Here's a question for you

Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
Does anyone know what RSVP means?

I am sitting here making out my son's birthday invitations, and It has gotten to the point that i have to write on the invite to please call and tell us if you can come, because for some strange reason no one seems to know what RSVP means anymore!!!

The lack of MANNERS, ETIQUETTE, and MORAL DECENCY in this world is just appalling! :bang3: :bang3: :bang3: :bang3:

Oh I just have to tell you what my 5 year old did yesterday he was so sweet!!! We went to football practice and when we were parking he told me to take my seat belt off, but wait for him, because he wanted to open my door for me, so i could get out. Isnt that sweet !!!!!! He actually did it to!!! He may actually grow up to be a very nice gentleman!

Yep. It means: respondez s'il vous plait. English translation: respond if you please.

No one answers your request anymore. People don't want to tell you no so they don't bother. And the ones that show up, well they couldn't find anything else to do so, why not attend?
They never stop to think about the expense you go to. Even for weddings & other formal occassions.
Don't even want to get started on 'manners'!

Joz said:
Yep. It means: respondez s'il vous plait. English translation: respond if you please.

No one answers your request anymore. People don't want to tell you no so they don't bother. And the ones that show up, well they couldn't find anything else to do so, why not attend?
They never stop to think about the expense you go to. Even for weddings & other formal occassions.

I always thought it meant Respond very promptly?

Sometimes you get an invitation that says: RSVP REGRETS ONLY.

Which means exactly what it says. The person extending the invite is expecting you to attend the function. If you do plan to attend no response is needed. However, if you do not plan on attending you should respond & give your regrets. No explanation for not attending is necessary.

Joz said:

Oh my God, Finally someone else that knows what it means, Joz remind me to send you an invite atleast I know I'll get a response from you. :banana:

What do you think the odds are of getting a response back from 16 kindergartener's? I'm thinking maybe 1 in 16

It's not used in English. It's a foreign phrase used by Americans. We use a lot of foreign phrases because we are a country comprised mainly of immigrants who brought their language and culture with them. We allow stuff like that here. I hope you don't mind.

dilloduck said:
It's not used in English. It's a foreign phrase used by Americans. We use a lot of foreign phrases because we are a country comprised mainly of immigrants who brought their language and culture with them. We allow stuff like that here. I hope you don't mind.

Don't forget us english Canadians SVP. Drop the "R" and in short, it simply means "please". :poke: What else can I say, another tete du carre. :D

padisha emperor said:
"tete du carre" ?

French Canadian term for English Canadians. We call them frogs or pepi's, they call us "tete du carre" meaning square head or head of square - depending on how french you are. There may be a more literal translation, but that's what I know it to mean.

Dilloduck said:
meat head

You could say meat head too Dillo - tete du tartar (Ok, ok, I just made that up :D). Isn't tartar raw hamburger meat or raw steak?

Ok, thanks Sandy...
In France, when somebody says something near your "tete du carre", it's "tête au carré", and it means he will kick and hit somebody : he wants transform his head in a square...but it's no more use....or less at least. ;)

First I understood your "tête du carré" like the one i've explain, but in your sentence it would not mean anything if it was this :

Don't forget us english Canadians SVP. Drop the "R" and in short, it simply means "please". What else can I say, another tete du carre.

So, thanks for the answer ;)

padisha emperor said:
Ok, thanks Sandy...
In France, when somebody says something near your "tete du carre", it's "tête au carré", and it means he will kick and hit somebody : he wants transform his head in a square...but it's no more use....or less at least. ;)

First I understood your "tête du carré" like the one i've explain, but in your sentence it would not mean anything if it was this :

So, thanks for the answer ;)

Your translation is probably a little more fitting than mine. But both are close aren't they?
My knowledge of French is very limited at best. Plus what I do know is broken, or typical Ottawa/Gatineau slang you pick up on the "streets". You could say I speak Ghetto French :D
I was under the impression French Canadians and Europeans do not speak the same French. When learning French in Canada, you are taught international French, making things very confusing for those trying to learn. If you pick it up on the "streets", it's all broken, and everything is said backwards with 20 "le, le's" added to the end of each sentance (and they call us square heads). :rolleyes:

BTW, I wasn't calling you a square head, just a little joke. I would call you a Frog :D and I would mean it in the nicest way.

padisha emperor said:
"repondez s'il vous plait", without S ;)

I'm not sure what this means but I did spell it right. I just looked it up.

khafley said:
Oh my God, Finally someone else that knows what it means, Joz remind me to send you an invite atleast I know I'll get a response from you. :banana:

What do you think the odds are of getting a response back from 16 kindergartener's? I'm thinking maybe 1 in 16

Sure, I like birthday parties! Just not the 16 kindergarteners! You need your head examined! AND I'll be curious, too, how many responses you get. Please post back here & let us know.

Joz said:
Sure, I like birthday parties! Just not the 16 kindergarteners! You need your head examined! AND I'll be curious, too, how many responses you get. Please post back here & let us know.

givem free trips to AL in their goodie bags! :gross2:

Joz said:

I did follow the rule, one guest for each year of age. Exception: 1 year old, that was huge!

Sure Said1, the french is different in the Quebec and in France, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg.

The canadian french is the french of the XVIIth century. It is the Samuel Champlain's french ;). the accent is probably the accent of the settlers, so of the French of the XVIIth c.

padisha emperor said:
Sure Said1, the french is different in the Quebec and in France, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg.

The canadian french is the french of the XVIIth century. It is the Samuel Champlain's french ;). the accent is probably the accent of the settlers, so of the French of the XVIIth c.

I live in Ontario, not Quebec. People have created their own language of sorts, mixed with french and english words. Impossible to understand unless you are totally surrounded by it (which I am by the way :D).

I understand spatial differences between all languages do exsist, but the french spoken here is similar to pig latin le,le. :D Isaac Brock speaks perfect French, I'm almost jealous, I have to take a course!

How do you swear in French?

Forum List

Back