live the lavish lifestyle they desire when in actuallity they are paid what the job is really worth. It isn't the fault of business that money is tight and it's difficult to raise a family. It's our own fault for becoming so greedy and thinking things that we don't really need are essential for everyday normal life. Case in point, does your 15 year old kid really need to have a cell phone? I rest my case.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  4. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,085
    BC pills have a LOT to do with it.

5. hellofromwarsaw

hellofromwarsaw BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    30 years of voodoo and pandering to the rich get you...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,770
    which you will soon be required to pay for..

7. Tank

Tank Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hispanic's are having many kids, no problemo

8. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    None of the above.

The more technologically advanced the society, the more it trends toward lower population growth.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

9. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Oh... I am not saying you are necessarily wrong... a 15 year old doesn't need a cell phone... but that's where we have evolved to, isn't it? Instant Gratification is the norm. But, you have to realize that it's not just the "everyman's" fault. It is also... I would even venture so far as to say a ratio of.... 70/30 or perhaps 60/40.... the fault of big business and it's conspirator, Big banking's. Big business will convince you(through the medium of excessive advertising(you hear it enough times, it becomes truth), that you "need" their product... and big banking is more than willing to lend you the money on a little plastic card to get that product you "need so bad".

Sure... there are some(very few) that will resist temptation... but most will be suckered in to one extent or another to their ploys.

I mean... I'll even be willing to go as far as 50/50... But the truth is... money and power is on the conglomerate's side.... that's why I skew it slightly in their direction. They know most of us cannot afford it... but they don't care. Once the deal is done... it's no longer in their hands.

10. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932

I'd love you to be able to prove your point... since there has been no other advanced of a society since... oh... before the Civil War, perhaps...

Now, granted... that doesn't take into account the theory of "ancient aliens" or anything like that... but basically.... the world has only progressed beyond horse and buggy since a little before the Civil War(think transcontinental railroad).

Have fun proving your point.