Help!!!

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Bad, BAD computer!! What am I NOT doing right today? I'm trying to run the Senate Finance Committee markup hearings on C-Span in the background, and can't keep more than one screen going at the same time. I'm usually able to easily run both, so I can listen to the hearings on the one behind the screen I'm reading and navigate by just moving the cursor from front to back if I want to. I've done this numerous times, so either something mysterious happened that I don't know how to fix, or I'm having a senior moment and drawing a blank.

Does anyone have an uncomplicated answer?

Bad, BAD computer!! What am I NOT doing right today? I'm trying to run the Senate Finance Committee markup hearings on C-Span in the background, and can't keep more than one screen going at the same time. I'm usually able to easily run both, so I can listen to the hearings on the one behind the screen I'm reading and navigate by just moving the cursor from front to back if I want to. I've done this numerous times, so either something mysterious happened that I don't know how to fix, or I'm having a senior moment and drawing a blank.

Does anyone have an uncomplicated answer?

Reboot. It also could be a Virus scan. Wait for it to finish.

If the reboot didn't help, try this. (I assume you're on a windows OS)

Hit ctrl>alt>delete, holding all three keys down until the sequence is completed.

Windows task manager will come up, and you will then be able to see all processes that are running, and how much of your resources they are using. You'll probably find one that is using 80-90% of your processor, during these lags you're experiencing.

If so, right click on that process in Task Manager, then click "end process."

It's also possible that the media drivers or players were updated beyond the capabilities of the CPU, in which case you are screwed. But meh, try the recommendations first.

Thanks MM and KK--I have to get offline now anyway, so we'll see what happens this afternoon after I try some suggested resolutions. Stay tuned.

Problem solved. My working screen was too full of shortcuts and other stuff (maximized) and therefore hid the secondary screen. So I resized it and voila!

Thanks, guys.

Forum List

Back